Havanese Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purebred Havanese owners: Have you purchased AKC pet insurance? Filled a claim? Thoughts? It’s mind boggling trying to study all the available pet insurance choices out there. I’m torn between AKC and Trupanion. I’ll appreciate any advice, experiences, your past experience is greatly appreciated.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,224 Posts
We got a free month of AKC pet insurance. I wasn't impressed. It barely covers anything, only accidents or severe illness.
Things not covered:
vet/tech visit fees - these are usually $40-60
vaccines
routine lab tests
problems caused by insects (flea, tick, lyme, scabies, etc.)
the list of not-covered things was very long

I looked over our yearly visits. Nothing we did would have been covered. It seemed as if most insurances were the same. I could be wrong. We didn't bother to get any.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Even though most plans don’t cover routine care, I wish we would have looked into more detail on plans that cover extensive care. After we had Sundance for a while I was surprised to learn how many treatments, surgeries, etc. can cost well over $5,000 but give a pet many more high quality years of life. The longer we have him, the more willing I am to sell everything I own and mortgage my house to pay for any and all treatment.

the other issue is that in veterinary care the lines are blurred between was is considered necessary medical treatment and how much people are willing to pay, and where euthanizing the dog fits into that. I dont want all of those issues to be a factor in my decisions.

We didn’t do insurance, but I’d probably do it differently next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts