Havanese Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@mudpuppymama thanks for checking in!! He seems to be doing well... he’s not happy with the confinement, but does seem to be acclimating, and he doesn’t seem to be in pain, which is a huge relief. He’s going off the gabapentin (last pain med he’s on) in a couple days, so we’ll see how he does after that, but we’re hopeful that it will heal on it’s own and we’ll be able to manage with retraining and modified activity. I found some scent work games online that I’m going to start playing with after his crate rest in hopes of finding new forms of stimulation.

In a very strange coincidence, his best buddy (my close friend’s dog, who is a small long bodied mixed breed... she definitely has a Havanese look to her), was diagnosed with IVDD a week ago today. It’s a bit less surprising with her— she’s 5 and has had some back issues, and I’m guessing the vet a year ago probably misdiagnosed her with ‘a pulled muscle’. Unfortunately, they’re having a much harder time managing Billie’s pain, so they have a neuro consult in a few weeks for an MRI and possible surgery. It’s trickier for them— they have two young kids and a house full of stairs, so I have been passing along the great info you’ve shared and the Dodgers list resources. So feeling grateful and also wondering how I had never heard of this before, and suddenly two cases.... so I’ve been telling everyone I know with small dogs to really watch the jumping/stairs! Whenever we do get another dog, I will definitely be one of those ‘mean’ parents who doesn’t allow jumping from the beginning.

I’ll let you know how he does after coming off the meds! Fingers crossed!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
Lisa, thanks for the report. Glad Charlie is doing better. As far as IVDD goes, I also had not heard of it. I think it is something every dog owner should be knowledgeable about it so they can take action quickly which can make all the difference in the world. It would be great if vets were more knowledgeable too. Dodgerlist does try to educate vets about IVDD.

IVDD is actually more common than we think. I know several dogs with back issues, different breeds. Your friend’s dog may be part Shitzu...they are very high risk. It does not always get to the point of needing surgery but definitely can. Dogs with longer backs are more at risk.

As far as being a mean “non jumping” mom, reducing the risk of IVDD is not being mean. Alot of behaviors are just habits. I will do anything to prevent my dog from potential pain and suffering. Would you let your two year old repeatedly jump off a sofa or bed? No difference in my mind. My dogs have not jumped off furniture in six years and are both very happy.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Lisa, thanks for the report. Glad Charlie is doing better. As far as IVDD goes, I also had not heard of it. I think it is something every dog owner should be knowledgeable about it so they can take action quickly which can make all the difference in the world. It would be great if vets were more knowledgeable too. Dodgerlist does try to educate vets about IVDD.

IVDD is actually more common than we think. I know several dogs with back issues, different breeds. Your friend’s dog may be part Shitzu...they are very high risk. It does not always get to the point of needing surgery but definitely can. Dogs with longer backs are more at risk.

As far as being a mean “non jumping” mom, reducing the risk of IVDD is not being mean. Alot of behaviors are just habits. I will do anything to prevent my dog from potential pain and suffering. Would you let your two year old repeatedly jump off a sofa or bed? No difference in my mind. My dogs have not jumped off furniture in six years and are both very happy.

Hang in there!
10000% agree about it not being actually “mean.” Luckily, I’ve always been a big believer in obedience training and recognize that it’s so critical to a healthy, happy dog that people love being around (Charlie is welcome everywhere, including my work, in large part because he doesn’t beg, steal food, jump, lick excessively...) So it’s just changing the paradigm for him, and I will never let another dog I have jump on anything. And am telling everyone I know about the risks of this!

My friends are out of town for a week at a family wedding, so we actually have little Billie starting tonight as well! Two little dogs on crate rest!! But I suppose misery loves company, so hoping they’ll both appreciate the company! My friends were worried about us having both, and looked at a dog sitter. But we’re still both working from home, and I feel more comfortable with it because I know that if she suddenly got worse, we’d be well positioned to be sure she gets the care she needs right away.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
10000% agree about it not being actually “mean.” Luckily, I’ve always been a big believer in obedience training and recognize that it’s so critical to a healthy, happy dog that people love being around (Charlie is welcome everywhere, including my work, in large part because he doesn’t beg, steal food, jump, lick excessively...) So it’s just changing the paradigm for him, and I will never let another dog I have jump on anything. And am telling everyone I know about the risks of this!

My friends are out of town for a week at a family wedding, so we actually have little Billie starting tonight as well! Two little dogs on crate rest!! But I suppose misery loves company, so hoping they’ll both appreciate the company! My friends were worried about us having both, and looked at a dog sitter. But we’re still both working from home, and I feel more comfortable with it because I know that if she suddenly got worse, we’d be well positioned to be sure she gets the care she needs right away.
Oh wow so glad you are able to care for your friend’s dog. One fear having a dog with an issue is finding someone with the knowledge necessary to take care of it. Billie is in great hands! Good for you for educating folks about IVDD too!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts