Havanese Forum banner

A MUST READ

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Havtahava 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you who want to really know about dogs or you think you know "enough" you might be surprised by what this article and Future Book can tell you . It is an excellent depiction of what is changing in our ideas of what dogs are all about. We have been misled by many ideas and methods about dogs for some time now . And this person along with people such as Dr. Ian Dunbar Jean Donaldson and a growing number of professionals are telling us where we have gone wrong in the way we think about dogs. It is a partial free download of what will be a soon to be released book. in the spring of 2008. It is a lengthy read, but could be one of the most important things you ever did for your dog. It is one of the best articles (future books) I have read on this new attitude about dogs. Google nonlinear dogs

#2 ·
There are so many thoughts- I am not sure if there is one for everyone and one for every dog. I just think of how different my girls are from each other, from the herding dogs they were playing with today, etc.

I was speaking to someone today who loves Jan Fennell. I might try to check out one of her books the next time I am the library as well.

http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/about.htm

#3 ·
I'm a Cesar Milan fan myself and believe in his techniques.To each his own you know...it's like raising kids I guess. Some believe in time out and some believe in spanking and everything in between. I think you need to be open and do what works for you.:peace:

#4 ·
I agree with Amanda, I don't think every training method works on everydog. I have had about 12 dogs over the last 30 years before Sam & Delilah and the training methods have changed greatly from my first dog until now and yes we probably still have lots to learn. I do prefer positive methods of training.

#6 ·
I do prefer positive methods of training.
Me too, especially in this breed. I prefer positive reinforcement or distractions from bad behavior. I try to limit corrections to specific training sessions and keep it at using the word "wrong" and then going on to give a lot of praise when they get it correct. In day to day life, I prefer distractions or "uh uh uh" and then praise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.