Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just posted a video of grooming Ducky for you. I started a different thread, since it isn't specifically about belly grooming! LOL!
Thank you! I really appreciate all the advice. I definitely want to get a proper grooming table set up at home, since I know you are right that it's really the best way to groom him completely.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've tried a lot of different ones, and IMO, none are as good as Ice on Ice.

It's NOT the end of the world, but you can avoid it if you are diligent about the grooming, and a little more insistent on his behavior on the grooming table. Keep in mind that gentle insistence in this area, in the long run, is what is best for him. Cutting him down is FINE if your goal is a pet. It will NOT solve your problem if your goal is to show him. You NEED to teach him to behave for grooming, and that is MUCH better taught while he is young than to try to convince him when he is an adult and has already experienced the discomfort of matting.

It really isn't safe using shears under there. One wrong move and you can slice him. Then he will lick and cause infections... then the dreaded cone... With the peanut trimmer, you can just lightly skate over the surface. I try not to trim right to the skin, which makes them itchy. But most of the little mats under there, I find are actually held a bit away from the skin on little single hairs and it is usually easy to scoop under them and remove them. It might help to have someone else hold his front feet up from behind, so you can get a good view of his underside from the front while you are doing it. I've gotten to the point that I can do it "Braille method". You CAN'T cut him with the clippers. (you can prove this against your own hand)

That works for nails, and maybe even paw pads, though it means you always have to have a second person. It does NOT work for trimming feet. For a dog in coat, the feet have to be trimmed even with the ground... Meaning that the dog needs to be standing still on a level surface as you trim...

That is a good goal, but it is more likely that he will not tolerate a groomer if he is babied too much. He needs to accept that sometimes things will be done to him that he doesn't really want, and he needs to accept it anyway. You should expect that a groomer always handle him GENTLY, but a groomer should not have to baby him or put up with nonsense. ;)

I would REALLY stop the lap grooming. For two reasons. First, it will eventually make your lap an aversive place. Second, and MOST important, it will be absolutely impossible to groom him completely there once his coat really comes in, and ESPECIALLY while he is blowing coat. While you are trying to groom some parts, the parts in contact with your lap are going to rub other mats into him.
I do want to clarify, now that Enzo is older and more tolerant of the tools, I do not let him leave without finishing his groom anymore. i let him do his own pace at first when introducing his brushes to him when he was tiny, but he knows now that he has to be still for a groom and needs to be able to tolerate some gentle wrangling during his groom too. I usually don't have him on my lap for most of his grooms but I will stop doing it at all now.
He's quite tolerant of the brushing process now and never mouths the comb. His only sign of discomfort are occasional yawns and when I get to a knot he does squirm a bit at first. For the most part, he lies still for grooming and lets me work, though I have yet to get him to position himself right. The table will be good for both of us.

I definitely want to have a table for when I trim the fur on his feet, too, I know it is impossible without one.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
I do want to clarify, now that Enzo is older and more tolerant of the tools, I do not let him leave without finishing his groom anymore. i let him do his own pace at first when introducing his brushes to him when he was tiny, but he knows now that he has to be still for a groom and needs to be able to tolerate some gentle wrangling during his groom too. I usually don't have him on my lap for most of his grooms but I will stop doing it at all now.
He's quite tolerant of the brushing process now and never mouths the comb. His only sign of discomfort are occasional yawns and when I get to a knot he does squirm a bit at first. For the most part, he lies still for grooming and lets me work, though I have yet to get him to position himself right. The table will be good for both of us.

I definitely want to have a table for when I trim the fur on his feet, too, I know it is impossible without one.
Well, as you can see from the video I posted, I don't expect my dogs to stay completely still while I'm grooming them. I think that is unrealistic. We work together. :) I tell them when they need to stay still for a moment, or when they need to move a particular way. I WOULD start, even now, working with him on the counter or the top of the washing machine or something similar on getting him to stand still and let you at least comb his feet. Thus takes time, and he absolutely DOES need to stand rock steady for you to be able to trim his feet nicely. I'll do a video on that the next time I need to trim Ducky's feet if I think of it. They were just done last Friday, so they don't need it yet!

Reactions: SRK and gabbygool

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, as you can see from the video I posted, I don't expect my dogs to stay completely still while I'm grooming them. I think that is unrealistic. We work together. :) I tell them when they need to stay still for a moment, or when they need to move a particular way. I WOULD start, even now, working with him on the counter or the top of the washing machine or something similar on getting him to stand still and let you at least comb his feet. Thus takes time, and he absolutely DOES need to stand rock steady for you to be able to trim his feet nicely. I'll do a video on that the next time I need to trim Ducky's feet if I think of it. They were just done last Friday, so they don't need it yet!
Thank you again! We will keep practicing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I want to ask, how do you all groom your dogs' bellies, especially for those dogs that do not feel comfortable laying on their back or side for grooming?

Enzo and I have been working very hard on cooperative care with his brush. I am at the same time learning how to care for a drop coat. It's been hard balancing the need to groom his fur vs. going at a pace where he is tolerating the groom. We've gotten to a decent point now where I can brush a lot of his fur to the skin around his sides, I work a little slower with his face and paws and rump since those are his more sensitive areas. He lays on his tummy since I am still not able to get him to comfortably lay on his side, though I'd like to get him there one day. In any case, his tummy is out of reach when I groom him like this, so often I have to hold him up to get it since he's never been comfortable laying on his back for a groom. Is there a better position to hold them so you can see what you are doing while you are doing it? I can't help but think I'm not getting to all of his fur this way, and that I'm making him super uncomfortable :/

I've been told a few times that I shouldn't let him "get away" with refusing a groom or struggling, but I'm conflicted a bit because I value things like cooperative care so much, and I don't ever want Enzo to feel scared or helpless during a groom.
I have two Havs and they LOVE to be groomed. I start out with a treat and talk to them to ease any anxiety and they love to be spoken to. I use a WET brush (see all websites at the end for recommendations) on their coat when it is wet so it doesn't pull. One dog loves the hairdryer and the other hates it so I let her air dry and then brush her out later. I also use a comb with rotating teeth and this has been a God send for me and them as well. The fur doesn't get "caught" in the comb and you can maneuver and pull a bit to loosen any mats, although sometimes I just cut them out if they are really bad. Then after I use the teeth rotating comb I use a flea comb on their face and ears in order to get a really smooth look. As far as the tummy goes, I usually just brush it by holding onto their paws and making them stand up. I know some people like to have their tummies shaved but I don't like the look. As far as their paws go my male Hav hates it when anyone touches his paws. He won't bite but he just pulls it out of your hand so I started using one of those harnesses that you put on them and it lifts them off the ground. WOW, it works so great! Both dogs don't mind it at all and they let you do just about anything to their paws in this contraption.

As far as having people say "don't let them get away with it" well, I just don't believe in being forceful with any dog. It may take a little longer to get your dog to love their brushings but it is worth it for you and them!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,591 Posts
I have two Havs and they LOVE to be groomed. I start out with a treat and talk to them to ease any anxiety and they love to be spoken to. I use a WET brush (see all websites at the end for recommendations) on their coat when it is wet so it doesn't pull. One dog loves the hairdryer and the other hates it so I let her air dry and then brush her out later. I also use a comb with rotating teeth and this has been a God send for me and them as well. The fur doesn't get "caught" in the comb and you can maneuver and pull a bit to loosen any mats, although sometimes I just cut them out if they are really bad. Then after I use the teeth rotating comb I use a flea comb on their face and ears in order to get a really smooth look. As far as the tummy goes, I usually just brush it by holding onto their paws and making them stand up. I know some people like to have their tummies shaved but I don't like the look. As far as their paws go my male Hav hates it when anyone touches his paws. He won't bite but he just pulls it out of your hand so I started using one of those harnesses that you put on them and it lifts them off the ground. WOW, it works so great! Both dogs don't mind it at all and they let you do just about anything to their paws in this contraption.

As far as having people say "don't let them get away with it" well, I just don't believe in being forceful with any dog. It may take a little longer to get your dog to love their brushings but it is worth it for you and them!

I am trying to picture how the harness that lifts them off the ground works. Could you explain further? Is it one of those with a handle on top? If so I cannot figure out how you would hold them up with it while grooming.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
As far as their paws go my male Hav hates it when anyone touches his paws. He won't bite but he just pulls it out of your hand so I started using one of those harnesses that you put on them and it lifts them off the ground. WOW, it works so great! Both dogs don't mind it at all and they let you do just about anything to their paws in this contraption.

Sorry, I think that putting your dog who resists you working on his feet in a sling so you can work on his feet is NO different than me (gently) insisting that my dog sit still so that I can work on his feet or belly. I have never hurt my dog or yelled at him. I use ONLY the amount of force necessary to position him the way he needs to be for what I need to do. Ummm. Less than hanging him up in a sling…

And I am NOT saying that that is a horrible thing either if it works for you. Your dogs DO need to allow you to groom their feet, and it sounds like they accept this just fine. I am just saying it is a bit disingenuous to use a sling to do your dog’s feet, and then say you don’t believe in being forceful with your dogs. You take away ALL their options when you put them in the sling.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just as an update Enzo is doing really well with a full body groom every day, I am pushing him a bit more and he's doing very well. I have a loop and bath mat on the way so we can work on top of the washer until I am able to save up for a table. His fur is pretty clean now that I'm approaching things a bit differently, though I know that our consistent training has helped a lot with his tolerance of things. Once his loop is set up his belly will probably be in better shape though it is not dire right now. For now I let him put his paws on my shoulder while he's standing on a surface so I can better get at his belly fur. He doesn't love the process but he's quite tolerant and loves being told when he's done a good job. Face fur is tough but he stays mostly still when I have a high value treat ready for him. It's progress!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
That sounds AWESOME!!! I groomed Kodi on the washing mashine for over 5 years before up-grading to a table! While I love having my table and stool, the washing machine worked great as a “standing” station for me, and standing for one dog is no problem. Having him put his paws on your shoulders is a great solution!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That sounds AWESOME!!! I groomed Kodi on the washing mashine for over 5 years before up-grading to a table! While I love having my table and stool, the washing machine worked great as a “standing” station for me, and standing for one dog is no problem. Having him put his paws on your shoulders is a great solution!
Thank you ❤ I appreciate all the knowledge and insight you've offered. It's helping us a lot! I wish I started posting in the forum sooner, but Enzo is still young and we are still learning a lot together.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Thank you ❤ I appreciate all the knowledge and insight you've offered. It's helping us a lot! I wish I started posting in the forum sooner, but Enzo is still young and we are still learning a lot together.
You’ve got plenty of time!❤

Reactions: gabbygool

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You mentioned that he's not a fan of cutting nails - have you tried a dremel? Perry's much better with a dremel than he is with clippers (possibly because I'm less nervous with the dremel than clippers :) )
I want to try but I need to see how it's done first, I am afraid of getting his fur caught in the dremel. I've heard bearded dogs can get beard hair stuck too!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
You mentioned that he's not a fan of cutting nails - have you tried a dremel? Perry's much better with a dremel than he is with clippers (possibly because I'm less nervous with the dremel than clippers :) )
Yes!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
I want to try but I need to see how it's done first, I am afraid of getting his fur caught in the dremel. I've heard bearded dogs can get beard hair stuck too!
I've got a video for that! LOL! It's on here somewhere. See if you can find it. I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Here you go:

And here is dew claws:

And here is trimming feet with the Wahl trimmer:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If Perry's feet are a little long (the hair) I sometimes will wet it (not soaking just so that it will lie flat) which makes it easier to push it to the side to expose the nail before dremeling. The only solution to the beard getting caught though is to keep their head away from their feet when you're dremeling :)

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
If Perry's feet are a little long (the hair) I sometimes will wet it (not soaking just so that it will lie flat) which makes it easier to push it to the side to expose the nail before dremeling. The only solution to the beard getting caught though is to keep their head away from their feet when you're dremeling :)
Yes to both. I refer to Dremel right after a bath, because the nails are much softer, just like clipping nails.

And watch the video I posted. this shows how to position the dog so that the foot is completely away from the dog's face. Until I learned this method from a professional groomer, I scared myself so badly by catching Kodi's beard in the Dremel that I stopped using it for 2 years!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Finally had a chance to set up our little DIY grooming station today. Enzo did so much better than I thought he would! He stood very still for most of the groom and laid down when he was comfortable. His face was last and definitely was met with the most resistance. He did get some cheese for his efforts 😉
Here he is before I let him go back to being a goober.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Liver

Hair Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver

He had a lot of fun messing up his hairdo just minutes later

21 - 40 of 41 Posts