Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old is your Havanese and how much do they weigh? What age did you have them Spayed/Neutered and how did it change their weight or behavior?

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
Tori is 2 yrs. old and weighs around 7.5 lbs. She was spayed at 9 mos. old and it didn't change a thing about her behavior/weight.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine are 5 months old and 9.1 and 9.2 lbs. The darker one is heavier. He has a much smaller bone structure. Go figure. He has always been .1 lbs heavier than his brother but he is smaller. They are scheduled for castration at 6 months. This age sound alright with everyone? My giant dogs were fixed at 3 months but that was the vet's preference because of size/weight issues. My Saint is 180 and my Newfie was alright until she was fixed and then she put on weight and I had to restrict her to a special diet. I could no longer free feed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tori is 2 yrs. old and weighs around 7.5 lbs. She was spayed at 9 mos. old and it didn't change a thing about her behavior/weight.
What a sweetie! I recognize that "look" :D

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Dexter is 11 months and his weight is pretty stable around 11 1/2-12 pounds for several months.

Dexter was neutered at 6 months. At six months, you Hav is still growing and at this time Dexter was weighing in at 8 pounds. I did not notice any increase in appetite, but have always noticed, if Dexter is not hungry he will not eat...he loves those snacks whenever they are provided....so, I go easy on the snacks when Dexter is not eating the good food.

The breeder had told me that Dexter will probably be around 12 pounds when he is an adult. Check with your breeder, they are your best weight prediction for your Hav. And............then..........it is always fun to watch weight charts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Tucker is just shy of 6 mos. old and weighs 10.5#. The breeder told us he would be a big boy. She also thought he should be between 9 and 12 mos. before neutering because he would be just about through growing and neutering possibly has an effect on bone growth.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Bumi is 19 weeks now. At 17 weeks, he was 6.4 lbs. He will be neutered at 1 yr

·
Registered
687 Posts
Murphy turned one on September 14th and he weighs 7.5 lbs. He has weighed this for many months now. He was neutered at 6 months.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Chico is fourteen months and weighs about ten and one half lbs. He has been this weight for a long time now. He was neutered at six months which the breeder required.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Rufus is 16 pounds at 2 1/2 years. He was neutered at 7 months? if I remember right. I had wanted to hold off since I had heard about neutering affecting bone growth, but he started humping and marking everything overnight--even my friends legs!! I scheduled his neuter right away and afterwards as the hormone levels dropped the behavior eased off a bit. He still has to be watched very carefully in town and in stores because he will still try to mark! I don't think it affected his weight at all. He continued to grow normally and is a good weight, but could drop a pound without me worrying. :wink:

Marley is 13 1/3 pounds at 1 1/2 years. He was neutered at 6 months and has never lifted his leg. Lately I see he will pee over or near anothers pee, but he squats and it's not a big desperate thing with him. I'd be ok with him gaining that pound that Rufus drops! :p

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi will be 4 yrs old in Nov and weighs 15 lbs.
Shelby will be 3 yrs old in Oct and she weighs 12 lbs.
The were both fixed at about 6.5 months and I didn't notice any change in their weight or personality/temperment.

·
Zeus and Riley's Mom
1,105 Posts
Riley is 18 months and weighs 12 lbs. He was neutered at 5 1/2 months and he's the same sweet boy he was before...with a lot less humping!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Babaloo is 8 1/2 months old ans weighs 10.8 pounds. He lost his "manhood" when he was 8 months old. He appears to be as playful as ever but it's too soon to tell. The breeder told me he would be abut 11 pounds or so. I won't give him back if he gets much bigger.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Todd is 16 months old and weighs 13lbs..he was neutered at 6 months and stopped gaining weight at about 10 months

·
Registered
47 Posts
Drew is 6 1/2 months old. He weighs 7.3 pounds. He will be getting neutered this Friday. I am glad he will be getting this done. He has been trying to hump my 11 year old basset hound mix. Needless to say, the basset is not impressed with that. (basset is a male also.) The breeder said he should be 9 or 10 pounds as an adult.

·
Toby's Mom
305 Posts
Toby is 6 months and weighs 9lbs. He was neutered at 4 months old and this has not affected his weight gain or eating habits.

·
Beth and the girls
1,926 Posts
Bella and Zoey are a couple of months shy of 3. They were spayed at a little over 2 years(pancreatitis kept getting in the way). They both gained a pound the month following their spay. Bella gained another pound after being on prednisone for a bad allergic reaction to who knows what. I have cut back the food amount, mostly eliminating the dry and their weight has stablized. They haven't lost any. Bella my small boned girl weighs just over 11 pounds. Zoey weighs 14 pounds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts