Havanese Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mom to Toro
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm really not sure, since this is my first pup.
I have never needed to use flea protection for my cats in NYC, but they never went outside.

I lived in SF for several years and there it was different. Even my indoor cat was prone to getting fleas.

Are fleas common in NYC?

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,210 Posts
I use the monthly flea and tick stuff. My dogs really don't interact with other dogs much but we do go to a training place, the vets, outside, and other places where dogs go. We live in the Metrowest area near Boston.

You DO NOT want fleas in your house. A pain in the butt to get rid of. One of my dogs picked up fleas from somewhere (I suspect Petsmart) but I didn't notice until I saw them on my indoor cat! :eek: She has a white tummy making it easy to spot.

Major wigging out occurred. All bed linens boiled. Dogs boiled. Cats boiled. House boraxed to death. The steamer boiled any survivors.

I hate fleas.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,312 Posts
I use the monthly flea and tick stuff. My dogs really don't interact with other dogs much but we do go to a training place, the vets, outside, and other places where dogs go. We live in the Metrowest area near Boston.

You DO NOT want fleas in your house. A pain in the butt to get rid of. One of my dogs picked up fleas from somewhere (I suspect Petsmart) but I didn't notice until I saw them on my indoor cat! :eek: She has a white tummy making it easy to spot.

Major wigging out occurred. All bed linens boiled. Dogs boiled. Cats boiled. House boraxed to death. The steamer boiled any survivors.

I hate fleas.
I'm sorry, but you just about made me spit wine all over the keyboard at the mental image of boiling the cats and dogs!!!:pound::pound::pound:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Pam, that was so funny! But, I do agree, wherever you live there is always a chance of picking up a few fleas and having them in your home is no laughing matter. I have a few horror stories about fleas in the house down here but won't go into that........lol Suffice it to say - yes, flea medication IS necessary! We use it all year round in the south.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,210 Posts
I got my horror of fleas when we lived in FL. We lived in an apartment that had fleas in the wall-to-wall carpet. When I boraxed the carpet, you could see the fleas leaping in the air before they died a horrid death in the vacuum cleaner. Thank goodness, I am not a Buddhist. My karma would be really really bad.... :D

3,646 Posts
I'm sorry, but you just about made me spit wine all over the keyboard at the mental image of boiling the cats and dogs!!!:pound::pound::pound:
That mental image was too much!:pound: My sides hurt from laughing! :pound: Sorry Pam - I doubt if it was too funny, but your description was priceless!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts