Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Hi Susan,
I really don't know too much about solving aggression problems, but maybe a little bit more information might help others give you some tips. What is the dogs age, sex, is it altered, an only dog, who is it aggressive towards, are there particular situations when it is aggressive, or is it all the time? Any kind of info along those lines might give some insight. Does the dog act dominant also, or does the aggression seem to come from it being scared?
I will be very interested to see if anyone has any suggestions for you.
Best of luck Susan,

Beverly

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Yes I agree with Beverly . Need to know more about every thing when does the dog act in that matter? How old was he when you got him and what kind of living did the dog have before you got him was any one mean to him ect that is very helpful when asking this kind of question people here are very helpful Susan E

·
Registered
17 Posts
how old is your dog, when does the aggression happen, is it territorial, or is he frightened, does it happen with you or just other people. Happy and waiting to help.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What exactly makes you say he is aggressive . Is he biting you nipping you .
Like others have said in their posts what is the age of the dog . Is he a puppy or adult .. You may need professional help . Talk to your Vet . Let him know what you are experiencing and he can refer you .
Also get somedog training books . Cesars way is a good introduction . Your dog is aggressive for a reason . Remember you are the pack leader - they look to you for help and direction ..
Is it just a matter of getting tolknow about your dog . Some are a little more dominant and you need to help them by setting boundaries ..

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi, 14 mos old male is very sweet, gives hugs and kisses all the time. The only time he has shown any aggression is whe he has been afraid. Shelby, ou new 14 week old female is a little more aggressive, especially when she is tired. She will growl and snap when she doesn't want to be bothered. My daughter came over with her two puppies today (Dachshunds) and she just growled and snarled the whole time they were here. But I know she was afraid, because she wouldn't get off my lap.

Puppy classes worked great for Kodi, because he was very fearful of other dogs. By week 5 of classes, he just wanted to play with all of them, big and small. So once Shelby has her last shots, I'll probably take her to classes also.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Hello Everyone, I am in DIRE need of advise. Little Oreo for this past week seems to have developed the need to Growl and Bark LOUDLY at other dogs. He loves people but dogs are another matter. He is still very shy at the puppy class and will avoid the other dogs when its playtime - he keeps his distance. I am trying to stay as calm as possible and I am now monitoring my thoughts when I walk him and during that class. Now, in his puppy class he as not displayed this agression but he tries to hide behind my legs. What do I do? I am not petting him during these episodes, but do I pull him out from behind me to meet the other dogs in puppy class or leave him alone? When walking, do I just keep moving and ignore his behaviour? Help?!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
the trainer that came to our house Sunday, told us that food is one of the best distractors. she has us treating the dogs, when the doorbell rings, when they see another dog, when a stranger comes in. She said that they are so interested in the treats that eventually the things going on around them are not that scary anymore. You also have to make sure that he is Hungry when you do the training. Then the treats are a big motivator. We have been ringing the doorbell while treating. Lily runs to the door barking but comes back for treats again, so at leaset it is not constant at the door. Your puppy class trainer should also be helping you on this!!!

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Thanks Laurie. After your post I immediately called my trainer and she told me very similar along the lines. But she also told me that we just need to strive for "no stress" on Oreo's part. We need to distract him with treats when a dog is about to get to that "trigger" distance and eventually with time he will realize that dogs approaching is good or an okay occurance and not to be alarmed. He is very good in the puppy class and comes out of his shell, my concern is on the streets when walking him - very different when we are indoors with the instructor. She suggested I observe my thoughts and feelings, and also to observe my son when he takes him out for walks to see what kind of message he is giving the dog. I believe this all started this past week since my son has been taking him out more often -before I was the only one taking him out. Slow and steady wins the race i guess. Any more suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Laurie, great tip!!!!! I keep telling myself to keep treats all around the house, some near the front door, in the family room, the stairways.... They're always in the kitchen so not very practical at times! If I keep treats in a pocket, I get the feeling I'll be mauled by Ricky! :eek: lol

Helen, I think the trainer at your classes might be able to offer sugg'ns cuz he/she will see firsthand how Ollie reacts.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Thank you Marj for your encouragement. I think I really need to patient and understanding with him and refrain from our inherent desire to physically comfort him. I will give it more time. I only want to get him to the point that he doesn't react to dogs - I am not too concerned if he isn't lovey dovey with all dogs. As people, we aren't that way - could you imagine if everytime we walked outside we were all hugey and lovey with everyone!! LOL I guess, it really put things into perspective for me and simply focus on his comfort level and desensitize him to the point that he doesn't feel any stress.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
We keep our treats in the kitchen too, but the trainer said we should ALWAYS have them on hand to treat for ANY good behavior. WE put them in our coat pockets & then the three dogs sniff the coats all day long. My poor son leaves his varsity coat on the kitchen chair, and we grab it to take out the dogs, and he always says that when he gets to school, he has smelly dog treats in his pocket. I guess thats what you get for leaving your coat on the chair!!!!

·
MacGyver's Mom
503 Posts
MacGyver also was very shy during puppy kindergarten. We decided to try doggie day care. It turned him around completely! He loves playing with the other dogs and can't wait to go. (We take him one or two days a week.) It's really built up his confidence. We did check out the day care first to make sure it was a place we trusted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've been treating Barney like mad too. We noticed he was getting a bit chunky and we could feel his ribs only with effort. So now we measure out his entire day's kibble and "treat" from that portion. He doesn't notice anything different and we know we're not accidentally over feeding. Plus it's cheaper! Barney will do anything for food.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Careful with the treats in the coat!!! So many jackets have new holes in the pockets courtesy of Ollie!!! If I put my jacket down and he can reach it next thing I know - large holes - took me 3 coats to figure that one out!!!

Olliesmom!

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Well, I am starting this thread because Just about 3 mins ago Oreo exhibited his FIRST attempt and food guarding. The situation was this. As I was on my laptop at the kitchen table, Oreo was in his basket with a greenie. My daughter as usual was petting him and he let out a low "warning" growl. I simply reacted, and I am not sure if it was too much or effective. I reacted immediately and I grabbed him and pinned him with his tummy to me and my daughter. I didn't know what else to do. PLEASE I NEED ADVICE asap!! :(

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is what we leaned in our puppy class to prevent food guarding . She said to sit on the floor or the couch and to hand feed the dog and to make a game out of it .
I must admit it works . I did not use kibble but I used treats . I would take a small dish and I would put in a treat and let him take it then I would show him a treat in my hand and make him wait and then say oK and take it then a treat in the bowm just keep repeating it and say good boy . Yes . There were times I would put my hand in the bowl and put in a treat . I would do this 3 times a day just for short period of time .
Now that he has started the guarding it might not be the smartest thing to put your hand in his bowl . if you go to Puppy class ask her as she has an idea of you dogs behavior .
I do not know about your punishment either but maybe an UH Uh would have worked .. You know your dog best I recommend Ian Dunbars book - it is really helpful on some of these issues or just check his website ..
Good luck .. It can be corrected ..

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Cosmosmom, I thank you for that. I feel like I did overreact. I was the first time and I reacted without even thinking. He has never done that to me and when he did that to my daughter, I flipped :( It was utter shock and this was the first time ever. Now I feel so silly. But I find I am really protective of my children and have always been.. I now know that that is my weak point and I have to watch my reactions. I don't want Oreo to be in fear of me and that here in this house he is in fear of his life. That would be heading in the direction of fear aggression, and I don't want to go there. He obviously feels he is my Daughters Alpha at this point and I have to make sure I readjust this thinking asap. I got a havanese for their easy going nature and companionship. But unless, he is exhibiting behaviours that shows he claims me as "his". I really have to sit and watch him now, and then I have to watch what I do to ensure I am not giving him the wrong message. :(

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Olliesmom - how funny that you say that about the coats. This weekend I had to sew my jacket as Logan chewed holes thru the pockets trying to get at the treats in there! They are sneakly little guys!:rolleyes:

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Helen, I feel the same way with my kids, and I would, and have done, the same thing you did. I don't think you over reacted at all. Oero has to know who is alpha and that is what you did. Good for you. Oreo will respect you for it.:) Oreo is 6 months old? He maybe starting his "teenage stage" this is when they test their boundries, and see what they can get away with, just like kids. You need to be firm, he has to know his place in the pack. Once they know their place they are happy.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts