Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
You are ready for a new one ALREADY???!?!? That was fast! Sorry I am on the east coast but I am sure there are some here who can help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just thinking ahead ;) I know that as playful as he is, he would be happy with a buddy someday. I'm thinking when he reaches around 10 months to 1 year. And since we have to wait....I thought I'd start looking!

Besides, his poor little piggy (stuffed) isn't much of a playmate! We have to throw him, he won't run on his own!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! If I've learned one thing from this forum, it's that it never hurts to think ahead! :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This time please contact the HCA and local clubs. You want to deal with a breeder that does ALL the health testing, shows their dogs, and will be there for you in the future. I went to the web site of Havanese house as suggested to you by someone else and can't find info on testing, champions, memberships to clubs etc.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Jolynn! I'm so excited to hear you've already got the "potato chip syndrom" lol!
Yes, Skiver and your family would love having another one around to play with too!

Beverly

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jolynn, you will not be sorry. The best thing I did was to get Shelby. Kodi loves her and gets sad when she decides to take a nap, because he still wants to play :)

True, you have to go thru the potty thing again, but I think you are not as stressed as with the first one.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes. Now you know how to scrutinize everyone. They better watch out!!!!!!! Did you look at the HCA website. Click on local clubs. There is the Gateway Club and Lake Erie Club that may be close enough to begin your search.

Also, email the HCA for the breeder list. See if their auto reply is working...

Good luck. You guys are making me envious.:(

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
If you feel like making a drive, there is a good breeder outside of Chicago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well the Havanese house,com uses Michigan State University Vet progrogram to check for eyes and patella. And they will gladly provide all documentation of health testing. They will meet with you and let you see their dogs and homes. At this time the do not show their dogs.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
nojmanloo, I don't think anyone here is personally attacking you. You said "I guess though I am unworthy of offering a suggestion and my experience with them is irrelavant. My Havanese dog Ceecee is not reallly worth mentioning because she came from them. And from this point forward I will refrain from participating because my dog did not come from a breeder that shows there dogs."
It is important to understand that we are cautious buyers because the reality is that we DO NEED to be cautious. There are many so-called breeders that promise the sun, moon and stars and then when it comes to really living up to things they show their bi-polarness by avoiding to support and help the buyer when the breeder's negligence has caused all the problems in the first place. We love the Havanese breed, and we support those breeders that continue to strive to make the breed better. I am sorry you feel the way you do but you do have to understand the need to be particular in this instance.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Nojmanloo,
The "breeder" you were referring too does not show their dogs to try and obtain a championship, but they do brag about the fact that their breeding dogs came from champions. Here is a quote from their web site: "All of our adults are Champion sired; AND Grand Sired."

In my opinion IF a breeder is breeding dogs, they should only be doing so to improve the breed, not just sell puppies. It is no longer enough to only CERF the breeding dogs. While I know that showing a dog can be political and frustrating at times, it is the only means we have to determine if an animal is worthy of being use for breeding. It isn't perfect, as I know many dogs that shouldn't have been in the ring in the first place, but it is what it is. I am not meaning to be insulting to you, so please forgive me if I have. I am only pointing out things I think all buyers should take into consideration. Breeders who don't health test, have no idea what they might be putting back into the gene pool for our breed, and that isn't making the breed better.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Any Breeders in Michigan

[My Havanese dog Ceecee is not reallly worth mentioning because she came from them. And from this point forward I will refrain from participating because my dog did not come from a breeder that shows there dogs.[/QUOTE]

Did I miss something. I didn't think it mattered where you got your dog. I thought this was a forum to share information. And learn more about our beloved breed. Any Havanese is worth mentioning in my opinion. Please continue to participate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked up that breeder in Michigan, and even tho they don't show their dogs, they sure do more testing than the breeder I used, who didn't health test his female, even tho he shows his dogs. THe Michigan breeder does way more, has a better contract and keeps in touch with the pups new forever homes, which is evident on the home page. I'd be much more likely to go with a breeder like that than this last one who had a bunch of champions.

Love, rather than money, makes a better motivation, and that's what I saw on this website. Different experience than the one I had.

Thanks for the conversation, tho, I think it does help everyone in the end. And thanks for the heads up on the Michigan breeders, and the advise on where to look for others :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My Havanese dog Ceecee is not reallly worth mentioning because she came from them. And from this point forward I will refrain from participating because my dog did not come from a breeder that shows there dogs.
If you check out our pasts posts you will see that some people had dealings with fly-by-night breeders. That is why we are very adamant about asking all the questions. We all just need to remember that people all have different expectations for what they want in a breeder. I may love mine, you may love yours and someone else will hate them both because their personalities collide or they had miscommunication (This is separate from health testing. I am talking about the person who didn't tell the breeder they wanted a dog for their 8 year old to play dress up with and the dog doesn't have the personality for that, etc).

As far as the breeder you mentioned, I belived they are mentioned on the local clubs site. Also, they might not list all the health testing on their site. So, Jolynn can follow up on it. She knows the right questions to ask and where to look on the web to verify.

I hope you still participate. Not everyone here has show dogs, many are just pets. We all love the Havanese no matter what she/he does. Please don't take it personal.............

LOL:) :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Since we are still venting on the breeders, here's an incident with one. I met her at a local dog show and she had beautiful little b/w puppies, which is what I was looking for. She said they were not for sale "yet" because she would be showing them first, and then deciding which ones she would be selling. We kept in touch via email for months, while she was showing these pups. In the interim, I found Shelby. About the same time, I heard from this breeder that her dog was due to have a litter early in 2007.

Was she just stringing me along so she could up the ante? She apparently sold the other puppies. She asked me where I got my puppy, and I told her in NY state. She said she never heard of any breeders in NY state. Well, NY breeders are listed on club website. So, now I am glad I didn't go with this breeder, even though her dogs are being shown at Westminster.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
irnfit, she was probably not stringing you along, but could have been trying to keep you informed - and weigh her own options.

I am planning a litter late in the year that I will probably keep for several months because there is something specific that I want to watch develop. I would not be able to see it at 10 weeks or even 12 weeks old, but it is very important to me. I may even go the route of the breeder you met and show them first to see if they hold up to my expectations.

On the flip side, I kept a beautiful girl from my last litter to show. Unfortunately, sometimes things change that won't allow you to keep showing them. She had one little change in her bite, but it was enough that I could not continue showing her, so I just offered her to a family that had met & adored her.

A breeder who is truly trying to better their breeding program just never knows how they will develop. Sometimes they get better, sometimes things go off from what we expected.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kim, thanks for the reply. I understand exactly what you have pointed out. My complaint is that as soon as she knew her bitch was pregnant, the pup I was waiting for was never mentioned again. I was disapointed, because I had been waiting over 6 months to find out about this puppy. So it was just a thought that since she had me, she could up the ante on a new puppy, instead of a dog that was almost a year old. Just my feelings on the mattter.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
That's hard. It almost sounds like there was a lack of communication on her part. I have no idea who you are talking about (and I don't want to know), but it's a reminder for me to keep communication going with everyone who has inquired on a puppy. I try, but I'm always afraid that sometimes I let someone slip through the cracks. I find myself going back through emails and voicemails often to try to prevent that.

So, where do things stand for you now? Shelby is the one you got instead, right? How are things going?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts