Votes: 8 53.3%
  • See comments

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who had baby teeth pulled? Age? Outcome?

Who let the adult teeth come in along with the baby teeth? Age? Outcome?

Dexter's adult teeth are coming in and baby teeth are still present, do the teeth have to be pulled? Has anyone let nature take it's course and let the adult teeth fall out naturally?

Please advise me....opinions count!

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I think you mean "anyone let nature take it's course and let baby teeth fall out naturally". :)

I have dogs from two different family lines. One family always loses all their baby teeth on their own. No help needed. The other family seems to retain baby canines even with the adult canines in. I recommend that the adoptive families of those puppies get the canines pulled during the spay/neuter and schedule them to happen at the same time for only one anesthetic procedure.

Edited to add: If you call your breeder, s/he should be able to advise you on family history with teeth retention.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Todd only had one tooth pulled during his neuter. It was a little bit wiggly and so it may have fallen out on it's own eventually but to be safe we just had it popped out while he was under.
He didn't even notice and it healed up perfectly. :)
My Vet said that leaving the baby teeth in too long after the adult teeth emerge can cause the adult teeth to grow in wrong and cause problems later.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Some dogs needs help to get their baby teeth out, they sit hard as a rock and no matter how long you wait for mother nature to come in...they stay where they are.

I never let my dogs have "dubbel" teeth for more than a week, but I am very careful about the bite since I show my dogs.

·
Karen
3,067 Posts
Dugan has a few doubles right now. They didn't pull them at his neuter and they have not come out on their own. We were going to have them pulled, but since Dugan's bloodwork showed a high ALT number and his Bile Acid was high after eating, we want to wait to put him under again.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did ask my breeder a month ago about the adult teeth coming in...because they were not coming in.

Neutered last week at 6 months and like over night in the last week, adult teeth growing in like crazy!

I need to ask her about whether she had baby teeth pulled from the pups. Thanks for advising on this one.

·
Lotus, Mochi's mom
153 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Are Dexter's baby teeth wiggly? A lot of Mochi's teeth fell out on its own but there are some where the adult teeth are coming in behind the baby teeth. Not sure if I should just leave it because I can feel it wiggle so it may fall out eventually. It is making her bottom row a bit crooked though.

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I have never had to had baby teeth pulled on any of my dogs, or any of my puppies now that I think about it-
When I see the adult teeth growing in along side the baby teeth, thats when I up the bone chewing/flossies/bully sticks/tug-of-war games. I have even resorted to using my fingernail to get between the adult and baby tooth and making them looser. It has worked for me! :brushteeth:

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I would also ask your breeder as Havs are different. I had Dash at a playdate with a few Hav breeders who made me go into panic mode by saying I could ruin his bite. I called Kathy totally paniced. After being a freak (my maltese had to have 6 teeth pulled as a baby!) the solution was to buy Dasher a few of the braided bully sticks and within a week they were all out. But he was only about 5 months when this all happened. But neither him nor Dora had to have any pulled.

·
Sharlene
3,098 Posts
Good question Linda. I do believe Evye lost all her baby teeth but will soon find out when she is spayed in a couple of weeks. To my inexperienced eyes, I do not see any baby teeth (double teeth) remaining. Bentley may be a different story.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I set up the appt. for Buddy's neutering, the vet's office said they would check the baby teeth to see if any needed removing at that time. I had been noticing loose teeth and then baby teeth in the rug after he used his playtoys--by the time of the appointment there was one baby tooth still in, but it actually came out or was pushed out by the new teeth, so he didn't need any pulled out. So I would say it seems to happen naturally, and the vet may or may not have to help. They all came out within a fairly quick time span. He's got very nice teeth now, and they sure make me smart when he gets frisky every once in a while and wants to chew on my toes!

Rose

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I totally forgot to tell the Vet to check Dexter teeth last week....but, then again, I did not see any permanent teeth coming in. It seems like a lot of teeth came in right after then neuter last week.

Dexter chews on lots of toys, so I was hoping the teeth would fall out.

I asked the breeder and she said she usually has the baby teeth removed from her dogs.

I just do not want to wait to long to have the teeth removed.

·
Mom of Brutus and Roxie
2,152 Posts
Roxie was not spayed until she was until she was almost 9 months old. She had a baby tooth a long side the adult tooth up until 1 week prior to her being spayed. We had made plans to have it pulled during her spay, but it fell out on its own during a chew session.

Always have your vet look for retained baby teeth when your pet is being neutered/spayed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.