Havanese Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Finley loves to wrestle with our 45 pound Aussie mix, Wallace. Most of the time, Finn will initiate play, and often, but not always, she's on her back. We are sometimes reminded of a cheetah eating a gazelle on the Serengeti! (But he doesn't pin her down; she's always able to get up.) She also loves for him to chase her; if he stops, she'll run up to him and get his attention. Occasionally there's a very small yip, but he'll stop play immediately and walk away, and she will come after him again, as if she's saying, "no, we're good, I'm fine. Let's play!"

But I agree that play with a bigger dog needs to be monitored and you need to watch for signals from both dogs.

When Tessie, our lab, and Wallace play, they are rougher with each other. Finley does not get in the mix for that, but barks from the sidelines, as if she's the referee.
It sounds like Wallace is very good at reading exactly what Finley needs. That’s great! There ARE bigger dogs like that. You just have to be SO careful about it, because many are not!

Reactions: madra and MMoore

·
Marion
56 Posts
It sounds like Wallace is very good at reading exactly what Finley needs. That’s great! There ARE bigger dogs like that. You just have to be SO careful about it, because many are not!
Absolutely! We were just so happy he finally started playing with her. She really wanted him to, but apparently he had a bout of middle child syndrome for the first few months and ignored her, aside from the occasional, brief sniff. Then one day, he must have realized that she was kind of cool! Tess, the lab, who's about 8, got along with her right away, but they don't really play so much as nap together and clean each other's teeth (yuck!). But when they do play, Tessie is extremely gentle.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Sundance loves to play with big dogs, especially large breed puppies since their energy level seems to match. To me it’s always a risk, so I try to evaluate each situation individually, and trust Sundance’s judgement. Sometimes depending on where we are it’s easier to just leave. But most of the time the dogs Sundance is wary of are small dogs. There are a couple of mean yorkies in our neighborhood (they are the most popular small breed here as far as I can tell, concrete statistics might disagree). I think it likely comes from their experiences with large breed dogs and the lasting damage it can do. My kids are teenagers and still do not introduce him to new dogs or let him play with unfamiliar dogs when they take him out in our neighborhood.

It’s extra work! It’s easy to get distracted talking to another dog parent and they really have to be watched directly. Sundance truly loves playing with other dogs though, so it’s worth it to me. A lot of dogs are not missing out or there are other reasons why it’s not worth the stress (or risk).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts