Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t remember how old Toffee was when he first did this, but I can remember what the music was. It was to the theme tune of Eastenders. For non-Uk folk this is a BBC Soap drama with a regular four nights a week slot. It has a very distinctive theme tune at the intro. Hubby is a fan ( not me…) and in our home, the other fan is Toffee. As soon as the music starts, he lifts his chin and gently howls along to it! The first time I heard it, I went running to the room, I thought he was in pain 😂. Now he’s added bagpipes and a little toy guitar with a keyboard that my youngest granddaughter plays with when she is here. As of today, it also seems he can match the volume of his ‘howl’ to the volume of the music!! Today I was working at my computer and listening to some background music when Toff ( who appeared flat out asleep on the sofa bed) quietly ‘howled’ to the music.
Anyone else experienced this with their Hav? I’d love to hear your story!
I might try and video it, but then I’d need to test my IT skills at loading on here 😳

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Oh, PLEASE video it!!! Ducky is my only “howler”, and is so silly and high pitched it is absolutely ridiculous!. But it is only when there are turkeys outside the back yard fence… never (so far!) to music! 💕

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Oh my, I definitely want to see this! Charlie used to howl back when his separation anxiety was bad, but never to music! Never seen Jo do it, but she’s very talkative— lots of little grumbles if she’s not getting what she wants!
Kodi and Pixel are BIG grumblers. Panda does it sometimes. Ducky almost never does. It’s funny how they are all so different!

Reactions: LeleRF and LWalks

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Oh my, I definitely want to see this! Charlie used to howl back when his separation anxiety was bad, but never to music! Never seen Jo do it, but she’s very talkative— lots of little grumbles if she’s not getting what she wants!
Kodi and Pixel are BIG grumblers. Panda does it sometimes. Ducky almost never does. It’s funny how they are all so different!
Perry is a huge! grumbler/ growler with lots of different sounds... often people think he's actually growling but it's just his grumbles. He doesn't "howl" so much as aroo-roo-aroo when I'm not moving fast enough and he wants something.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Sundance has a very expressive, musical sounding cry-howl but I’ve rarely heard it because only does it when I’m not home. My kids have tried to record it multiple times. He occasionally gives a short howl after he hears a dog on TV but it doesn’t have the same musicality, lol. He “talks” a lot more than he barks. He barks the most when he hears it on tv, but not to music like Toffee. Sometimes I won’t notice it because it’s faint in the background, like in a farm or neighborhood scene that has nothing to do with dogs, but then Sundance will start barking and run to the window. He also recognizes doorbells on tv, which is often surprising to me because there are so many different doorbell sounds now, even on tv, and I don’t know how he understands they mean the same thing.

Does toffee recognize other music?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can’t remember how old Toffee was when he first did this, but I can remember what the music was. It was to the theme tune of Eastenders. For non-Uk folk this is a BBC Soap drama with a regular four nights a week slot. It has a very distinctive theme tune at the intro. Hubby is a fan ( not me…) and in our home, the other fan is Toffee. As soon as the music starts, he lifts his chin and gently howls along to it! The first time I heard it, I went running to the room, I thought he was in pain 😂. Now he’s added bagpipes and a little toy guitar with a keyboard that my youngest granddaughter plays with when she is here. As of today, it also seems he can match the volume of his ‘howl’ to the volume of the music!! Today I was working at my computer and listening to some background music when Toff ( who appeared flat out asleep on the sofa bed) quietly ‘howled’ to the music.
Anyone else experienced this with their Hav? I’d love to hear your story!
I might try and video it, but then I’d need to test my IT skills at loading on here 😳
Everyone told me that when I left the house, Dusty would howl. I never heard it for 11 years and then put up a camera in my den. Sure enough, a few minutes after I left he began to howl. He also did it when he stayed for a short time with a friend. He only did It when a woman leaves, not men.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh, PLEASE video it!!! Ducky is my only “howler”, and is so silly and high pitched it is absolutely ridiculous!. But it is only when there are turkeys outside the back yard fence… never (so far!) to music! 💕
I love this thread! That is so funny about Ducky with the turkeys! Chase howled (I called it yodeling) when we tried to leave him alone especially at night the first few times. When we leave the house he will still bark a little and throw in a few howls for good measure but then he settles down. It’s just that with my mom living with us there’s almost always someone home. 🤷‍♀️

Similar to Kodi, Pixel and Perry, Chase will do some grumbling or vocalizing when we aren’t doing what he’d like us to do, such as having a conversation when clearly he is expecting us to be attending to him in some way, usually treat-related!

I’d love to see videos of any singing, howling or ‘yodeling’ performances!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s been a busy few weeks with the Autumn term starting in schools, so aplogies for no Toffee ‘singing’ videos yet! He’s added bagpipe music to his repertoir 🙄 and I managed to catch him video on my iPhone this afternoon. Would anyone be willing to give me an ‘idiots guide‘ on the easiest way to load a video onto a post please, either on this thread or by DM 🙏🏼 Thank you in advance 💐🌻💎

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It’s been a busy few weeks with the Autumn term starting in schools, so aplogies for no Toffee ‘singing’ videos yet! He’s added bagpipe music to his repertoir 🙄 and I managed to catch him video on my iPhone this afternoon. Would anyone be willing to give me an ‘idiots guide‘ on the easiest way to load a video onto a post please, either on this thread or by DM 🙏🏼 Thank you in advance 💐🌻💎
Do you have anything like dropbox or google drive? I have dropbox and I usually just post the dropbox link and I think it works.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Yes, you can't add it directly to the forum. You have to put it on YouTube or one of the services Melissa mentioned, and share the link.

Reactions: Melissa Brill
1 - 20 of 26 Posts