Havanese Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that a rule of thumb is that an adult dog is roughly twice the weight of a puppy at 16 weeks. Has this been true for any of you? Or is it a myth when it comes to Havanese? I'm particularly interested in the adult Havs that are on the larger size since Mando is probably going to be on the larger side, too. What were your fur babies' weights at 16 weeks vs. adulthood?

Mando's breeder believes he will be about 15 lbs. Our vet believes he'll be bigger than that but didn't venture to guess how much bigger.

I know it's just more of Mando to love but am just a tad bit worried about flying with him in the future. There's no way I would risk flying him anywhere except in-cabin with us.

I've attached a gratuitous puppy pic of Mando today looking fluffy after his bath. And yes, he mischievously flipped over my son's chair to make room for himself and Lambchop Jr. (Lambchop Sr. is still out for "plastic surgery" after Mando "loved" him to pieces).

tempImagexfT3Vz.png

Registered
How much is that cute fluffy boy clocking in at? Piper is 5.68lbs (5 pounds 11 ounces) at the vet yesterday at age 16 weeks and 3 days. I heard the double the 16-week weight thing too but I'm sure mileage varies

Also why do all dogs seem to have a love/hate thing with lambcop? 馃槀

Metrowest, MA
All three of mine were smaller than that 鈥渞ule of thumb鈥 would have suggested.

Reactions: Mando's Mommy

Registered
I think it really depends on the dog... I鈥檝e heard some people say that theirs wound up smaller than that would suggest, and mine wound up a little bigger... he was around 7.5 lbs at 16 weeks, and is a little under 18 as an adult. That said, we fly with him without a problem鈥 him plus his bag is just under 20 lbs, and that鈥檚 the max weight for most airlines.

Also, he鈥檚 adorable!! How much does he weigh now?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much is that cute fluffy boy clocking in at? Piper is 5.68lbs (5 pounds 11 ounces) at the vet yesterday at age 16 weeks and 3 days. I heard the double the 16-week weight thing too but I'm sure mileage varies

Also why do all dogs seem to have a love/hate thing with lambcop? 馃槀
Mando weighed 7.8 lbs at 12 weeks 1 day according to the vet鈥檚 scale. She said he was 鈥減erfect鈥 when I asked about his weight. Our bathroom scale showed him to be 9.8 lbs as of yesterday (15 weeks 5 days).

Mando definitely loves his lambchops. Maybe a bit too much!

Arf! Arf!
I think that 'rule of paw' can vary dramatically. I know that RICKY's weight increased by 50% from 9 months to adult. And he is very lean and muscular. I think he would also be classified as a large boned Havanese. He is 11 - 11.5 inches at the shoulder, right at the top of the Havanese standard. At 15+ pounds it is a snug fit for him in his Sherpa 'airline approved' travel bag and a tight fit under the seat in front. I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ship my dog as air freight in the hold.

I have met in person, KODI, PIXEL, and PANDA (RICKY wasn't with us). Just for reference, RICKY is a little smaller than KODI, a little bigger than PANDA, and would tower over PIXEL. I figure RICKY is about the same size as @Heather's SCOUT.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it really depends on the dog... I鈥檝e heard some people say that theirs wound up smaller than that would suggest, and mine wound up a little bigger... he was around 7.5 lbs at 16 weeks, and is a little under 18 as an adult. That said, we fly with him without a problem鈥 him plus his bag is just under 20 lbs, and that鈥檚 the max weight for most airlines.

Also, he鈥檚 adorable!! How much does he weigh now?
Thanks, Lisa! Good to know that you can still travel with a fur baby up to 20 lbs with the bag included. I wonder if Mando will get too tall to be comfortable under the seat but maybe that鈥檚 a whole other issue.

Registered
Thanks, Lisa! Good to know that you can still travel with a fur baby up to 20 lbs with the bag included. I wonder if Mando will get too tall to be comfortable under the seat but maybe that鈥檚 a whole other issue.
That was my worry as well, but he likes to lie down when he鈥檚 under the seat anyway... but he鈥檚 also not that tall, more big boned (but healthy weight)...and big headed lol. Ive noticed that many vets tend to say 鈥榩erfect weight鈥 regardless of where they are in the standard... they鈥檙e just going by whether they are lean enough I think.
I flew to pick him up from his breeder, so he had his first flight at 11 weeks, and around once a year since, usually to visit our families around the holidays. He doesn鈥檛 seem to mind it at all, and is just happy to be with us. At the end of the flight people are usually surprised to find out there was a dog down there!

Metrowest, MA
I think that 'rule of paw' can vary dramatically. I know that RICKY's weight increased by 50% from 9 months to adult. And he is very lean and muscular. I think he would also be classified as a large boned Havanese. He is 11 - 11.5 inches at the shoulder, right at the top of the Havanese standard. At 15+ pounds it is a snug fit for him in his Sherpa 'airline approved' travel bag and a tight fit under the seat in front. I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ship my dog as air freight in the hold.

I have met in person, KODI, PIXEL, and PANDA (RICKY wasn't with us). Just for reference, RICKY is a little smaller than KODI, a little bigger than PANDA, and would tower over PIXEL. I figure RICKY is about the same size as @Heather's SCOUT.
For reference, my dogs have all been measured officially on agility wickets,so I have exact heights on them. (Most people guess) Kodi is EXACTLY 11.5鈥. Pixel is actually taller than Panda, at 10.5鈥.But she. Is in a puppy cut, so doesn鈥檛 have coat standing off her back making her appear taller, and she also is much finer boned than the others, and weighs the least. Panda is 10.25鈥, so actually, by the 鈥渟tandard鈥 the 鈥渟mallest of the three, even though she outweighs Pixel by 2 1/2 lbs, with no fat on her.

Heather says Scout is at the top of the standard, which is 11.5鈥. Weight doesn鈥檛 count at all in the standard. (Which I know Popi knows... just adding here for newer people)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts