Havanese Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have an elderly Havanese and my husband and I decided we want to add a smaller dog to our family. I love the Havanese breed but I am looking for a dog similar in temperament but five to seven pounds. I think I saw someone on here that had a Havanese and added a second dog, a Maltese. My Havanese has his excellent title in rally, I am not super competitive but rather competed in rally as a fun bonding activity to share with my dog. He, also, is a certified therapy dog and he is getting ready to retire and I really enjoy volunteering with my dog so I want another dog that would be good at that. A dog that is calm, confident and very outgoing socially.
If anyone has a Maltese, I would love to hear your experience with the Maltese as compared to the Havanese. I have looked at several small breeds in that five-to-seven-pound weight range but I keep going back to the Maltese.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Destiny

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Hello All,

I have an elderly Havanese and my husband and I decided we want to add a smaller dog to our family. I love the Havanese breed but I am looking for a dog similar in temperament but five to seven pounds. I think I saw someone on here that had a Havanese and added a second dog, a Maltese. My Havanese has his excellent title in rally, I am not super competitive but rather competed in rally as a fun bonding activity to share with my dog. He, also, is a certified therapy dog and he is getting ready to retire and I really enjoy volunteering with my dog so I want another dog that would be good at that. A dog that is calm, confident and very outgoing socially.
If anyone has a Maltese, I would love to hear your experience with the Maltese as compared to the Havanese. I have looked at several small breeds in that five-to-seven-pound weight range but I keep going back to the Maltese.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Destiny
I know a few people with Maltese. They are not THAT similar to Havanese in temperament. I'd put them closer to a Yorkie. A little more high strung, yappier, can be a bit harder to potty train, though I am sure that is somewhat dependent on the start from the breeder and how diligent YOU are... just as with Havanese!

As far as training for sports is concerned, I have known a COUPLE doing it, but very few. Is that because they are more difficult or because less people do it with them? I'm not sure. I am on a small dog performance sports group on FB, and there aren't many represented there. Most Paps, Havanese, JRT's, CKC with a smattering of other breeds.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Thank you for your response. I know, Havanese are such special dogs, I am hoping maybe a Maltese owner will speak up.
If you are on FB, you might want to join that small dog performance dog group and ask. You’ll probably find more Maltese owners there!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, my husband is on facebook. It's funny if I go on the Maltese forum and ask if anyone has Havanese and how they compare, they will probably say Maltese are so much better. Funny how that works.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Thank you, my husband is on facebook. It's funny if I go on the Maltese forum and ask if anyone has Havanese and how they compare, they will probably say Maltese are so much better. Funny how that works.

Better even for sports? That's interesting! When I talk to Coton and Tibetan Terrier people, they are very open about the fact that although they love and are VERY committed to their breed, both find them less than ideal sports partners. I would think the Maltese people would give you an honest assessment in that regard?

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,683 Posts
These breed comparisons are interesting. I have a Yorkie and a Havanese/Papillon mix. Both are great dogs. My yorkie seems to defy what he is supposed to be like. He was super easy to potty train, he rarely barks, he is laid back, he is super friendly and affectionate with all people and dogs. He has every vet we have been to wrapped around his finger. I assume there must be some unique differences between dogs of the same breed. I have not been around many other yorkies so I have limited experience.

As far as size goes, my yorkie is 9 pounds. I was actually glad he turned out to be on the bigger size because I thought that he would be less fragile if bigger. I am not sure what the advantage is of having a super small dog.

One time I was out on the yorkie talk forum and someone was asking if they should get a Havanese or Yorkie. Someone replied they had made this same decision and decided on the yorkie because “Havanese are ugly”!!!! Yikes not sure how anyone could think this. However, everyone has their different idea of what they like in a dog and if you ask the opinion of a group with fierce breed loyalty, I am not sure you are going to get a really unbiased answer!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
These breed comparisons are interesting. I have a Yorkie and a Havanese/Papillon mix. Both are great dogs. My yorkie seems to defy what he is supposed to be like. He was super easy to potty train, he rarely barks, he is laid back, he is super friendly and affectionate with all people and dogs. He has every vet we have been to wrapped around his finger. I assume there must be some unique differences between dogs of the same breed. I have not been around many other yorkies so I have limited experience.

As far as size goes, my yorkie is 9 pounds. I was actually glad he turned out to be on the bigger size because I thought that he would be less fragile if bigger. I am not sure what the advantage is of having a super small dog.

One time I was out on the yorkie talk forum and someone was asking if they should get a Havanese or Yorkie. Someone replied they had made this same decision and decided on the yorkie because “Havanese are ugly”!!!! Yikes not sure how anyone could think this. However, everyone has their different idea of what they like in a dog and if you ask the opinion of a group with fierce breed loyalty, I am not sure you are going to get a really unbiased answer!
Yes, there is DEFINITELY a big variation in temperament among individuals in ANY breed! Even among my 4 Havanese... They re not all alike. even to train!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,683 Posts
Yes, there is DEFINITELY a big variation in temperament among individuals in ANY breed! Even among my 4 Havanese... They re not all alike. even to train!
I know myself I have only been around one or two dogs of various breeds. This makes it a little difficult to know if their traits or common or not. For example, my sister-in-law has a Westie which seems very hyper, however maybe that is not typical! Based upon her Westie I would not want one, but there may be many wonderful Westies out there!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
I know myself I have only been around one or two dogs of various breeds. This makes it a little difficult to know if their traits or common or not. For example, my sister-in-law has a Westie which seems very hyper, however maybe that is not typical! Based upon her Westie I would not want one, but there may be many wonderful Westies out there!

You know what's REALLY scary... I just had a comparison video come up in my YouTube feed on Havanese vs Maltese. TELL me that is a coincidence! LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts