Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you heard of a training group called Bark Busters? They are nationwide-- they have private trainers in many areas-- They work on the same principles of Cesar- training you to be the leader instead of food treats as reward. We are having barking and anxiety issues with Jassy and want to nip it before he teaches Cash. Anyone heard of them?

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
No, but is sounds really interesting. I am having some issues with that too. Oreo is just shy and then when he sees other dogs he barks at them just to make himself look bigger and tough. As soon as the dog approaches, he cowers and runs to the end of the leash- he jerks himself and then runs in another directiion. :( I don't want him to be mr. social butterfly, but not aggressive in any way, or territorial. Obviously, I am not in charge and I am hoping to help him somehow. I tried the treat thing and he just growls and barks anyways, so I don't offer treats anymore because it just seems that I am not getting his attention and I don't want to reward his behaviour. :(

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I was just looking at their Canadian Web site, and for a Franchise Fee of $31,000, Training Fee of $13,000, Plus additional expenses of $7,000- $12,000, for start up costs. You can train to be a Trainer:eek: . No experience necessary. Sounds like they maybe expensive.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is pretty pricey. 775 for both dogs. they spend 3 hours with you initially - but they say they offer a life time guarentee for the life of your dogs- should another problem come up they will come back and work with you. Or if you need another session. I bet it's less than cesar. ha ha. (any one in California ever check out Cesar's prices)

The trainer in our area has 10 years of various dog training experience and has been using this method/franchise owner for 3 years. A vet tech at my vets used her and said she was great.

Oreo's mom check out their site. barkbusters.com. Do try something though while he is still a puppy--- Jassy did this as a puppy and we tried to stop him with treats, chuhh's, tugs, and couldn;t and it has gotten worse- and now my sweet little jassy looks like a spastic dog to passers by- when he's not.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Lily is the same way and we hired a trainer last month to come to the house. She does believe in the treat method and we are seeing some good results in Lily. first of all when you want to train, dont feed them their meal, or very little of their meal. Then get their favorite treat. The "shovel" food while the doorbell rings, or someone comes over, or another dog is there. What you want to do is just get them comfortable with the situation - and with Lily, food is her comfort (just like her mommy:) ). If she barks, she gets nothing. Once she is quiet for 3 full seconds then she gets treated. We are down to her barking for maybe 20 seconds at the doorbell now, and now she looks to me. When outside, if I see someone coming down the road, I call her to me first, have her sit & keep her attention on me. The people walk right down the road, and she is busy with me & realizes taht they are not a threat. It is a lot of constant training - but if I can have 50 people at my house (last week for a wedding) and get Lily to bark mayby the first 5 minutes of the arrival of all these people - then it is working!! Dont mean to ramble but hope it helps! (It also works better when she is with her "pack" If she is barking & Logan is not & is getting treated, she stops a LOT quicker!!
Laurie

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Gosh, how I wish I could stop Ricky's barking!!!! :eek: It's driving us all nuts and the kids just roll their eyes whenever Ricky's outside barking his head off and they groan 'not again!' . He barks at leaves falling, at birds flying overhead and heaven forbid the neighbors are out in their yard (which is right up close to ours) or the other dogs around are barking!

I have been saying 'quiet' as soon as he quiets down and 'ssshh. good boy' and will treat once he's quiet for a few seconds. Thing is, I need to stop him from barking to begin with because some of his bark 'sessions' last way too long and it's a major annoyance.

Sammy growls at noises and people coming into the house that he doesn't know. He'll only bark when someone comes in, not at all the other things Ricky barks at. Ricky barks at Sammy because he wants to play - now! He barks at me if I'm not paying attention to him when he really wants my attention. He almost sounds like a bully! :eek: , but he's also so patient and can sit with his toy at my feet forever, just waiting for me to notice so we can play fetch. Go figure!

I am considering having someone come in, but I want it to be a positive experience, not something punishment-based. I've never heard of Bark Busters, Missy, but they do sound pricey.

I was at the groomer's today and her 6 mth. old beagle had a citronella collar on. This was his first day so she's not sure how well it will work. He barks to play and it wasn't long that I was there that we smelled the citronella so he obviously had tried to bark. Just as I was leaving, the beagle REALLY wanted to play with my two, so he barked and cooed and growled playfully.... well, it smelled divine I can tell ya!! LOL Not sure it's working... ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I found this device called K9 Kalmer - just tried it yesterday . It is supposed to play music that only dogs can hear and it is supposed to calm their anxiety .
I know it sounds weird I found it on the planet urine website .
Well it does seem to have a effect . Cosmo would always bark when I was preparing his meal - today he just waited for it . Mind you they are still hopping like the Easter bunny trying to make me hurry . I figure one thing at a time ..
Also Cosmo seems to be less anxious and calmer - not all the time as it is only in the ktchen . He does not bark as much when I take him on walks since his buddy arrived . Then Ahnold started to bark but they both are calming down and doing better now . I just say Ungh Ungh
I know how you feel about the barking . I was just getting ready to call a behaviour consultant but I am going to give the machine a few more days and se how it goes ..

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
that sounds very interesting :rolleyes: Something I might try at some point. About the jumping at mealtime, my guys all bounced like tigger & barked while I was preping their food. We started making them sit & stay for up to 10 seconds before I put their food down for them. Ever since they got the hang of that, they sit nicely and watch me make the food too - its worth a try. They KNOW that if they dont sit quietly , they dont get their meal - it works!
Laurie

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I just looked at the product & it seems very interesting. Please keep us up to date on how well it works. A little expensive for me and to try to "sell" to the hubby if we are not sure it works. I appreciate your being the guinea pig:)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Laurie, I have done something very similar to Oreo. Since the beginning, I have always made Oreo wait at a distance, in the kitchen as I prepped his meals and also when I put it down. He learned he was only allowed near the bowls when I called him. Now, that he does this automatically, I now am making sure he is totally "calm" because I started to notice how extremely excited he was. It only took me a couple of days, but I try to make sure he is nice and mellow and then ..... Voila, he gets to enjoy his meals ;)

As for barking, he only tries to bark at other dogs when we are out on a walk. His eyes and head are just darting everywhere and it takes him so long just to chill out. In this respect I have a lot of work to do...... sigh..

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
No problem, ladies. Like I said, I have a bark-crazy Hav too and I really should have been looking into this way before now. :rolleyes:

I'm glad Laurie brought it up. :)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No trips to New England for that Tom? :) yes it is a bit much

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
wow, this is amazing we're all going through this at the same time. We started having a very similar problem a few weeks ago and attributed it to the discouraging feelings in our house and the depressed attitudes that my husband and I have been experiencing since the first of the year. Last week we started looking for a trainer that we felt comfortable with and had a similar philosophy that we have. We've found a woman that we feel that way about and she will be coming over in 2 weeks.

She has a Ph.D (for whatever that's worth with the dogs :) and will charge 150$ for the first session at the house with both dogs, apx. 2 hours. She has already sent a couple brochures in an email and we will email her back with some things that we would like to see the dogs DO, trying to not concentrate solely on what we DON'T want them to do.
One of the issues we spoke about on the phone was the barking that you addressed, especially standing at the door watching dogs and people on the sidewalk. One thing she mentioned right away was that we needed to decide what we wanted them to do instead of barking, so that we can give them a cue to DO something, not to just stop barking.

We'll see what happens, all I know is that it was just starting to make me crazy and unhappy and I want to get some professional advice.

As far as Cesar's prices....last I knew he charged $350/ session which I thought was pretty darn resonable for the results he seems to achive. Of course now that he's so popular his prices have probably gone up :rolleyes: Also, I heard earlier this year he was already booked for the rest of the year! I would still love to go on his cruise if it happens.
Even if dogs aren't allowed.

Has anyone ever used, or heard of the "Bark Free Pro"? I just saw it today in a Gaiam Living/Harmony cataloge. It works with an ultrasonic sound frequency that's activated by barking. It's $59. Any thoughts?

Thanks and I'd love to hear how everyone's luck with dealing with this goes.

Beverly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow- this thread is worrying me a bit as a potential Hav mom. Is frequent barking a common trait? I know any dog breed can have its barky individuals but I was thinking that one the whole the Havanese are kinda quiet, no?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts