Havanese Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
well... we are halfway there. I scissor-cut him down past the mats. Tomorrow I will wash and blow him out before trying to smooth out the unevenness. It isn't that bad. At least he doesn't cry anymore.
Was he crying while being groomed? Poor thing. Every once in a while, when I'm combing Shama, I am not careful, and she cries out. I feel so terrible!

I'm sorry you have to have Fezzik shaved. Hopefully it will be easier to keep up with now.

EDIT: I skimmed this thread and missed the photo. He looks GREAT! I was imagining those shaved dogs who have a quarter inch of hair on top of pink skin showing through!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋

Registered
I wish I could figure out how to get a smooth coat. And LEGS! I can never do legs. Well, he is done. no mats. very uneven where the mats were. I think I will make a grooming appt in a few weeks. By then, he will have grown out enough so that the groomer can smooth everything.
View attachment 175584
I think you鈥檝e done a great job馃槉 Fezzik looks super cute馃槏

Registered
That might might save vacuuming, but it's a lot of plastic to go into a landfill! Also make sure not to have the dog standing on slippery plastic. The dog should stand on a non-slippery surface!
I have one sheet for grooming - so even though the hair still sticks in it after it's been washed, that's all it's for so I don't really care :) I put it under his grooming table (the round ones that you can turn) on the table. When we're done I scoop/ brush (his brush works well for picking up most of the hair off of the sheet) then shake it out outside, and fold it up (hair side in) until the next time I use it or until I throw it in the washer.

Registered
I wish I could figure out how to get a smooth coat. And LEGS! I can never do legs. Well, he is done. no mats. very uneven where the mats were. I think I will make a grooming appt in a few weeks. By then, he will have grown out enough so that the groomer can smooth everything.
View attachment 175584
When I groom Perry myself (mostly when we're outside the US) - I take him to the groomer twice a year to even everything out :)

Metrowest, MA
I have one sheet for grooming - so even though the hair still sticks in it after it's been washed, that's all it's for so I don't really care :) I put it under his grooming table (the round ones that you can turn) on the table. When we're done I scoop/ brush (his brush works well for picking up most of the hair off of the sheet) then shake it out outside, and fold it up (hair side in) until the next time I use it or until I throw it in the washer.
And the birds probably love you to pieces!!! LOL! One time I found a BEAUTIFUL nest blown down in the fall made all of horse tail hair from our red roan appaloosa's tail! It was so lovely we kept it!!!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

Registered
And the birds probably love you to pieces!!! LOL! One time I found a BEAUTIFUL nest blown down in the fall made all of horse tail hair from our red roan appaloosa's tail! It was so lovely we kept it!!!
It also has the added advantage of repelling snakes (or so I've read) - so I always put it around the edge of the yard in Kampala.

Metrowest, MA
It also has the added advantage of repelling snakes (or so I've read) - so I always put it around the edge of the yard in Kampala.
Huh! I wonder why!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good grief! I found a huge mat in his EAR. Poor little guy. I wonder if I should remove the hair in his ears. I have never done it with any of my other dogs but I have never found a mat inside their ears.

Metrowest, MA
Good grief! I found a huge mat in his EAR. Poor little guy. I wonder if I should remove the hair in his ears. I have never done it with any of my other dogs but I have never found a mat inside their ears.
Let Diane help you decide...

Premium Member
We put Shama's hair out in a ladybug shaped bird feeder (for a block of suet, I think), and it's really cute to watch the little birds pecking at it to pull out her hair for their nests.

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋

Registered
This happened to me a a while ago. I thought that what I was feeling was ear cartilage but then realized it was a mat! I was horrified (and it was difficult to figure out what was ear and what was mat!)

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This happened to me a a while ago. I thought that what I was feeling was ear cartilage but then realized it was a mat! I was horrified (and it was difficult to figure out what was ear and what was mat!)
I know!! I was so worried that I would knick the squirmy little beast as I snipped it out.

Metrowest, MA
Oh, he looks adorable!!! 馃挆

Reactions: morriscsps
21 - 35 of 35 Posts