Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums (https://www.havaneseforum.com/forum.php)
-   Puppy Area (https://www.havaneseforum.com/8-puppy-area/)
-   -   teaching come (https://www.havaneseforum.com/8-puppy-area/133542-teaching-come.html)

Jennifer C 11-08-2018 06:36 PM

teaching come

I've heard that puppies typically want to be where you are. Is that always true? Our new pup comes when called maybe 5% of the time. He does like to play fetch and tug with us, but he wags his tail only when we come home. If i call him, he just stares at me. We're trying to use a leash a lot, otherwise he will run when we go to pick him up sometimes. Is all that normal 3 month old puppy behaviors?

Sam I Am 11-09-2018 09:00 AM

Hi Jennifer, ours is 21 weeks & at 3 months she was far busier trying to know everything about her surroundings than being too worried about us. Now she is wanting to give loving & get loving, & lots of kisses, although still busy. The thing about these guys over other pups we have had is the happiness factor, always happy, with that happy little bouncing gait (when they are not zooming!) We have her x pen in the living room where she stays at night, & when we are gone, or she needs to chill. I was just about ready to bring her in the bedroom at night, as her housebreaking & run of the house was going really well, when she took a dump under the desk in the den. She had gone there once before, her only other dump mistake, so for now, keeping the x pen going. She sleeps by my feet in the living room, preferring that to the couch because she feels more captive on the couch I think. Got her a soft, furry bed at TJ Maxx yesterday, which she is now using on the floor after first thinking it was a giant toy. Things keep getting better, so hang in there.

Jennifer C 11-09-2018 09:12 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! This is my first puppy, so it's hard to know what to expect. I've only had older dogs.

Sam I Am 11-09-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer C (Post 1421762)
Thanks for the encouragement! This is my first puppy, so it's hard to know what to expect. I've only had older dogs.

Well, you jumped in with both feet on this puppy then!! Heh. I have always raised from a puppy, & this one was more challenging than the other bigger breeds. Maybe I think that because my last puppy was 10 years ago, could be, eh? Anyway, she’s worth it, wouldn’t change a thing. This is my first small dog, & I really enjoy being able to pick her up, plus I don’t worry about her being aggressive with people, kids, or other animals. I always had that concern in the past.

davetgabby 11-09-2018 12:17 PM

he doesn't understand the word "come" here's a good article https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...l_20603-1.html

Jennifer C 11-09-2018 04:47 PM

Good article. I'll read it over again and try putting it into practice. By what age should pups be coming consistently when called? I'm wondering if I'm trying to train him too young to do too many things.

krandall 11-09-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer C (Post 1421776)
Good article. I'll read it over again and try putting it into practice. By what age should pups be coming consistently when called? I'm wondering if I'm trying to train him too young to do too many things.

Many good breeders start some training with puppies before they even go home to their new owners. So it is NOT too early to be training. All of mine were in regular training by 8-9 weeks.

As far as a CONFIRMED recall is concerned, ESPECIALLY in a situation where you are calling them away from something interesting, it will be AT LEAST a year of DAILY errorless practice before you have a reliable recall. For some, even with regular, consistent practice, it's longer than that. For some BREEDS (mostly hounds, because they are BRED to follow their eyes or nose) some of them NEVER have a reliable recall in the open. And even with the ones that do, it's a skill that you have to keep brushing up on for a life time.

GlenK 11-10-2018 06:52 AM

I found a trainer I really like: Zak George. His enthusiasm is really good. Can't get the video to show up but search him in YouTube.

krandall 11-10-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 1421786)
I found a trainer I really like: Zak George. His enthusiasm is really good. Can't get the video to show up but search him in YouTube.

He’s pretty good, and certainly positive. I like Kikopup even better. She is an excellent trainer (better than Zak George, IMO) and her videos are extremely clear and methodical.

GlenK 11-10-2018 11:11 AM

I've seen hers videos too but I just like Zac better.