Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, after months of planning we finally have little Archer home with us. He is a doll. He settled in his crate quickly and voluntarily goes in it (in fact he just went in again!) He knows how to use the rascal dog with the grate (took the grass off when he started tearing at it... that stuff seems to come loose quickly), ate his dinner like a champ, and is following us around. No accidents so far (meaning, I haven't screwed up that part yet. ;)
And he is just a sweet-heart. His personality does seem different today than when we first met him at age 7 weeks. (He is 8.5 wks now).

He doesn't seem as shy and seems to like us. I did take a little walk around while we were on the ferry, with him in my jacket, and he was shaking a little bit, but there is a lot of rumbling noise, and the ocean to see, and a lot of scary things. He heard his first siren soon after he got home. He stopped what he was doing and kind of twitched his ears but didn't seem overly alarmed.

He also noticed my pet birds and my fish and seems interested to observe them but is not trying to get through the pen at them or anything.

So far I think he is a total sweetheart and I think we lucked out temperament wise after having to figure out all that stuff (and thank you very much to those forum members who helped encourage us!)

I didn't dare post something without ample pictures so here you go! I am sure there will be more to come. :)

Attachments

·
Evelyn
4,652 Posts
awwww....such a cute little thing! Yes, you do know we love seeing pictures on here! Sounds like Archer is settling in nicely and you are in for a fun time with puppyhood! Enjoy him!

·
Registered
642 Posts
What a little cutie! I love his coloring. Sounds like things are going very well for you. Please keep us all updated on Archer's antics!

·
2,550 Posts
What a cutie! Love the coloring he has right now and love the name, Archer. Congrats and enjoy. He looks so sweet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Archie and I say hi and welcome to you and Archer! Love the name, and he is adorable - enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Congrats on such a sweet puppy. Archer is so ADORABLE. Looks like he's settling in nicely and is a wonderful addition to your family. :)

-Jeanne-

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Awwww, he is too cute for words! Congratulations!!! :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So things are going well so far... 4 days in and we've had 5 potty accidents, pretty much our fault, and we're starting to learn, and so is he. Last night he slept from 11-7 in his crate! And he is learning the clicker, too. He is highly food-motivated so that is awesome. He's had visitors every day so far and he's just loved everyone. He seems to be mostly okay in his ex-pen- sometimes he will whine but usually he will eventually settle down and play with his toys or nap. He likes his little crate and seems to sleep either in there or in his donut bed. He likes both equally it seems.

I haven't heard him bark yet- he seems to be more of a whiner (and such expressive whining! Wow!) However my boyfriend reports that he was pretty freaked by the vacuum cleaner and barked at it and whined. So we will have to work on de-sensitizing him to that. He is also really unsure of the coffee grinder. The other things I have been doing is dropping baking pans and stuff and inviting him to come check them out. Also the dishwasher door, dishes rattling, etc. He seems afraid/unsure of these loud noise type of things, backing away and peeking from a distant spot, then cautiously approaching again when I encourage him. So my strategy so far has been to sometimes feed him his meals (which he's eating great) in different ways, like bit by bit out of the scary baking pan, or while I've got the boyfriend working the coffee grinder. Sometimes he will still retreat behind me for comfort or sit in my lap. I try not to soothe him much but just matter of factly keep playing with the object and offering food. I try to keep a happy voice and act like the baking pan is soooo much fun. It's hard to not just want him to be happy and stop whatever it is that is scaring him but I know I have to push him a little bit. Not so much that he's really just shut down, but enough that he's pushing his own limits a little and getting some courage because nothing bad will actually happen. Can anyone comment on other techniques that worked for them dealing with this type of stuff? Or if I should just keep going with what I am doing? I mentioned it to the breeder who apparently has a central vac... so I guess that is why he hasn't heard a loud noise like that.

However, so far the city noise seems to mostly be fine with him. He's heard sirens, motorcycles, etc so far, and he does stop a minute and perk his ears up curiously, but it doesn't seem to bother him. I haven't taken him out on the street yet, just on my patio to smell and listen. The street is pretty dirty and I want him collar trained for safety even if I am just going to walk him around in my arms. I might take him for little strolls in his crate down to street level though so he hears the intensity of the noises he will have to get used to on his future daily walks.

I'm working on the collar now, clicker training him to be ok with it touching his neck. I somewhat foolishly just snapped it on him before and he just kept trying to scratch it off. So I saw some nice youtube videos from kikopup on using the clicker to make collars/harnesses fun instead of just tolerable.

He follows us around the house and loves to run after us and do laps. He loves all the different types of toys but doesn't seem to care so far for chewing kibble out of the kong as Ian Dunbar recommends. So I have another treat dispensing toy that I can stick his lunch in and let him paw it around to keep him occupied for a little while.

I just weighed him and he is 3 lbs 9 ounces at 9 weeks of age. He is eating between 1/4 c and 1/3 c of kibble per day (I'm transitioning him from Eukanuba small breed puppy to Acana small breed puppy) plus a few treats. I think he would eat more but that's the amount the breeder recommended...

I downloaded Dr. Sophia Yin's puppy socialization checklist and have been trying to do the things on there. It's a lot but I'm trying to be creative with what we have in the house.

Oh the other question I have is: He has learned to hop over the 6 " bottom of the ex-pen to go in and out when I ask him to. He seems to enjoy it, and I want him to learn that he has the freedom to go in and out of there since that's where the indoor potty (rascal dog) is. I just want to make sure that's not too much for his little body to do at this point? I could set up some little steps or something but he does the hop reasonably well...

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Sounds like he's doing great! And I think you are handling his fears nicely. Keep exposing him to things without overwhelming him... And food is always good. :)

He's absolutely adorable!

·
Bessie & Max's Parents
693 Posts
We fed Max and Bessie a 1/4 cup of kibble 3 x day until they were one.
He is so cute. Have fun!!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Kodi ate 1/4 cup 3 times a day as a little puppy too. (though he occasionally chose not to eat a meal. At about 5 months, he started regularly skipping one meal or another each day. I panicked that he wasn't getting enough to eat, and called his breeder. She said, "He's probably trying to tell you he has outgrown his 3rd meal. Feed him twice a day and see how he does." :doh: Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your baby is do adorable. I love the picture with him in your jacket! It's a good thing our babies stay small because that sure wouldn't work with a bigger dog. Ha!ha! ��

1 - 20 of 25 Posts