Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mudpuppymama, I wanted to tell you that I LOVE all the cleome that self seeds in my yard now that you got me started on cleome. I couldn't find that old thread about our yards, so I'm just telling you here. If anyone wants to plant cleome, it has to be in the ground, not a pot, and I recommend planting it en masse for best visual effect from afar. Know that it will self seed. I hate all the rock that was landscaped around our house, so I'm very happy to see cleome sprouting out of it!

Cute pictures of your babies and their new beds. Good luck with your move!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋
Thanks ShamaMama! We have moved but have no internet. Stealing my in-law's computer for some communication with the outside world. Glad you love the cleome. Orange cosmos is also wonderful. Reseeds itself and does not need any water! I did not plant one seed this year but have more cosmos than ever. We still have to sell our old house and things are crazy. But we survived the move. It is crazy but Mia has not gone into her Amish basket much since the move. We have stained concrete floors and she loves laying on the hard concrete with just a towel! I imagine she will be in her basket when it gets colder.

Metrowest, MA
Thanks ShamaMama! We have moved but have no internet. Stealing my in-law's computer for some communication with the outside world. Glad you love the cleome. Orange cosmos is also wonderful. Reseeds itself and does not need any water! I did not plant one seed this year but have more cosmos than ever. We still have to sell our old house and things are crazy. But we survived the move. It is crazy but Mia has not gone into her Amish basket much since the move. We have stained concrete floors and she loves laying on the hard concrete with just a towel! I imagine she will be in her basket when it gets colder.
Can鈥檛 wait for you to get internet so we can have a picture tour!!!

Premium Member
Is the process to get internet out to your house going to be difficult?

Sundance would love stained concrete! It鈥檚 probably still nice that you set up her basket before the move, so it鈥檚 familiar when she does want it.

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Can鈥檛 wait for you to get internet so we can have a picture tour!!!
You definitely do not want to see a tour of what it looks like now!!! Still getting organized. Finally can see the kitchen island! But I will try to get pictures as soon as it looks tolerable. Still borrowing my in-laws' computer when I have a chance.

Premium Member
Glad you love the cleome. Orange cosmos is also wonderful. Reseeds itself and does not need any water! I did not plant one seed this year but have more cosmos than ever.
Can you recommend a brand of orange cosmos? I tried cosmos for the second time this year. My friend had told me it didn't thrive last year because I overfertilized. She told me I needed to completely ignore it. So I ignored it this summer (other than watering), and I have only ONE flower so far! My new goal is to FIGURE OUT HOW TO GROW COSMOS!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can you recommend a brand of orange cosmos? I tried cosmos for the second time this year. My friend had told me it didn't thrive last year because I overfertilized. She told me I needed to completely ignore it. So I ignored it this summer (other than watering), and I have only ONE flower so far! My new goal is to FIGURE OUT HOW TO GROW COSMOS!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋
ShamaMama, I have had my orange cosmos seed for years so not sure what the variety is. However, from pictures on the web it looks like Bright Lights. Note that to grow cosmos successfully, you need BAD soil, NO water and absolutely NO fertilizer!!!! They love abuse which is why I love them. The only thing they need is sun. I have not watered mine once all summer. I would post a pic but cannot access photos right now...stealing the inlaws' computer. Some of it is actually as tall as I am which has never happened before!

Metrowest, MA
I did water, so next year, I'll try to remember to stop that!
:LOL:
I think the orange ones are much closer to the 鈥渨ild flower鈥 version, which is what makes them so tolerant of poor conditions. I鈥檝e always used the pink and white ones, mixed with Cleome, in my perennial gardens, because they like basically the same conditions as the perennials (part to full sun, better soil, regular fertilization and watering) and carry the garden through the 鈥渄own period鈥 for blooms in high summer, between the daylilies and when the phlox, cone flowers and asters really get going. But I don鈥檛 find that they reseed as freely as the orange ones, so you do need to replant them.

Registered
Hope you are settled soon Mudpuppymama馃槝. Chuckling to myself that Mia is doing a Flo and ignoring her gorgeous new bed in favour of the floor馃檮. Like you say I鈥檓 sure she鈥檒l change her mind once it gets a bit chillier.

Also stop the press! Why have I never heard about this unkillable flower before!! This is definitely a sign for next summer!

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think the orange ones are much closer to the 鈥渨ild flower鈥 version, which is what makes them so tolerant of poor conditions. I鈥檝e always used the pink and white ones, mixed with Cleome, in my perennial gardens, because they like basically the same conditions as the perennials (part to full sun, better soil, regular fertilization and watering) and carry the garden through the 鈥渄own period鈥 for blooms in high summer, between the daylilies and when the phlox, cone flowers and asters really get going. But I don鈥檛 find that they reseed as freely as the orange ones, so you do need to replant them.
Orange cosmos is definitely more hardy for me and they reseed beautifully. I did not put down any seed this year and they propagated in their beds and everywhere else! Only negative with cosmos is the seeds are sharp and they can get into the dogs' coats. At our new house, I hope to plant them away from the house so I can look at them but keep the dogs away!

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi Everyone, things are crazy with our move and getting our old house on the market. I finally think I can share some pictures so giving it a shot. Dogs seem to have adjusted well to our new home, although still preferring to lay on concrete vs. their orthopedic dog beds!

Table Furniture Property Lighting Countertop
Cabinetry Furniture Countertop Window Wood
Property Lighting Wood Interior design Shade
Property Picture frame Table Furniture Wood
Furniture Window Property Building Table

Premium Member
All of the windows and light are beautiful, and it鈥檚 so smart that the floor and ceiling softly bounce all of that light around. Is the floor easy to clean? I love all of the drawers in the kitchen! The wood is pretty, too. Are the dogs enjoying the outdoor space?

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
All of the windows and light are beautiful, and it鈥檚 so smart that the floor and ceiling softly bounce all of that light around. Is the floor easy to clean? I love all of the drawers in the kitchen! The wood is pretty, too. Are the dogs enjoying the outdoor space?
Thank you. The floor is easy to clean. I just dry mop and occasionally damp mop it. As far as how it holds up I don鈥檛 know yet. It does require some waxing occasionally in high traffic areas, The dogs are enjoying their outside walks. I am enjoying not having to deal with speeding cars, trucks, school buses and gas fumes! We had no sidewalks at the old house and narrow streets. We are enjoying the lighting and glad it is working out. Since I was the 鈥渓ighting designer鈥 it was a little scary! As far as the metal ceiling the main reason we did that is because we thought we would not be able to find a drywall person and would have to do it ourself. We thought we could handle walls but not ceilings! The builder offered to put up the metal. We are actually liking it though so turned out to be a good thing.

Metrowest, MA
Absolutely STUNNING!!! Looks like it's right out of a design magazine! I LOVE it!!! 馃挄

Metrowest, MA
We are enjoying the lighting and glad it is working out. Since I was the 鈥渓ighting designer鈥 it was a little scary! As far as the metal ceiling the main reason we did that is because we thought we would not be able to find a drywall person and would have to do it ourself. We thought we could handle walls but not ceilings! The builder offered to put up the metal. We are actually liking it though so turned out to be a good thing.
The lighting, at least in these photos, is amazing. I would NEVER have thought of this as a ceiling choice, but I LOVE it. I don't think it would work here in NE, because I bet it could not be insulated well enough for our climate. But it is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

Owned by a Havallon
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
The lighting, at least in these photos, is amazing. I would NEVER have thought of this as a ceiling choice, but I LOVE it. I don't think it would work here in NE, because I bet it could not be insulated well enough for our climate. But it is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Thanks Karen. I would have never thought of this as a ceiling material either so it was a bit of a risk. There is actually quite a bit of insulation in the attic above the ceiling. We have been pleased with our utility bills, however we have only been running heat or AC for the past year while we were not living there. In the hot summer where it is in the 90鈥檚 the highest electric bill was $35 and $25 is the basic fee. Last winter was one of the coldest on record here鈥own into the single digits for an extended period. The highest bill during winter was $120. Now that we are living there, we will have a more realistic idea of what our energy costs will be.

Metrowest, MA
Thanks Karen. I would have never thought of this as a ceiling material either so it was a bit of a risk. There is actually quite a bit of insulation in the attic above the ceiling. We have been pleased with our utility bills, however we have only been running heat or AC for the past year while we were not living there. In the hot summer where it is in the 90鈥檚 the highest electric bill was $35 and $25 is the basic fee. Last winter was one of the coldest on record here鈥own into the single digits for an extended period. The highest bill during winter was $120. Now that we are living there, we will have a more realistic idea of what our energy costs will be.
Interesting that they can insulate above it! And it doesn't sweat with the internal humidity of the house below it?

Metrowest, MA
Oh, another question! Does the concrete floor have built in heating?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts