Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... is still a mutt! :D Nothing wrong with that at all, but when I hear about "designer" dogs, I cringe!

Here's a link to an article that will help in choosing the right breeder and type of dog you really want as a new member of the family. Maybe the perfect pet for you is at the local pound!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17616672/from/ET/

"When you want a dog that's one of a kind, there's no need to spend big bucks to get it. Visit your local shelter instead and come home with your very own roughcoated Malibu griffon, Golden Gate Chiwienie dog or North American mottled shepherd.

Whatever you choose, and whatever you call it, the dog will be just as unique and special as a pricier pup."

Reactions: gelbergirl

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I was in the local pet store a couple of weeks ago, and was completey floored by what was for sale.

Shih Tzu - "Purebred" $900.00.
"Shihpoo" - $1400.00 :eek:
Beagle - "Purebred" - $400.00
"Yorkiepoo" - $1400.00 :eek:

Ridiculous and sad in my opinion.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I totally agree with the article. If I want a "designer dog", I will get one from the pound!!! I just can't wrap my mind around paying $1,500.00 for a malti-poo or a golden doodle.....rediculous!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree. I have a friend who wants my pup to mate with her dog, who is a 'chorkie'. I guess that would be a chorkenese?? It makes me very uncomfortable, beside that it would break the contract. I just said that I couldn't because of the legal implications, but in reality, I don't want to dilute the breed. I bought a purebred, if I wanted to breed him, it would be with another purebred. If I wanted a mixed breed, I would adopt one, not mix one up in a 'doggie lab' for a designer breed:rolleyes:

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Joanne - if I am guessing correctly, a chorkie is a Chihuahua and Yorie mix. That sounds like one ugly puppy....sorry. Gland you aren't going to agree. :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Chorkenese" !! ROFL!! The names that come up are nuts.

Debbie, that is both sad and very frustrating. :( I just shake my head at the audacity of pet shops as well as backyard breeders that only do this for the money. There is no way anyone will convince me this is for the "betterment of _________ breed(s)" !

The thing is.... before I researched any one breed and before I got onto Havanese lists (and this would go for any breed online mailing lists/groups), I had no clue that designer dogs were such a bad idea!

I was naive about it all until I learned and that's what I hope this forum does....... teaches those looking for a dog to really think about it, to really do the homework and make sure they aren't encouraging the 'business' of getting sick dogs that end up in shelters because they can no longer afford to or want to care for them. And God forbid more people decide to BREED these "designer dogs" even more! Can you imagine one, two, five generations from now?? Heck, those pups could go for $5000 if the idiots had their way!!

GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr !

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Question: weren' all breeds designer dogs at some point- weren't they breed and cross breed to make new breeds to meet certain needs?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I really don't want to get started on this subject again. It makes me really mad. You can go to any animal shelter and get a designer dog, and they are called mutts. I guess a rose by any other name, etc., etc.

But, on the lighter side, I have a cousin who has a Malchi - Maltese/Chihuhua X. She is cute, black and white, looks like a maltese but very hyper. My daughter has two Dachshunds and they are not fixed because she wanted to breed them. Her male has taken a liking (a very strong liking) to my Shelby and we have been trying to come up with designer names for them - Havahunds, Dachsanese - just in case. :p Shelby will be spayed in a couple of weeks!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yaaaaayyyyy for Shelby!! ;) LOL

Oh my, a hyper Maltese, eh? :eek:

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
While I've been researching fior the last few months, I've seen something really interesting about dog pound mixes. Often, rescue groups get dogs from the pound and I've seen that when the rescues have a cute young puppy, even if it is a mix they ask a higher dollar amount for it! I've seen dogs for 400.00, even 600.00 from a rescue, being called a "guardian dog". The money received for a dog such as this goes to cover surgeries and care for the others. It seems that even the price of pound dogs is on the rise.
I agree that if you want a designer dog, please get one from a rescue. There are some wonderful dogs needing homes!

*The down side of mixing dogs is that you don't always get the best of both worlds. Sometimes you get the worst. There is no guarentee of a non-shedding dog just because it has been bred with a poodle or other non-shed breed. The only way to get a semi reliable mix of breeds is to breed a pure bred dog to another pure bred dog! Most back yard breeders aren't one hundred percent sure of the purity of the breeding stock they have! :eek:

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Most back yard breeders aren't one hundred percent sure of the purity of the breeding stock they have! "

*** Exactly, Christy!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Okay, a Havenese and a Poodle. A HavaPoo. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist... I know you'all were thinking it!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jolynn, don't laugh. The Havapoo does exist. They tried to sell me one at Shake-A-Paw pet shop. I was there because I fell in love with a little Shiba Inu that was there. I told the guy that he was crazy if he thought I would pay $2000 for a mutt and he said it was a "hybrid". That is when started researching more and more.
I didn't get the Shiba Inu either.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Don't forget the "Havashu' to go along with that "Havapoo":D

(Hav & shih tzu)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Well, along the lines of Havapoo, you know you can also get something else from the Havanese + Shih tzu..... :) Sorry, crude I know, but I could not resist :D

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, along the lines of Havapoo, you know you can also get something else from the Havanese + Shih tzu..... :) Sorry, crude I know, but I could not resist :D
Neither can I, Catherine, it's what I thought of as well!! Hava****z !

Why yes, sir, I need a hava****z - badly ! ROFL!!!! :D

o.k.......... we digress....... :cool:

HEY - it won't even LET me digress!! It just replace my letters with *** ! LOL

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
My husband actually thinks that Shih Tzu/Poodle mix is a must: Shi_poo!!!
They actually have those too.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Hee Hee Hee

You are all to funny! I burst out laughing drinking my tea - not pretty at all! :eek: My kids were looking at me like "Okay..... my mom has lost it....":rolleyes: That was just too funny :D ROFLMAO!!! :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts