Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're going to get our 1st puppy from a great home breeder. We have a choice of 10 week old puppies: white male that is very friendly or sable colored female that is smaller and somewhat reserved. The male vs female right now, is alot bigger in size. We didn't want a big dog; the female is what we wanted in size/color but the male came to us and played w/ my girls but the female took a little while and was a little squirmy when held.

We didn't want a white bigger dog as i read that they can get quite big. By choosing the female because of color/size, an error? Do you think we'll be ok w/ her? i wonder if it's a female dog or just her personality?

Most of the havanese breeders said that you can pick one and their temperment conforms to your family personality. is that true? help!

·
Renee
1,217 Posts
Pick by personality over looks. I'd opt for the white male that came to you as it seems more outgoing. How old are your girls?

We didn't want a white bigger dog as i read that they can get quite big.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Where did you read that or did the breeder tell you that? Color doesn't indicate how big he'll be. Genetics will. Did you see the parents?
Most of the havanese breeders said that you can pick one and their temperment conforms to your family personality. is that true? help!
I wouldn't agree with this statement as puppies are like people and have their own personality. Some are more outgoing and spunky while others are more laid back and mellow. Some are more lapdogs while others are aloof. Puppies should be placed by personality and environments not just based on looks.

·
Jenn
334 Posts
Yes, I agree. Please do pick personality over colors, in the long run you'll be glad you did. It is easy to get caught up in what color you want. Overall personality is the MOST important thing when choosing the right dog to fit your family. I have never heard of white males turning out to be big just because of their color. Size depends on their parents. What you describe in meeting with both the pups, it sounds like the male interacted better with your family and he might be the better choice, regardless of his size or color:) All Havs are beautiful no matter their size or color:)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
I would agree with everything that has been said so far... the sable female is likely to turn mostly white anyway. (Jasper was a white and sable puppy.)

And as far as size goes... there really is no telling. Both Jasper and Cash were about the same weights as puppies... Jasper slowly but surely added both weight, height and length even after a year (we think he was trying to keep up with Cash once he came) Cash doubled his size in the first month we had him and then again in the next two.

Having picked my first pup Jas, sight unseen, who I love dearly, but is not the most outgoing, easy going boy, I say go with the pup the pup that interacts with your family best.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,653 Posts
I agree COMPLETELY with what others have said... the right personality is SO important. Particularly if you have children, do you really want a stand-offish dog? Or worse, a timid dog?

As far as size is concerned, even the "giant economy sized" Havs rarely top 20 lbs. (or not by much) they can ALL still be easily picked up and put where you want them. They are all small dogs, even if they are big Havs. And, depending on the ages of your kids, a slightly bigger Hav could also be a little sturdier. (though it's still the responsibility of the adults to make sure the pup doesn't get hurt or dropped)

If you must have a dog that is smaller and not white, wait for another litter, and find one that has the physical attributes you want AND the right disposition for your family.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I agree with what others have said PERSONALITY PERSONALITY PERSONALITY (just in case there were any questions about it!) Also if it doesn't feel like one is the perfect fit, just wait. Hopefully this will be your family member for at least the next 10 years. Make sure your breeder fully health tests both parents as well.

Unfortunately dog personality doesn't conform to family personality cause I have 3 dogs with 3 totally different personalities. Let alone the rescues we have had. This would make adding a new dog a lot easier though! :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well I'll join the chorus here and say personality too - and I wouldn't have said that a year ago. We've had Kipling - our first dog ever - since last July - he is now one. We chose him based on the fact we wanted a male and we liked him best in the litter but we chose him way too young to see any personality traits yet (we were going to Europe and picked by looks only) - had there been a cute black and white one, or something else that caught our eye we'd have done that...I didn't particularly want an apricot/cream dog. Well anyone that has seen my posts knows we got very lucky in that his personality ended up working perfect for our family. He is outgoing, mischievous and very tolerant and loving with my kids who are 9 and 11. He sounds like the the male you describe. Friends of ours have a timid dog...one that runs from the kids. The kids are at the point where they no longer care where the dog is. Ours are in love with Kipling. They are so glad he's friendly like he is...

Sorry for the longwinded response - hope it helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I meant that the white male compared to the sable female as of right now is bigger in size. Are females in general more reserved than males or maybe shy since she was exploring outside of her exercise pen? My girls were set on the female and we bought everything pink already :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You can begin to guess at size if you look at the parents...in Kipling's case he was the biggest of the litter and that's what we were happy with given that he would be playing with kids etc. His father was larger but his mother was smaller. There were two girls in his litter - the tiniest dog was one of the girls and she's stayed smaller (10 lbs or so) and the other one was the second largest in the litter. She was outgoing from the start and maybe even more so than Kipling. I do not get the impression personality is determined by gender...

It's tough if the kids have their heart set on a female...

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,379 Posts
I agree with everyone, you should pick personality over color and size. But, a heart wants what a heart wants. ;) What does your breeder say about the pups' personalities. She spends a lot of time with them and should have a really good idea what they are really like. As far as color, the Sable girl will probably loose most of that sable coloring anyway. I hope your breeder told you that. Do you have any pictures of the puppies to share?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the breeder told me the she would recommend the male..she also said that i can go back to revisit and change if i want. She also told me the female would turn white also. i dont mind the white..it was the fact that my husband didn't want a bigger dog; being our 1st dog.... The girl was more independent..she did come to us; after the male came to us first though. more of a follower, i guess....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW: the dad is 13 pds and mom is 10 pds so maybe the male won't be that big? he's just big in comparison to the female. My girls already printed out her name tag....so it'd be tough to change. do you think another visit may help? Also, at 10 weeks, both have started tear staining..the female more than the male. is that indicative of anything?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Kipling is just over 13 lbs..he does not seem big to us.

He also had tear staining on pick up. When we got him home he started on different food and the tear staining seemed to vanish. We don't have the issue anymore....this is Kipling as a puppy and today

I tried to show a couple where you can see his tear staining and also that his colouring was deeper and more pronounced and then two where you can see how much he has whitened

Kipling 007.jpg Kipling 002.jpg

And now our big boy

Tom Scan 020.jpg Tom Scan 066.jpg

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
It sounds as if you've already made up your mind so I'm a little confused by the question. Everyone here, including me, would recommend the one who, personality wise would fit best into your family. As for size, IMO none of them are "big." It seems to me you're wanting someone to tell you the female would be a better choice, but your description of them and your experience would suggest otherwise. That having been said, ultimately you'll pick whichever dog speaks to you and I wish you luck with it.

One final thought, some say in this breed the boys are usually more "in love" with their owners, while the girls can be more dominant.

·
Judy
30 Posts
Ari (peaches and cream) was the only one left of the litter but his already sold darker sister was still there. He came to us immediately and cuddled with each family member. The next day we discovered that he was afraid of everything outside of our house and family. He cried when other people came to the house. He was afraid of walks until about 6 months. He's now just a little afraid of other dogs but his curiousity outweighs it. He is the bossiest little hyper guy at home with us. He's wonderful out with other people finally.

He weighs 15 lbs at 8 months and eats like a bird so he's slender and his male friend (black) from same breeder but different parents weighs 13lbs at 9 months. His all-white girlfriend from a backyard breeder weighs 5 lbs if you're lucky. She's tiny. Ari is way more sturdy and is the better dog for our rough and tumble boys and small house. He is not too big to pick up and move and is very portable in a small car.

What I'm trying to say is that personality on pick up was not what we got in the end. His sweet huggy nature only comes out occasionally when he's sleepy. His size is perfect with kids/teens. He is my first male and I'm happy with the choice there although he does kill our lawn just like a girl because he squats rather than lifting his leg.

I hope you make the right choice for your family based on instinct. Quite frankly I chose Ari because he was born 09/09/09 and was cute and the right age.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Feisty! being our 1st dog, i'm not sure how to pick from the litter. i've read dog whisperer too :) That's good to know. The girls picked the girl because she wasn't as curious as the boy (he was digging at sthg and jumped on the girls). my girls are on the quieter side so they picked the girl because she was reserved.

We can still switch; hence the questions as he's not sold yet either. Just wasn't sure if we shld pick cuz he's friendler or a female that's more reserved...

Thx!

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,379 Posts
It sounds to me that your little girls have made up their mind and so has your husband. the famous: "the girls will love you and the boys will be in-love with you" seems to circulate among most breeders of many, many different breeds of dogs. Such as: maltese, yorkies, havaines, poodles (all three varieties). I believe it depends on the dog, period.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
It sounds to me that your little girls have made up their mind and so has your husband. the famous: "the girls will love you and the boys will be in-love with you" seems to circulate among most breeders of many, many different breeds of dogs. Such as: maltese, yorkies, havaines, poodles (all three varieties). I believe it depends on the dog, period.
:tea:

I was sure I was going to get a little black and white girl!!!
:hug:I LOVE my 2 boys!!:hug:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'd pick personality over looks. You might ask the breeder if this litter is a "repeat breeding" because she might know how large previous litters turned out. Beau and Daisy have the same parents - but Beau is a year younger. Daisy weighs 10 lb 8 oz and Beau is just over 13 lbs. One of Daisy's sisters is just under 8 lbs, though she weighed the same as Daisy at 12 weeks.....

1 - 20 of 64 Posts