Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you pack leaders please weigh in: Jasper (14 months) has become quite a barker since Cash has arrived. He always alerted up to visitors but then stopped-- Lately it has become more anxious and constant. Barking at people who walk by the house on the street, squirrels, leaves, if some one comes to the door, or drops off a package it sounds really urgent. Sometimes I can't even figure out what provokes it. I believe in some way he is feeling protective of little Cash. I Have tried Quiet, and No. I have tried thanking him and then quiet. I am not really getting his attention. I have tried shaking coins in a tin and that stops him, but then he continues.

Tom, you always have some clear advice- any tips?

Thanks,

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Thanks for asking this question, I'm having the same problem with Cooper. Often in the same situations that you mentioned. Today I was visiting with a neighbor on the sidewalk who was walking a lab. I also had Cooper on a leash. The dogs had never met. The dogs appeared fine, then after a few minutes, out of the blue, Cooper just let out this insanely loud anxious barking fit. Scared us all half to death. He's also been really bad when I've gone to pick him up at the groomer.
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Beverly:eek:

·
Riley & Monte's mom
5,579 Posts
Oh my, I am glad this question has come up, something I did not think of. It would be great to get some advise before my # 2 comes home.

Missy, where are you located in MA if you dont mind me asking.

Leeann

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I figured I'd chime in and say this is just peeking its tiny little head in Oreo. In our puppy class the instructor told me to distract and offer treats, but sometimes I am wondering if that will encourage the behaviour? Obviously, Oreo is not feeling secure and feels the need to assert himself. How can I help him without making him think I am rewarding his behaviour. I agree that puppies and dogs should have positive experiences and positive reinforcement, but when is it too much? Tom, and all you pack leaders out there PLEASE HELP?! :(

·
Riley & Monte's mom
5,579 Posts
Hi Missy

Wow, I am only about 30-40 min north from you in Lowell. Did you get your babies locally?

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
If it happens in the house, you can use a spray bottle too. I spray them across the room with water and they hate it.

Two increases the barking, because one can make a slight noise and make the other one bark also. I have no idea how to stop it outdoors, Goldie barks and growls at anything bigger than her.

Ill check out Toms link.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Sorry for the short replies. I really didn't have time to write a longer one then. Seriously though, I do recommend watching the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic channel. He has dealt with barking dogs on several episodes but I don't remember which ones. If you don't get the Nat. Geo. channel the show is available on DVD and I think it's well worth it for anyone with a dog.

We don't do things exactly like Cesar does, but pretty close. Don't get hung up on his sound. We don't use it but do all the same sort of posturing. It's just plain and simple dog language. It's the language that dogs understand. They have to be taught in dog language before they can learn the human translation.

A verbal command by itself is worth little until the dog understands what it means. He won't learn it by just hearing it.

It would be such a long explanation on how to do it so I would appreciate anyone else coming on and telling which episode of DW takes care of barking. There was one with a dog who barked at the window.

It really can be easily fixed. You have to get up and do what's necessary though. Don't even try yelling at the dog until you get up and make them back away.

We don't scold the dogs when they bark at something but have taught them what "NO Bark" means. If someone comes up when they bark we say "thank you" to let them know we acknowledge their alert, as that's not a bad time for barking.

Cesar's training is so good because it's instinctual. There's no fixed answer for any problem. After watching don't just sit there. Get up and do what needs to be done.

Most such training just takes place during the first couple of years. The older the Havanese gets the more they understand and the more they understand you. They really are a pleasure to have around, but especially after they are mature.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I had my other dogs, I used "no bark" and it worked. So now I use it on the Havs, and they're starting to get it. I've found that "enough" works, also. And sometimes you have to get up and give them that special little touch that Cesar uses, and that works as well.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Lily barks at everything also, and we just recently hired a trainer to come to the house. It turns out that her problem is fear & lack of self confidence. What the trainer has us doing, and it is slowly working, is have someone ring the doorbell over & over again, and then eventually open the door. While that is happening, Lily will bark, and if she is quite for 3 full seconds, I treat her. Eventually, she could care less about the doorbell. At some point she will become used to the sound & not flip out each time it rings. She sucks the other two in with her, so 3 dogs barking at once is scary to a guest. I find that when Lily stops and is being treated, the others are quiet too. She suggested making the doorbell treat a "good" treat, like turkey dogs and only use that treat at the door - she feels it will make Lily more motivated to be quiet. It seems to be working - slowly - although it is a pain to do this 3 x a day, but if it works, I am willing!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Laurie, you just gave me another sound for puppies to get used to. The doorbell. I guess I should ring it every once in awhile. We don't get too many guest.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Yea, we dont either & I think that is why we ended up with a problem. For 3 years we just let her bark at the door & people, thinking it was "cute" haha, NOT so cute anymore!! Especially when she gets the other two going. I would some of these methods, Logan is only 4+months & he does not bark at the bell at all, I think it is a LOT easier to train them when they are puppies.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi :(
Barking is big issue with me as well . Cosmo was a barker from the day I got him he if he has a problem or concern he barks .. sometimes to alert me sometimes to show displeasure sometimes it is frustration ..
He barks at the doorbell - Ok we can manage that one .. I say thank you and he greets the people and then it stops. We worked on it and it got better ..
He barks because he is hungry and his food is not coming fast enough . I slow down like Tom says but it makes it worse .
He barks at Ahnold when he wants a chew or a toy - now they do not have duplicate toys but they both have the same chews - this is a competition and dominance issue I guess but because of the neuter surgery and crating - it is not resolving as quickly as it may have otherwise .
Cosmo used to bark on walks but now he is much better - he would bark at the yardworkers and other dogs . The problem now is Ahnold - he barks at other dogs and bigger the better . I guess I need to walk him alone for a few times and see what happens . We went to the vet yesterday for a checkup and he picked the biggest dogs to bark at and they were just pussycats ..
Then they bark for each other - if one is seperated from the other - for a time out because of the surgery . Ahnold barks for Cosmo and Cosmo barks back .. They talk to one another like where are you .. come over here and see me . Now we just crate them both at the same time and place and thats it .. They seem fine .
OK Tom what would Cesar do or say . I know his dogs all get along and they are Pitbulls mainly . I am missing something ..
Each dog has their own personality . I am thinking of getting a behaviourist as well . .
I do not stand idely by I want you to know I have not tried the spray bottle but I have tried the can and dropping books with Cosmo and it worked as a distraction and on to other things but it is harder with two . They think I am a monster . I had tried the growling voince - no bark- look at me .. Sometimes it works and sometimes not .
I know school and doing commands is important - Cosmo is better when he has to do his commands and school but we have to teach them to Ahnold and besides sitting is hard for their little bums right now ..

I guess I willl look for the Cesar DVD's as well ..

I never had this problem with Asta - he only barked to guard the property and to alert me of the doorbell . I would say thank you Good Boy and he would stop..
Just like kids everyone is different !
Thanks for bringing it up ..

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
HELP !!!! So much barking!!

:mad: I'm at wits' end and I need some help!! Like Cosmosmom who wrote, above, that there is just too much barking at everything - Ricky's our problem. He barks LOUDLY and SHARPLY and relentlessly!!! :eek:

I started training him 5 or 6 days ago, according to advice from Karen Pryor. Say "quiet", get him quiet and click and treat. Start with 1, 2, 3 seconds of quiet... reward his silence and ask for quiet longer. I'd put my hand in front of his face, like a 'stop sign' and say "Quiet". Then "good boy, sssh.... good boy, quiet", then treat.

It was working, for the most part, not a ton, but I was constantly vigilant, doing all that stuff if he barked more than 2, 3 times. SOME barking is perfectly fine! Ricky loves to go out and it was nice this past week (exc. today with a snowstorm!) so he'd be out on the deck or in the yard a lot! He'd bark too much, I'd run out, stick my hand in his face, etc.... After only a few times of that, as soon as he'd hear the patio door opening (me going out to him), he and Sammy would come running knowing they'd be getting a treat! :rolleyes: The word "quiet" has become, "go to mommy cuz she's going to click and treat us" - they are such smart brats! ;)

Anyway, I've been very tired and stressed. This constant "watching and listening and working on keeping him quiet" is a lot of work. I don't mind if it means he'll no longer be such a barker.........

HOWEVER, and here is the problem..... today, there is a snow storm and you know how they LOVE to play in the snow. In the past hour alone, Ricky has been barking shrilly to go out but as soon as he's out there, he barks like an idiot. When I keep him inside, he barks and barks and barks ...... I'm losing my mind here!!!!! Nothing I say makes him stop unless I stuff his face with treats.. he can't bark and eat at the same time.... obviously NOT a good method! LOL

I have screamed "quiet" in his face from absolute frustration and insanity and I'm trying to ignore him ringing the dang bells to be let out - wasn't I the one who trained him to ring those bells to be LET OUT??!! ARGH! When I do let him out, I say "quiet, Ricky", let him out and off he goes annoying the crap out of me and no doubt out of every single neighbor withing a km. or two of here!!!! :mad:

HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The instructor at puppy class said a spray bottle with vinegar (diluted with water) works. When they bark, just spray it in their face. It doesn't hurt them, they just don't like the smell or taste. She said Binnaca (mouth spray) works also.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Michele, I'd be afraid it would harm him in some way.. maybe get in the eyes. I dunno..... I'm also trying to avoid using 'punishment' based correcting although I'm not sure what else I need to do. We are trying to keep him busy and distracted and it works for a while.... but frankly, I'm TIRED !

I am seriously wondering what that sonar thingy would do.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
A spray bottle with only water will work. In wont take long AT ALL and all you will have to do is pick up the water bottle and they will stop. Make sure you say whatever command you use when you spray them. I sit on the couch and spray them from accross the room. It worked!!!!

Stogie has that loud shrill bark also. When they get on a roll, it drives me bonkers, but they have been so good lately. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts