Havanese Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Havanese National Specialty will be held May 17 -21 in Louisville KY this year. ANYONE PLANNING TO ATTEND?

I am disappointed because the three of us were planning on attending wherever it might be in the US this year. I thought it would be held in the Fall as usual and the pandemic would be essentially behind us. We just don't feel safe travelling in the next two weeks since I am still high risk for the variants and we stay at home right now for the time being. Oh well there will always be 2022....I hope. Anyone know where and when National Specialty will be held next year?

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

We will not be attending this year as it is during the school year. Shama got to go and compete in agility in Chicago in 2018 (she was a rock star and got several big ribbons!) and got an extended visit with grandma and grandpa for the 2019 in Las Vegas while we attended. Shama is not a flyer.

If I recall correctly, don't they announce the next year's dates and location at the board/membership meeting immediately following the end of the events?

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh can I ask a perhaps stupid question; is it televised or streamed at all? X
Unfortunately, no. However, sometimes an attendee will make a short video about a specific event and post it on YouTube.

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(she was a rock star and got several big ribbons!)
Without a doubt, all SHAMA has to do is just stand there and she would be a rock star and earn several blue ribbons! I think HF has an outstanding collection of Havanese, among the best in their breed! I am encouraged and impressed how all the HF members, from novices to the experienced, want to learn more how to take the best care of their prize winners!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
The next national is planned to be at the same hotel as I understand it. I suspect they had some sort of deal IN CASE they needed to cancel this year too. We will, of course, be missing this year again because... puppies! LOL! But we will be rooting for everyone from afar! It’s great fun if you ever have a chance to go, even as a spectator!

·
Sophie
991 Posts
No National for us. I had every intention of going, had the time off approved at work... Then it was made known that they would be holding the agility trial on ballroom carpet yet again. Completely unsafe and not at all okay. We would have entered rally and conformation as well, but agility is the main reason we go. I'm completely bummed, but hoping for a change for 2022 (though I'm not exactly optimistic about it).

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then it was made known that they would be holding the agility trial on ballroom carpet yet again. Completely unsafe and not at all okay.
Out of curiosity, what is the desired surface for agility?

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the desired surface for agility?
Outdoors, (usually on grass) indoors on astroturf or rubber mats or dirt. (THAT wouldn’t happen at a specialty!🤪). The footing must be non-slippery and not be too hard to land on. And in the case of carpet, not have anything that can catch a claw and cause a dog to wrench a leg while running fast.

I am with Sophie, I have sat out agility at National specialties in the past because it was held on ball room carpet. It’s hard enough to do obedience and rally in these venues, but it’s just totally unsafe for fast dogs (and Sophie’s Nino is one of the fastest) to run on carpet.

I understand that it’s a tough call... the committee gets complaints no matter what. Outdoors and you have to deal with weather eith coated dogs. They did that in NC, snd many dogs who rarely run outdoors wouldn’t run at all. The committee got complaints about that. When they have held the agility off site, at a “real” agility venue, it’s hard to get everyone there (requiring shuttle buses and/or rental cars) snd there are NO spectators. The committee got complaints about that. So there are no easy answers, and I wouldn’t be going this year at all, nor running agility if I were. (Although... maybe I could get Sophie to run Panda for me... it’s ME that is broken! :unsure:) But I agree,I would never run MY dog, ESPECIALLY one as fast and special as Nino, on carpet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts