Havanese Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have recently got a puppy and I was wondering about registration. Both his mom and dad are AKC registered but I was not given papers for me to register my dog. When I contacted the breeder about this he said that he broke the breeding contract for the father of my puppy and could not register my dog. I really wanted to get some trick titles for my pup and get him into agility and other dog sports with an AKC registration. I don't want to neuter him until he reaches 2 so I can't get him registered with PAL. Is there anything I can do?

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Hello! I have recently got a puppy and I was wondering about registration. Both his mom and dad are AKC registered but I was not given papers for me to register my dog. When I contacted the breeder about this he said that he broke the breeding contract for the father of my puppy and could not register my dog. I really wanted to get some trick titles for my pup and get him into agility and other dog sports with an AKC registration. I don't want to neuter him until he reaches 2 so I can't get him registered with PAL. Is there anything I can do?
Unfortunately, no. You will have to wait until he is two, and neuter him. Then you can register him under PAL. It makes me mad that your breeder was so dishonest to sell you a puppy that could not be registered without making this ABUNDANTLY clear when you bought him. But you are doing the right thing to wait until he is fully mature to neuter him!

While it is possible that he could be ready for some “easy” non-competitive titles like CGC and trick titles before he turns two, realistically, it is unlikely that he would be doing much serious agility or other competitve sports before that age anyway. So spend this time honing his skills so that he can start racking up those titles as soon as he turns two, gets neutered, and gets registered!

And let this be a lesson to other puppy buyers! My puppies go home with their registration complete and in hand, because we complete it together, on my laptop, on my kitchen counter, before the puppy leaves my house. But AT VERY LEAST you should leave with the paper form, with all information properly filled out by the breeder so that YOU can register your puppy when you get home!

For me, it is important that EVERY puppy I produce be registered, and for this reason, I am willing to pay for the registration fee myself. (It is SLIGHTLY discounted if the breeder does the entire litter and does them on-line) Other breeders choose to have the puppy buyer pick up that expense, and that, of course completely within their rights. It is NOT technically the responsibility of the breeder to register the puppies individually, only to register the litter. It IS, however, their responsibility to make sure that they have done everything that is necessary so that the new owner can register their new puppy.

The most common reasons that a puppy cannot be registered is that either one or both parents are not AKC registered to start with, or that the breeder has broken his or her contrct with the stud owner, so that that person refuses to sign off on the litter. In either case, it is something that the breeder is well aware of, and SHOULD have disclosed to the buyer. A purebred Havanese puppy that can’t be registered can still turn out to be a very nice pet, of course, but it should not be sold for full price. It should be steeply discounted. In my opinion, you should be paying something like half the cost of a well bred, registered puppy.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Pam registers the litters, but our puppy buyers leave here with their signed AKC papers. We used to send them ourselves, but it takes so long for a lot of people to ever come up with a name, and we don't want to rush them.

Even though our Register of Merit status depends on every puppy being registered, we're still leaving it up to the individual homes to do the registering. So far, after several years, that has not been a problem.

By the way, I'm excited to say our website is operable again!. I still don't know how to edit it, except for replacing blocks on the templated pages with text, but we haven't been able to do anything with it for about a year.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Pam registers the litters, but our puppy buyers leave here with their signed AKC papers. We used to send them ourselves, but it takes so long for a lot of people to ever come up with a name, and we don't want to rush them.

Even though our Register of Merit status depends on every puppy being registered, we're still leaving it up to the individual homes to do the registering. So far, after several years, that has not been a problem.
I know a lot of breeders leave it up to the new owners. I’ve just heard from other breeders (and from a lot of people here!) that many people don’t bother, and that worried me! I didn’t want to have to chase people! My breeder of merit status, should I ever achieve it, is still ahead, so it’s REALLY important that none slip though the cracks!

By the way, I'm excited to say our website is operable again!. I still don't know how to edit it, except for replacing blocks on the templated pages with text, but we haven't been able to do anything with it for about a year.
Yay! That’s AWESOME news! Congratulations! I know it was a long time coming!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts