Havanese Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

Our Barney decided to check out the lake we live next to this morning and although our temps up here in MN have remained warm enough that our lake is not frozen yet...some ice had formed from the side out about 4 feet. He acts like he has never been taught any commands at all and since he is such a fearful and cautious resuce, the rescue volunteer had suggested waiting a bit before I began anything but giving him lots of love...soooooo, he began walking out on the ice, did not pay me any mind at all and as I turned my back on him to get him to follow me back to the house, he fell in! I climbed over the rocks along the edge of the yard, and waded into the VERY COLD lake up to my thighs and grabbed him by the scruff of his neck (he was clawing like crazy to get out of that very cold water and the look of terror was in those gorgeous black eyes)...dried him off and then myself and thanked the good Lord that I was able to reach him quickly...so - leashed it will be till spring when we can either build a fenced play yard for him or reactivate the invisible fencing that we used with our goldens. I am hoping I can give him enough exercise indoors after we get down to our normal cold and snowy temps. Any suggetions?

Marge

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Hi Marge,

That would have been really scarey! I'm glad you both got out okay. Although everything I've seen and read suggests that Havs love water, I doubt that Barney will go back in the lake for now at least. To be safe, I'm sure that I too would keep him on a leash until I felt he wasn't going to take off or jump in the freezing lake. My Hav will jump in water anytime he gets the opportunity and even loves rain and snow.
Have fun!
Beverly

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
WOW! That is scary. You must have been scared and freezing also!
I bet he wont go near that lake! You could get two or three expens and join them together. I know someone else who lives in a lake. They did that outside to create a large play pen where at least they could run around and potty with out a leash.

Otherwise I dont know, a temp chicken wire fence?

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all of you who have sent me such supportive notes...I will keep him safe, give him love and begin the training tomorrow...he is getting his teeth cleaned today at the vets and probably won't feel much like doing anything when he gets home this afternoon.

Our MN weather is to turn cold again later this week, so I will find some interesting and active things to do with him in the house...yesterday, we played hide-n-seek for 15 minutes and I swear he was having fun!

We are choosing to have only one dog to love and care for, so although I would love to have 2 or 3...we'll do our best to keep him busy enough to satisfy his exercise needs!

Marge

1 - 4 of 4 Posts