Havanese Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...

Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to give everyone an update, we are all still living at my grandmas with Mossimo in the process of trying to relocate but hanging in there! Special thanks to an awesome support system here :)

Mossimo has been pretty good for the most part about understanding when we give him his "special treat" that we are leaving and has been quiet after I close the door and leave. These past few days he wants nothing to do with his special treats, Ive left hidden cookies in his bed a chewy stick. He is totally not interested he just wants to BARK!!!... and Bark and Bark and Bark my grandpa said it went on for about 15-20 minutes yesterday.

Can anyone offer some advice? I was thinking maybe a super awesome occupier toy? Im fresh out of ideas, he doesnt like Kong chewies or stuffed or peanut butter. He has a ton of toys in there and chewies but he doesnt seem to be interested
:frusty:

· Beau's Mom
758 Posts
Hey, Laurie! Glad to hear from you again! I don't have a problem with Beau barking -- he usually just mopes when I leave, I'm told. He doesn't eat or drink and his toys and treats go untouched. And so, just a few ideas (which could be of no use at all, I guess, but may be worth trying:

1. Can you leave a radio or TV on (low volume)?
  2. If your grandparents are home, can they show him a little love from time to time?
  3. Can you NOT make a fuss about leaving him, just walk him and leave when he's occupied with something (anything) else?
  4. Instead of leaving him with a treat, maybe you could come home with a treat?
  5. Have you tried doggy day care a couple times a week? If nothing else, it may wear him out (and make him appreciate his alone days? Or, it may make him want to go every day!! :whistle:

Hopefully, someone here will chime in with more experience. Glad to hear things are going well for you otherwise!

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love you Lorraine! Our Fairy God mother!...
- we leave the TV on.. .cartoon network is his fav :)
- I dont make too much of a fuss, I just lead him into his pen and shut the gate and say see you later -
- My grandparents are great about helping with him.. they take him out at about 10/11 ish.. we leave at 7:30 ish.. so its just that initial time when he goes back into his ex-pen
- RE: Doggy Day Care.. I thought about it.. not sure we can financially commitment to that at the moment but definately something to think about.

· Registered
525 Posts
- RE: Doggy Day Care.. I thought about it.. not sure we can financially commitment to that at the moment but definately something to think about.
I don't know if it will help or if even it applies to the doggy day cares in your area, but, the one I take Momo and Ume to on occasion have a pre-pay program where if you buy 30 days or 30 half days (5 hours), it will be cheaper than if you buy one at a time. It's a big investment at first, but, I think it comes out to about $14.50 a day if you buy 30 days. It's a little over $9 a day for 30 half days.

· Registered
9,654 Posts
One of my best treats to keep them really busy is a double cow hoove stuffed with something. They are huge and ugly looking, but my guys would die for them!! I only give them every so often and then they go back into the freezer till the next time. Poor guy is so unsettled that I wonder if he wonders if you are coming back.
I am sure that some here will have better ideas...

· Registered
411 Posts
Some suggestions that probably won't help...
I think you mentioned he likes Cartoon Network. Have you tried showing him some tv with dogs? I love Too Cute on Animal Planet. I've got some episodes DVR'd that I put on sometimes for Bama, other times for me. Sometimes it seems like she is watching it.

Another idea, what about making a recording of your voice to play while he is gone?

Have you tried the thunder shirts?

What about one of those cuddle pals with a heartbeat sound?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.