Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums (https://www.havaneseforum.com/forum.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.havaneseforum.com/6-general-discussion/)
-   -   Concerns about the Vet and Neutering and Flouride (https://www.havaneseforum.com/6-general-discussion/9660-concerns-about-vet-neutering-flouride.html)

AmeliasBabaloo 08-13-2009 10:54 AM

Concerns about the Vet and Neutering and Flouride

Hi,

I have some issues and I think that this has me postponning Babaloo's Neutering. I know that he's 7 months and he has to have it done soon. This is not my concern. The Vet wants to flouride his teeth at the same time. I guess because he will be already out to have his surgery and it will be a good time. The Vet is also trying to get me to have him vaccinated for gum disease not necessarily at this time. I believe that this is still experiental.

I guess my concern is that in reading through the posts on this board I have never found anyone who has ever had his/hers "pups" teeth Flourided. Is this Vet trying to make some more "dinero" since times are tough? I don't want to expose my Babaloo to anything that is unneccesary or experimental.

I have learned that Pearly Whites and gauze to wipe off the back teeth does help get remove the tartar and Plaque. This I learned from this wonderfully informative board. I will start this regimine immediately. I have given him greenies on an occasion.

Do you recommend overnight stay after the Neutering? I just don't remeber what we did in the past with our other dogs.

So please give me some input into this

Thanks,
Vicki

Lina 08-13-2009 11:35 AM

Fluoride treatment for dogs is perfectly healthy and in fact great for your dog's teeth! However, any good vet will know that the fluoride should not be allowed to be swallowed as fluoride can be harmful to your pet's stomach (due to pH value) and/or *may* be toxic - this is still unproven, but thought to be true by some. In the fluoride treatment, however, they use a gel that is wiped off after 4-6 minutes, making sure not to allow any to go down the dog's throat, which is why it needs to be done under anesthesia. It's not a necessary thing to do by any means, but I wouldn't say your vet is recommending it just to make a buck.

Hitchcock did undergo fluoride treatment when he went under for his neuter.

Also, I do want to add that it'd be best if you do not give Babaloo Greenies. They have been known to cause blockage and are just not that great for dogs. A good flossie (Merrick brand only) or bully stick (an odor-free like from the Moo brand is best) will be much much better for him and won't be harsh on his tummy!

Oh and there's no reason for him to be kept overnight unless there's a problem with the surgery. Both of mine came home the same day.

Good luck!

AmeliasBabaloo 08-13-2009 01:25 PM

Lina,

Thanks so much for your input. I will throw the bag of Greenies out and try what you have suggested. As for the actual treatment, it's still under consideration. I will discuss with him about his spending the night at the pet hospital.

Vicki

HavaBaloo 08-13-2009 01:31 PM

I agree with Lina, try to see if you vet can neuter babaloo first thing in the morning, he can stay for the day for observations, then come home after supper or something.

I don't know about the flouride, I am trying to keep my rearing as "natural" as I can and feeding raw my vet didn't recommend it, although she didn't say anything bad about it either.

Good luck, all you can do is your research and then choose what is best for you and your situation.

AmeliasBabaloo 08-18-2009 01:13 PM

Thanks for your input. BAbaloom is schedule to have the neitering the Wednesday after Labor Day. He will also be hving his teeth Flourided but he will be coming home in the later part of the day.

I am calming down a bit.

Vicki

cjsud 08-18-2009 02:13 PM

If you use tap water see if it's fluorinated. If it is your pup is probably getting enough.

AmeliasBabaloo 08-18-2009 02:30 PM

He usually gets bottled water. I think that I read somewhere to give them that.

HavaneseSoon 08-18-2009 03:09 PM

The pups are fine after surgery in the late afternoon. In fact, when I went to take Dexter out of the Tech's arm, Dexter was too excited for me, I had to put him down or he would fall out of my arms from the excitement.

I gave Dexter a tiny bit to eat (spoonful) when we got home; waited one hour and gave him more. Dexter slept a lot that evening.

Dogs being neutered do not need the stay the night.

Tom King 08-18-2009 06:24 PM

I don't see the need for anything on 7 month old teeth. At that age the adult teeth haven't even been in very long and typically they stay looking great for a couple of years without even very much brushing. I don't think Pam has ever scraped any teeth maybe before even 3 years.