Havanese Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often can I give my havanese Coco a bath she seems to smell after only a week sometimes ??
I DON'T WANT TO DRY HER OUT

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Leo goes to work with me so he gets 2 baths per week, typically Sunday and Thursday. I use Earthbath puppy shampoo and Earthbath conditioner. I dilute the puppy shampoo about 1:10 and use the conditioner full strength. I dry him with cool and very low heat temperatures on my dryer. His skin and coat are in great shape and he doesn't seem to itch or have any dander. I think it is extremely important to use a high quality, gentle shampoo and conditioner but otherwise you can bath them as often as you need to.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you use a high quality puppy shampoo and conditioner you can bathe her once or even twice a week if needed. If you use a regular cheap dog shampoo only once a month. Some good shampoos that you might find on the shelf of your local pet store would be Espree, Rosie B Good (Isle of Dogs), Tropiclean, Les Poochs, Biogroom, and Earthbath. Tearless puppy shampoo can still sting eyes so always be careful with the eye area, however if you flush too much with water that can also irritate the eyes. I usually rinse carefully with water and then eye saline solution.

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
I bathe Chester once a week using regular tearless puppy shampoo - no conditioner because I don't think he needs it yet - he starts to smell a bit so in baths we put a little more shampoo and rinse better.:bathbaby:

·
Registered
822 Posts
What is the best way to protect their eyes when bathing? I've used both tearless puppy shampoo and Johnson's baby shampoo. Yes? No? What else should I be doing? I usually bathe about every 1-2 weeks. My dog that is....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
For a long time I washed the sisters face with just a wash cloth with a tiny bit of shampoo. And I would rinse with the wash cloth. I now use a lot more water but still not a lot of shampoe.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What else should I be doing? I usually bathe about every 1-2 weeks. My dog that is....[/QUOTE said:
Whew, Rita! Glad you added that last little bit. I was thinking it may not be the dog smelling! LOL!!!:dance:

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
Wait till Chester SMELLS after being in his cast.

·
Skye's Mom
56 Posts
Whew, Rita! Glad you added that last little bit. I was thinking it may not be the dog smelling! LOL!!!:dance:
LOL!! I was thinking the same! I bathe Skye twice a week unless its a really busy week at work, then its once a week. Her coat is snow white so she starts looking dirty after about 4 to 5 days. I am currently using a diluted amount of Perfect Coat Pearl Shampoo and Conditioner to which I add Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender essential oil. I plan to try the Precious Drop Spray soon. I never put the shampoo near her face and just use the wrung out wash cloth on the top of her head, ears and face.

·
Registered
851 Posts
LOL!! I was thinking the same! I bathe Skye twice a week unless its a really busy week at work, then its once a week. Her coat is snow white so she starts looking dirty after about 4 to 5 days. I am currently using a diluted amount of Perfect Coat Pearl Shampoo and Conditioner to which I add Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender essential oil. I plan to try the Precious Drop Spray soon. I never put the shampoo near her face and just use the wrung out wash cloth on the top of her head, ears and face.
Perfect Coat is not a shampoo I would use to bathe a dog twice a week. Just my opinion.

·
Skye's Mom
56 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know the Precious Drop Spray is not shampoo but Perfect Coat is a shampoo. It smells very nice. This is the one I use: Amazon.com: Perfect Coat White Pearl Shampoo & Conditioner for Dogs, 32 Ounce Bo: Pet Su. lies
Even less so for the whitening shampoo as that is a harsh shampoo. Perfect Coat is on the bottom rung as far as quality is concerned. It works nicely for the occasional bath of a short haired dog, as most dog owners either don't bathe their dog or if they do, only a handful of times a year. This is who the product is geared for, for people with smelling dogs like pugs, chihuahuas, labs, pit bulls, etc, and the only way to get them clean is with a strong shampoo. You should cut back to at most twice a month, not eight times a month, with this product, esp on a puppy. Consider switching to a better product that costs only a little more, you don't have to buy expensive shampoo. Biogroom, Tropiclean and Espree are in that category, and you can dilute them too to stretch out the cost. Tropiclean smells amazing. You can buy these off the shelf at many pet stores, and you won't dry out your pup.

·
Skye's Mom
56 Posts
Even less so for the whitening shampoo as that is a harsh shampoo. Perfect Coat is on the bottom rung as far as quality is concerned. It works nicely for the occasional bath of a short haired dog, as most dog owners either don't bathe their dog or if they do, only a handful of times a year. This is who the product is geared for, for people with smelling dogs like pugs, chihuahuas, labs, pit bulls, etc, and the only way to get them clean is with a strong shampoo. You should cut back to at most twice a month, not eight times a month, with this product, esp on a puppy. Consider switching to a better product that costs only a little more, you don't have to buy expensive shampoo. Biogroom, Tropiclean and Espree are in that category, and you can dilute them too to stretch out the cost. Tropiclean smells amazing. You can buy these off the shelf at many pet stores, and you won't dry out your pup.
Thanks for your suggestion. I always dilute the shampoo and would only use about a dime's worth of any product on Skye, diluted with water before applying. She is so tiny. The tropiclean does have a white coat version so I will be purchasing this product today. Thanks again!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts