Havanese Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 16 week pup to be groomed for the very first time. The poor thing the woman shaved between his eyes so he looks very funny but he will not stop shaking and scratching his ears. I asked her if she got water in his ears and she says it’s just from where she plucked and trim his ear hairs. I called the vet and they basically said there wasn’t much they could do. If it was water they could give me some drying agent for the ears. I am not sure what to do. He doesn’t seem to be in pain per se but it is obviously bothering him greatly. I have taken a small piece of paper towel and using my finger tried to wipe the inside to see if there is water and nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I know the fur will grow back between his eyes I am just concerned with his ears currently.

Attachments

· Owned by a Havallon
3,774 Posts
Ear plucking can definitely cause a problem. Most dogs do not need their ears plucked but unfortunately many groomers do this regardless. If lots of head shaking is going on I would be concerned about a hematoma developing. I am not sure what can help at this point. Perhaps someone else might know. I would definitely avoid ear plucking in the future. You may have to remind the groomer of this each time you go in and also about eye trimming. Otherwise, you may wind up in the same boat again.

· Owned by a Havallon
3,774 Posts
Please look at this thread,,,

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ear plucking can definitely cause a problem. Most dogs do not need their ears plucked but unfortunately many groomers do this regardless. If lots of head shaking is going on I would be concerned about a hematoma developing. I am not sure what can help at this point. Perhaps someone else might know. I would definitely avoid ear plucking in the future. You may have to remind the groomer of this each time you go in and also about eye trimming. Otherwise, you may wind up in the same boat again.
Probably not going back to that particular groomer again but will also tell future groomers not to pluck.

· Owned by a Havallon
3,774 Posts
He's very cute. I groom my own pup. It isn't hard and if you start when they are young, it will become a normal routine for them. Its also a great bonding time.
Deciding to groom my own dogs was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Less stress for the dogs and me and I have saved thousands of dollars on grooming two dogs myself for 14 years.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't Forbid the groomer from plucking but to ask them to let you know if it's needed and then you can discuss (and making it clear you don't want it to be an automatic thing.) Some dogs have very hairy ears and it can get very gunky and even get matted (Perry's did once - since then I make sure I'm combing the inside as well when I groom him myself and do sometimes have to pluck some of them myself if it's been a while in between professional grooming) others have very thin/ light hair so no problems ever.

Perry's groomer doesn't automatically pluck but will check them and if needed she will thin them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts