Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if any of you, like me, were first attracted to Havanese because of their being "hypo-allergenic" Having life long allergies to all animals (even poodles) I am amazed daily that I now spend my life with two fluff-balls with really very little reaction.

I am a bit allergic to them as puppies- there is so much pee around and that is a key allergen ( I think I am also allergic to the stain and odor removers too.)

But- I know no animal is truly allergen free-- but I am so allergic that when I get tested- I am off the charts-- and these guys don't bother me.

Anyone else with allergy stories?

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Missy, I am also allergic to dogs and cats. I find my allergies have always been amplified when I have bathed and groomed my dogs in the past. With Oreo, although I still ave allergy symptoms, my allergies are not as severe with him. I was practically asthmatic with my dogs growing up. In my case now, my allergies are managable and I can live with them now :)

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I have no allergies (knock on wood), but I chose Poodles and then Havanese because they don't shed, don't drool and don't smell when they are wet. Now if I could only get my Persians to stop shedding. ;)

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Yes, my allergies are a reason why I chose to get a Havanese, the fact that they don't shed and are very playful dogs (I still love to play!) and I do want a full time companion :)

I am deathly allergic to cats and moderately allergic to dogs! I won't even go to a few of my friend's houses that have cats because I can't breathe for days after I visit her.

love,
Kara

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I was attracted to them too for shedding very little and being good for people with allergies. I don't have allergies to dogs but my niece does and I wanted her to be comfortable when she is around. Plus, my sister says Houston is the test dog. If my niece can handle being around him, maybe they will get a Hav too.:) :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Julia wrote: "I have no allergies (knock on wood), but I chose Poodles and then Havanese because they don't shed, don't drool and don't smell when they are wet. Now if I could only get my Persians to stop shedding. "

*** Yup, those were some of my considerations too, when looking for the best breed for us. I love the playfulness and various personalities of the Havanese, their size and weight and the wide variety of colorings.

I have had some reaction to certain dogs, but I have no idea just which ones, nor for how long I could react. I can visit one friend who has a Burm. Mtn. and a Lab and have absolutely no reaction. I visit my mom with her Pekingese and sometimes I'm o.k., other times I'm not. The last thing I want is to get attached to our pet only to have to give him away due to allergies!! No way I could think of doing that so.....

The only thing I was concerned about getting a Hav. was the description of them as "velcro dogs" as I was a little worried I'd be tied down at home and never able to leave for more than an hour! That hasn't been the case at all though. Ricky stays in his crate when we're gone on w/e outings and almost every time we come back home, he's waking up with a stretch and seems just fine. :) We've never left him for more than 4 hrs. though just because I think more than that isn't good. I'm the one who worries the whole time we're out! lol

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm happy to report that two Hav's have not put my allergies into overdrive. In fact I really don't react at all. And I have allergies! I have a 1/2 hour limit at friends houses with cats, and a little longer with dogs.

For those of you with allergies, I have found that using "simple solution allergy relief from pets wipes" once a week really helps me. The best price I found is from amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solutions-10301-Allergy-Relief/dp/B0002APQ34"]Amazon.com: Simple Solutions 10301 Allergy Relief from Pets Wipes (8-9"x9" wipes): Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

You just wipe the dog down (kind of lik a sponge bath) it also freshens them up between groomings. I only have to bath Jas once a month to every 6 weeks. (unless of course he rolls in something)

enjoy your allergen free babies---

Marj: what does your new pup to be look like?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I do have allergies to dogs and cats, but am pretty stable around my own. Just have to wash hands and not touch eyes if I pet the cats. However, if I am around other peoples dogs, other than non-allergenic types, I do get itchy eyes and a runny nose, even with my daughter's dogs.

But not my Havs :D

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Missy thanks for that suggestion. I think I will get the wipes. Last night, Oreo had an accident in his crate. He said nothing the whole time until right before. He whimpered, I immediately got up to find him soaked in his urine. Poor guy was trying to clean his crate. It was 3:20 am, and I just took the entire crate, put it in the tub. Rinsed the bottom of the crate, and then bathed Oreo. What I found interesting is that my allegies flared up BIG TIME! I had a cough that sounded like croup! I think I am allergic to his urine. That was the most urine I had to deal with at once. All over the bottom of his crate and all over him! I took claritin and has taken some of the edge off, but that reaction was insane. I also started to think and remember when exactly my allergies were the most intense since we got Oreo - and I figured it was when we had the pads in the house. Now, he goes outside exclusively and his pad/padholder are on our balcony. Since then, I have found my allergies to have really gone away.... Until, this recent accident early this morning. I guess the good thing is knowing what it is that triggers my reactions :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Wow - it never occured to me one could be allergic to the urine. I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction! True, it is good to at least know now.
Poor little Oreo .... guess his tiny bladder just couldn't hold it in anymore.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Marj, poor Oreo, he was trying to clean up his mess!! Then when I put the entire crate in the bathtub to wash, I took off the top and then I saw Oreo with the most pitiful look in his face. I knew he felt what he did was wrong and after that, although I did feel bad for him, I simply cleaned out the crate and then bathed him. I lost an hour of sleep, but he was so nice and fluffy and smelling good. We both had a great sleep after, and the great thing was that it was Sunday and I got to sleep in!! :)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Oh yes, and the funny thing was, was that right before falling asleep, my husband and I were talking about potty training and our reactions if he makes a mess. I remember saying that we are very compassionate with our daughter 2.5yrs when she has had accidents, and Oreo really is no different but that it was caused by our unattentiveness. Well, lets just say that I really had to check myself and practice my preaching ;) Funny, how the lessons come when we need them :) LOL

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Very true!! I'm still learning lessons all the time. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I got a Havanese mostly for cuteness loyalty personality and intelligence . My daughter in law is very allergic so I was happy that they were considered to be less likely to cause allergies .
I have developed some later in life allergies especially since moving to Ca . Different flora than on the east coast ..
Everything is in bloom right now and my allergies have been acting up .
Nope it is not the dogs - it is the pollen . Even the dogs sneeze when they get up in the morning ..
They were both groomed the other day and had their hair shortened so I hope we do not have another cold snap ..

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
We have LOTs of people come to our house to meet the Havanese. A fair percentage of them do have allergies but we've never seen anyone have any kind of reaction to the dogs. If they aren't allergic in our house, they won't be allergic anywhere. We have quite a number of families with children who have allergies who are happily living with our puppies (they're still puppies to us even if they are nine years old).

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Although I got my three for their personalities, loyalty and just all around cuteness!! My best friend who also has three has terrible allergies!! She cannot stay in a house with dogs or cats for more than 20 minutes without needing an inhaler - and she has no problem what-so-ever with this breed. I think they are just great whether you are allergic or not!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh. I am heartbroken.... My neice came to visit Houston today and we were testing her because she has allergies to dogs. Well she was in heaven. Houston sat on her lap for 1/2 hour and it was great. Well, she got home and her eyes were swollen and she was weazing. OH. Auntie was even thinking of helping them purchase a Hav if she could be around him. My sister did say that it was still better than any other dog that she has been around but she would have to take shots. That is a little too much for an 8 year old. :( :( She already takes an inhaler every day for her asthma.

So, I guess the advice of someone previously (I think Tom) is great. Make sure you are around one and see what happens. If she passed this test we were going to try it for a weekend before they went looking for one.

On the plus side, my sister was in tears because my nephew who is 5 loved Houston and it was a big step for him. He is terrified of dogs because their neighbor's huge Lab pounced on him when he was 4 and wouldn't get off of him. He remembers it very well. So at least he is getting over that.

Still heartbreaking though. I just hope my neice outgrows her allergy.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rita, have your niece test again when houston is no longer a puppy. the forst Hav a met I was allergic to as a puppy but as she got older I was fine. With my own boys- my allergies were much worse when until they were 6 months. I believe it has to do with so much urine around and some of that protein (urine protein is key allergen) don't write it off- have her try again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks Missy. I will tell my sister that. She was going to have her see Houston again and take meds first but I will tell her about this. I just feel so bad. She was in absolute heaven.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Hi Rita,
My daughter had allergies really bad and we started the shots when she was in 2nd grade. She had allergies to dogs and cats and I have always had both. The shots really worked. After she was on them for a year or so my husband learned how to give them to her and we gave her the shot at home.
She took the shots from 2nd grade to I think like 5th grade. Has never had problems with her allergies since. My brother had to do the samething when he was a kid and he had the asthma too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts