Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Jen, Timmy and Mae
1,672 Posts
Sorry Ricky I could only bring one since I'm flying and the thought of me not home and one not having the other makes me even sadder the being alone. Guess I'll have to find you and get my puppy fix! I'll be looking out for Kodi and Pixel too plus I know one more HRI pup coming that I'm going to hopefully be able to get my hands on!

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's too bad! I loved it when it was in NC. We were about 4 hours away. Chicago is around a 14 hour drive.
Yes, it's about a day and a half dive for us… but so is NC. ;)

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's about a four day "dive" for us. Popi says we gonna attach Ricky to one of those new Amazon delivery drones and just parachute him in. I dunno if I like that idea! :suspicious:

besos, Ricky Ricardo
Yeah, I don't think Kodi or Pixel want to do that kind of "diving" either, so I guess we'll DRIVE them! :pound:

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We had a great time. Kodi didn't Q in Pre-Open, but he had a nice run with one little bobble that NQ'd us. Pixel had two "ring experiences", first in the handling seminar, where we both learned a lot, and she was a champ. Her 4-6 month puppy class was pretty large, with 14 little girls, and she was a bit overwhelmed. She didn't do anything BAD, but didn't look like her normal, confident, prancy little self. She didn't place (not that that means anything in the 4-6 class anyway! ;)) but I thought we both learned from our first experience in the ring.

There were lots of beautiful dogs, lots of nice people and PLENTY of "dog talk". The judging seemed to be quite consistent, and my "eye" must be getting better, because I did a much better job picking the "top dogs" in classes than I did two years ago.

There was, however, one very sad note that marred the week. One dog was being walked by someone other than his owner, slipped his leash and ran back from the potty area toward the hotel door. There is a fairly busy drive between the grass and the hotel entrance and he was hit by a pick-up truck and killed. Before the accident, I think some people thought I was a little silly for putting harnesses on mine every time I took them out. Afterwards, no one said a word about my extra precautions. What a horrible way to lose a beloved pet!

I did take photos, but I honestly haven't even had time to THINK about them yet. It's a two LONG day drive in each direction, and yesterday I was cooked. Today, I'm trying to dig out, get some work done, and, if I have time, wash dogs. At very least, they both need a good grooming. Neither has been touched by a comb since the day before we left the hotel!

· Banned
3,972 Posts
Si Tia Karen, fotos :photo: when you have time. I know that mi amigos Kodi and Pixie Pixel on their worst day are better than mi on mi best day! Good job doggies! :thumb: Was there any representation from the West Coast? Was there any other representation (with doggies) from HF?

It is heartbreaking about that little doggie crossing over the bridge. I don even want to tink about it. I'm going to pay more attention to Popi when he gives mi the "wait" command.

besos Ricky Ricardo

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did a black & white Havanese win Best of Breed? Last year in Portland, OR the top four dogs were B&W.
Yes, Papi Chulo won for the second year in a row. BOS was a lovely sable girl. There MIGHT have been one other sable in the top 7, but most were B&W... OTOH, it's mostly B&W that are shown. I think there were only two chocolates at the show, with a handful of sables a few reds and a few solid black.

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Si Tia Karen, fotos :photo: when you have time. I know that mi amigos Kodi and Pixie Pixel on their worst day are better than mi on mi best day! Good job doggies! :thumb: Was there any representation from the West Coast? Was there any other representation (with doggies) from HF?

It is heartbreaking about that little doggie crossing over the bridge. I don even want to tink about it. I'm going to pay more attention to Popi when he gives mi the "wait" command.

besos Ricky Ricardo
There are few photos of my guys, because I was the one behind the camera... just some funny iPhone pictures coming and going. There was someone "official" taking photos, so I hope that they tell us where to find his pictures. I know he took photos of both Kodi and Pixel.

Yes, there were west coats dogs there... Kathy Patrick's Max was in the line-up of top dogs for Best in Show, though I don't remember his exact place. Another Bellatak dog ran in agility and did very well. I don't know lots of the dogs...

The people I hoped to see from the forum weren't there, :( Kodi and I looked for all your faces!!! :)

· Registered
544 Posts
Get some rest! Glad you had a good time. I've been to and in many shows, but never a national! One day.........

So, sad about the accident. No, you can never be too cautious IMO. Although, I'm VERY familiar with the looks you get with a long coated breed and harnesses! :D It's ALL about protecting the coat. At least you had yours safely contained.

Looking forward to pics when you get to it. Welcome back!

· Evelyn
4,651 Posts
I am so bummed that I missed you Karen. John and I were there on Thursday morning and watched several showings in the ring in different age categories and I wanted to take them all home! Just beautiful dogs! I was looking around for you,but I didn't see you :( Was looking forward to meeting Pixel and of course seeing Kody again. If it comes back to the Westin I will make sure I know when you will be in the ring with Kody and Pixel ( days and times)and I will plan on being there for sure. I just think I was there on the wrong day. I did not go to the banquet..next time I will sign up for it. I did buy some raffle tickets for the quilts but I'm sure if I had won I would have known it by now.
I didn't see the Chris Christenson booth this year. I was planning on picking up a few things while I was there but maybe they had already left?? I did buy a purse and a necklace and a toy for Whimsy that she doesn't play with. She has two special toys she plays with and that's it. I should know better than to buy her new ones.
How sad about that dog getting killed. Made my stomach turn over just thinking about that! I can't think of anything worse.

· Tucker 2007-2020
6,412 Posts
Heartbreaking about the dog slipping his collar... :-(

I am glad to hear it was a good experience for Pixel, and I am sure that Kodi did his stuff at showing how a beautiful, well-trained Havanese looks.

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Get some rest! Glad you had a good time. I've been to and in many shows, but never a national! One day.........

So, sad about the accident. No, you can never be too cautious IMO. Although, I'm VERY familiar with the looks you get with a long coated breed and harnesses! :D It's ALL about protecting the coat. At least you had yours safely contained.

Looking forward to pics when you get to it. Welcome back!
They don't wear harnesses all the time... only when they are outside on lead. But I'm more concerned about protecting their throats and their lives than their coats! If that's what keeps me from winning in conformation, so be it... I won't lose any sleep over it. ;) But honestly, I think Kodi has a beautiful coat, and he's 6 years old and has ALWAYS worn a harness on walks and in the car.

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
PS I'm sure Pixel did great. Dog shows are a sensory overload!
Thanks! She did fine... Im not disappointed. We both still have a lot to learn! :) I was talking to a friend who is a professional handler but was there with HER 6-9 puppy. I said that I think it would be really good for Pixel to go in the ring with HER a few times so she gets used to the ring with someone who knows what she's doing! :)

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I am so bummed that I missed you Karen. John and I were there on Thursday morning and watched several showings in the ring in different age categories and I wanted to take them all home! Just beautiful dogs! I was looking around for you,but I didn't see you :( Was looking forward to meeting Pixel and of course seeing Kody again. If it comes back to the Westin I will make sure I know when you will be in the ring with Kody and Pixel ( days and times)and I will plan on being there for sure. I just think I was there on the wrong day. I did not go to the banquet..next time I will sign up for it. I did buy some raffle tickets for the quilts but I'm sure if I had won I would have known it by now.
I didn't see the Chris Christenson booth this year. I was planning on picking up a few things while I was there but maybe they had already left?? I did buy a purse and a necklace and a toy for Whimsy that she doesn't play with. She has two special toys she plays with and that's it. I should know better than to buy her new ones.
How sad about that dog getting killed. Made my stomach turn over just thinking about that! I can't think of anything worse.
Next time we should trade cell numbers! I was upstairs with my friend Elinor on Thursday morning, helping her get her boy, Tony ready for BOB right after the lunch break. I showed Kodi on Wed. and Pixel on Friday.

Chris Christensen wasn't there this year. I was sorry about that too, because I would have bought another set of shears from them. I did buy a bag from the lady with the beautiful quilted bags with the Havanese on them... not EXACTLY like Kodi, but close. I also bought them each new crate pads and another round bed from Le Purple Puppy. I love her stuff!!! Oh, and a pretty glittery leash and collar for my little girl to grow into. ;)

· Jen, Timmy and Mae
1,672 Posts
I'm sorry I bailed Karen. I had my room and everything but got cold feet thinking about leaving Mae at home with my family and her restricted activity. I heard the next Specialty might be in Florida, that would be fun! I really wanted to meet Pixel and see some Rally :( I heard that quilt sales for HRI were great and the banquet as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next one.

· Premium Member
5,259 Posts
I was so looking forward to going to the specialty this year and meeting everyone here on HF and specially Kodi and little Pixel! Unfortunately I had to work again. Maybe next year…I was able to watch the streaming video on Thursday. I purchased the day through ShowDogVideosPros. Very sad to hear about the heartbreaking accident. Will the specialty be on the West coast next year?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.