Havanese Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I think giving puppies frequent baths is at least as much about teaching them to accept bathing and blow drying as it is about keeping them clean. As much as some puppies don't like baths, a Hav really needs to reach a place of resigned acceptance if they don't learn to like baths.
I use a Kool Pup dryer and dry the boys after bathing.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Does everyone use a blow dryer? Is it ok to towel & air dry? Do you comb when wet or dry? I'll be keeping Bowie in a puppy cut...
I don't always blow dry Emmie after I bathe her; occasionally I towel dry her instead of using my Kool Pup Dryer. I only do this when I'm sure she'll dry naturally, so early in the day, either when the weather's warm or when the heater's on indoors.

I always comb Emmie's fur when it is damp or wet, not dry. So if it's not after a bath, I spray on some detangler or water to give it a little spritz.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Well, Mayzie gets very carsick, and she barfed all over her crate. She hates baths so much, and she looks so darn pitiful that I sighed, stripped down, held her, and walked into the shower with her. I didn't even use shampoo for this bath (so it would be safe to apply the Revolution when she was dry), just rinsed all the yucky wetness off of her. We had been applying a tea tree oil ointment for itching, and that came off in a yucky wetness too. I didn't even brush her out (she's missing so much hair that it isn't a big deal) or blow dry her. Just towel dried her and let her run around our bathroom while I went back into the shower and lathered up twice.

I sure hope she doesn't think she's getting personally accompanied into her baths in the future! :D
I sometimes take Emmie into the shower with me too. :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
You poor thing...what you're going through.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far, Mojo hates her baths. She fights for a minute or two, then just stands there and whines. And brushing her can be done only when she is mellowed out. I wrap her snugly in a fluffy towel and cuddle her for a few minutes before I pick up the brush.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Perry's become resigned to his baths. He doesn't like them, but he's stopped trying to escape (though he does still put his front paws on my leg and look at me with the 'poor me' eyes in hopes that I'll take him out! He gets a bath, max once a month.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tux is a condo canine. He, like his predecessor before him, prefers pavement over grass. Grass is to pee and poop on, and then get the heck off. Consequently, he stays pretty clean. Now that his puppy coat has left town, and the mats with it, he is a breeze to maintain. He doesn't like baths, but tolerates it as long as I'm careful about the temperature. He doesn't mind the hair dryer. The attitude with combing and brushing has done a 180 degree turn since the mats are almost non-existent. He seems to really like it now. His face stays white because his food is natural. His paws are supposed to be white, but one trip to the grass and it's another story. A good brushing gets most of the dirt. I keep his ear canals plucked which doesn't bother him. (he gets a treat after each ear). Toenail clipping seems scary mostly because of the sound and feel, but he tolerates that too. It helps if my husband holds him while I clip. For some reason it must feel less threatening. I have a word or phrase for every action I take with his hygiene and let him know in advance what I'm going to do....."Butt-check" is self explanatory. Baths are not necessary but he gets one about once every 6 weeks or so. Brushed, combed, once a day. Plucked and trimmed when necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
For Me.... I hate the bath and grooming MORE than the dog. :crying:

I've decided what I pay the Groomer is a BARGAIN....and I'm considering hiring them to bath her once a week. :wink2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lucky me, Chuy LOVES bath time. Well maybe not so much the actual getting in the sink.... but once he is under the warm water and getting rubbed with shampoo he just settles in for the pampering. Best of all he does love the brushing and especially the blow dryer. He practically does back flips trying to get all his parts in front of the dryer but he will hold his chin up as long as I will stand there and hold the dryer. Pretty cute stuff. Am feeling inspired to give him a bath right now!!

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Chuy (pronounced Chewy) was on our short list when naming Ricky Ricardo. It is a very appropriate name for almost any Havanese. Chuy is a Spanish nickname for men formally named Jesus.

If you are in the mood to give a bath right now, where do you live? Ricky will be over there within minutes. :D

BTW, welcome to our pack here at Havanese Forum, we are a playful bunch!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hahaha. Yes, Chuy is actually Chico but he looks like Chewbacca so I compromised with Chuy. I was having a naming crisis.
We have been combing for the last hour so I decided to do the bath first thing in the morning. There’s a double sink here so send Ricky on over!!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts