Havanese Forum banner

Fussy eater?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sassy's Mom 
#1 ·
My hav is 5 months old. We have had her for almost a month now and love her so much!

She isn't a big eater and I'm curious how much your pups ate at 5 months?
Snowflake has 1/4 cup of Royal Canin puppy kibble for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She loves canned food so I sometimes mix about a tablespoon of canned food in with her kibble. We use Royal Canin because it's what the breeder used.

Lately she won't eat breakfast and only 1/2 her lunch. She'll sometimes finish her dinner. She's happy, energetic, and her typical self. Not sure what to do.

#2 ·
How much does your puppy weigh? If she is continuing to gain weight, I wouldn't worry too much about how much you are feeding her. Some dogs don't seem as interested in eating in the morning. I don't remember how much Wags was eating at five months. But, he only eats 1/4 cup of dry food twice a day, now that he is almost 2. (Wags weighs 10.5 lbs.)

I do remember that I tried a few different kibbles before I found one that he really seemed to like. He likes both Merrick's grain free chicken and sweet potato and Pure Vita's Bison Entre with sweet potatoes and peas. He also liked Honest Kitchen dehydrated with added ground turkey, but I didn't like how messy his face got with the wet food.

I imagine your dog's taste for food and treats will only grow stronger as she gets a bit older :).

#3 ·
Hola amiga Snowflake! How much do you weigh?

There will be some who will say that Royal Canin is not a good kibble. But that is what my breeder fed me and when I went to my forever home with Momi and Popi, they continued to feed me Royal Canin so to keep me comfortable with my routine. I ate 1/4 cup three times a day and I have grown strong and energetic with Royal Canin. Today, at one year, I weigh 13+ pounds.

Now, at one year, I have switched to Honest Kitchen diet. I now eat twice a day ( 3/8 cup each serving more or less) and I get healthy snacks throughout the day for training - carrots, zucchini, asparagus, brussels sprouts, apple, pear, banana, etc. I love my new diet and I am always ready for more! :hungry:

If Snowflake is "happy, energetic, and her typical self." and she is gaining weight, then maybe she is telling her Momi that she only wants to eat twice a day, 3/8 cup at each serving. Mix in a little boiled chicken (a teaspoon) in with her kibble and see what happens.

It takes some time for new puppy doggies to adapt to their new surroundings, it did for me. I'm sure Snowflake will settle into a routine soon enough.

besos, Ricky Ricardo

#5 · (Edited)
In my doggie opinion, this is not significant. It sounds like a healthy weight to me. I was less than 7.5 lbs, at 5 months and today I weigh 13+ lbs at 12 months, an ideal weight for a male (and that is going to be where I stay more or less). I have heard that a 5% weight gain per month (or a little less) as a puppy doggie is very healthy. In the case of mi amiga Snowflake that would be less than .5 pounds per month and she is a female too, which should be lighter than us he-man males! :brick:

Reloharse (relax), I think you are doing fine. Let Snowflake settle in to her new surroundings and weigh her again in 2 weeks. Keep us posted on Snowflakes progress.

besos, Ricky Ricardo

#7 ·
We just went to the vet yesterday for Baker's third set of shots. He weighed in at 8.2 lbs at 4 months! The vet said Baker's really healthy and not fat at all, though I'm always alarmed when I read that other havs around Baker's age weigh only 5 lbs or so. I was feeding Baker 1/3 cup of kibble twice a day until a trainer said she thought Baker was a little skinny. Now he eats 1/3 cup three times a day. We also take Baker out on 3 walks a day, his afternoon one being his long "walk" with some time off leash time in the yard chasing balls we throw around.

Baker came to me on Royal Canin, too, but I read it wasn't the best food, so I switched him to Orijen. But Orijen made his tummy gurgle, so I switched him to Now Fresh (grain free). He started turning away from Now Fresh towards the end of the bag so I switched him to Pet Kind (salmon and tripe one). He loves it! Could be because Pet Kind has tripe in it. I also like that there are different "flavours" for Pet Kind so I can rotate between the 4 in the future! :)

#8 ·
I was concerned about how little Sassy eats. She'll go two days and only eat about a third cup of kibble and then on the third day she'll eat 3/4 cup. I feed her Acana Wild Prairie, she likes that as well as she did the Royal Canin the breeder had her on.

After learning on this forum that this is pretty typical behavior I'm not so worried but I might try some of the other foods mentioned here.
Thanks
Nadine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.