Havanese Forum banner

Dog Whistle - A Magical Caller

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mikki 
#1 ·
I have a cheap aluminum Whistle that I got for Emergencies when walking or hiking. Last week, Patti was in the backyard where I couldn't see her, I called: Patti Come and got no response. I picked up my Whistle, gave it a couple of quick short blows (it's loud and high pitched) and Patti came running like a Bat out of Hell. AMAZING!!!! the quick response. Of course, I had a treat ready.

Since then every single time I've Blown that Whistle she comes Running!! Patti occasionally escapes out the front door or fenced area and I'm hoping she'll return quicker with this Whistle, without me chasing or persuading her to return. It's especially hard when something has gotten her interest such as the UPS man whom she wants to chase. She once flew out the door and chased the FedEx TRUCK!!!! Good Grief....

I'm currently teaching her she gets a treat when she Comes to the Whistle and in a few weeks will turn her loose outside of the fenced area to see if works.

Does anyone know about Dog Whistles? I want to buy more so I can place them around the house but when I researched them on Amazon, Ultra-Sonic Whistles for Dogs pops up. I don't know why Patti responds so quickly to a Whistle. Is it particular sound? Hummmmmmmmmmm :|

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Reactions: krandall and Mikki
#3 ·
yeah everyone should have one , and I'm finding now since Molly is going deaf , even more important. I use it with above average reward purposes, and ALWAYS reward /reinforce. :thumb:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/201511/are-silent-dog-whistles-useful

amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/Adjustable-Ul...ds=silent+dog+whistles&qid=1577912447&sr=8-51
WOW!! I'm really Surprised and Impressed at how responsive Patti is to a Whistle. Thanks! for the Psy Today link. I'm going to try the Ultra-Sonic Sound Whistles and see how they work. Will be better to have a Whistle that human's can't hear and works for the dog.

My husband and daughter were Shocked when I said, Watch This. I blew the Whistle and Patti came RUNNING!!!

#6 ·
I got a Silent Dog Whistle that Dave recommended and Patti hears it and comes to that sound, too but not as quick as she does to the Loud Whistle. I think, if I worked with using the Silent Whistle she might come as quickly. She got out the front door again a few days ago, when my daughter was distracted and took off. Daughter found the Silent Whistle, and using the Whistle along with saying Treat!, Patti came back inside.

#8 ·
:grin2: That would be Hysterical and could happen in Crested Butte, Co because there is NO fencing. I'll try it out and then I can call Animal Control and have all those wondering dogs picked up. :wink2:

#10 · (Edited)
I now have Dog Whistles (or non-silent Emergency Whistlers) all over the house, in my purse and all vehicles. Patti enthusiastically comes to the Whistle Call. She even comes to the Silent-Whistle which I might switch over to if I get more confident with that Whistle, I can barely hear.

Initially, I think Patti came running to the Whistle out of curiosity but as always when I call her, I have a Treat waiting. She's a very quick learner. The Whistle works so much better than Yelling ... Come Patti!

I'm particularly interested in being about to get her attention in Emergency situations such as when she accidentally gets away from me and makes a run for it. Hoping the Whistle is distracting enough I can get her attention to stop her from exploring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.