Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: Then I had to help my folks move to Virginia... Fezzik's hair was unattended for 6 days. My oldest was so upset. He tried so hard to groom the beast but he couldn't keep up.

I am going to have to shave him. Huge! Huge mats!!! Hopefully I will have time before class tomorrow to do it.

Metrowest, MA
Awww, well, hair grows!

Marion
When Finley was spayed, she ripped her inside stitches and needed to go back to the vet to have them re-done, so she had to wear her cone longer. On top of that, her incision area made me really nervous, so I didn't comb her - I didn't want to make her more miserable, and I was afraid she'd wriggle too much and mess up the stitches again. Once she was better, I realized she had mats everywhere. I did my best to tackle them, but there were just too many big ones close to her skin, and she needed to be shaved.

When they handed her to me at the groomer's, I was one hundred percent sure they were giving me the wrong dog! This was last week, and the fur is starting to grow back. It'll be a while before she looks like herself again, but at least we're seeing progress!

My point is, I feel your pain! Thanks for sharing though - makes me feel a little better! Good luck!

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is worse.. I have started hacking away. He is going to go to class tomorrow very lopsized. I know I am not going to have enough time before...

Metrowest, MA
That's OK, Fezzik and Ducky'sire was sent to the groomer with a few mats on his tummy, but the message somehow got garbled. His owner had said it was OK to shave is BELLY if NECESSARY. Somehow, that got translated into "shave the dog". Wh really was NOT matted OTHER than his belly! Poor He.be... His new nick name has become Archi(bald). :ROFLMAO: And he was SUPPOSED to be going into the show ring a couple of weeks later!

Registered
It grows fast... and isn't too bad is you're already used to a puppy cut. Perry's surgery areas were shaved and within about 2 weeks were close to a very short ( smallest guide length) puppy cut and could be blended together so you hardly noticed.

I can imagine it's traumatic when you don't want it or aren't expecting it though.

Premium Member
When Sundance was first cut short it was because I forgot to take the comb when we went camping as he was beginning to blow coat. I did take a brush, but he got s鈥檓ore stuck on him and in just a couple of days it grew into an enormous mat. But I did try to working it out a little when we got home, and got the sticky out, so I thought they鈥檇 be able to cut it out, since he wasn鈥檛 matted all over. He did have a few other small ones from the trip but they were the small, loose kind that come right out. He was cut into quite a dramatic short haircut. It grew really fast though! Sometime I think it would have been easier to cut him short a month or two earlier when I first started to notice he was blowing coat, to avoid the emotional trauma :) My own, not his, haha.

Owned by a Havallon
At least dogs aren't cursed with the vanity humans are. The tears I've cried over the years on my own bad haircuts!
This is exactly why I cut my own hair! I left the salon way too often wanting to put a bag over my head!

As far as dogs, I really don鈥檛 think they care, however I think the problem is WE care! I did a couple bull鈥檚 eye butt jobs on Mia when I first started grooming her鈥nd I made sure that we were in the very back for neighborhood pack walks!

Metrowest, MA
We've been so busy with my Mother, that we got behind on Red too. Pam cut him all the way down, and he thinks it's the greatest thing in the World. He has little puppy energy now, and is as playful.
It's amazing how many coats Pam can USUALLY keep up with!

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well... we are halfway there. I scissor-cut him down past the mats. Tomorrow I will wash and blow him out before trying to smooth out the unevenness. It isn't that bad. At least he doesn't cry anymore.

Registered
When shaving them I put some large thick plastic so I would just fold it and throw! no need for me to vacuum the floor!

Metrowest, MA
When shaving them I put some large thick plastic so I would just fold it and throw! no need for me to vacuum the floor!
That might might save vacuuming, but it's a lot of plastic to go into a landfill! Also make sure not to have the dog standing on slippery plastic. The dog should stand on a non-slippery surface!

Reactions: MMoore

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could figure out how to get a smooth coat. And LEGS! I can never do legs. Well, he is done. no mats. very uneven where the mats were. I think I will make a grooming appt in a few weeks. By then, he will have grown out enough so that the groomer can smooth everything.

Metrowest, MA
He looks cute! I've seen MUCH worse jobs done by groomers! 馃挆

And I agree... Legs are HARD!!!

Premium Member
Our first Havanese Sparky was shaved several times due to matting. Within a few weeks he would have that puppy look again. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts