Havanese Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bentley is finally home! He did SO WELL on the flight and various car rides - all of the advice given on here was so helpful!

He tricked us a bit with how good he was the first night and through our travel - turns out he is a HANDFUL. We are working on being quiet while in a pen or crate and slowly introducing our other havs (who are NOT yet thrilled he's around 馃槵). He is quite the character, very outgoing, sassy, adventurous, and brave. While we are working on the separation anxiety (he seems to have bonded with me from the moment we picked him up), he is doing pretty well with the potty training (though we are being very proactive).

While we thought he would be between 11 and 13lbs, it seems he's going to be a big boy (weighing nearly 5 lbs at 9 weeks).

Registered
Congratulations! We just enjoyed our first full night of sleep, fourth night home with 8 week old Izzy. I bought the snuggle puppy and we find the heartbeat has a calming effect in and out of the crate. Two nights ago I put a worn t-shirt of mine in the crate with Izzy as she has bonded closely with me as well. She only woke once that night and settled very quickly after her potty trip.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations! We just enjoyed our first full night of sleep, fourth night home with 8 week old Izzy. I bought the snuggle puppy and we find the heartbeat has a calming effect in and out of the crate. Two nights ago I put a worn t-shirt of mine in the crate with Izzy as she has bonded closely with me as well. She only woke once that night and settled very quickly after her potty trip.
Great to hear! Last night was night 3 and he only woke up once at 3:15ish, so hopefully we will get our first full night soon! He has one of my shirts in his crate too - I may consider the snuggle puppy if he continues to have trouble!

Bentley is beautiful.
Your new motto is "A tired puppy is a well behaved puppy". He was probably too tired after a long day the first day home. Now all hell will break loose.
Totally - I think it was a combination of being overtired/overstimulated and nervous energy being moved around so much. Hopefully he will begin to settle down...at least in the pen/crate. He's a stinker so don't think that will change lol

BPanzer
I have a 10 week old and I used the snuggle puppy from the first night (8 hr heartbeat mode) and she normally sleeps 8 hours. She often sleeps right on top of the snuggle puppy (in her kennel) so I do thed to think it helps her sleep deeply. Two nights of the 8 we have had her she did wake up, quickly peed and went right back to sleep. I don鈥檛 think there is a downside to it.

Registered
Bentley is such a lil cutie pie! I feel like I'm in the minority and actually was hoping for a bigger (or at least medium-range) sized Hav, but our breeder guessed that our lil pipsqueak will probably be on the smaller end of the Hav spectrum, maybe 9-10 lbs (obviously now that I have her I don't care at all and love her regardless lol!)

Premium Member
Bentley is such a lil cutie pie! I feel like I'm in the minority and actually was hoping for a bigger (or at least medium-range) sized Hav, but our breeder guessed that our lil pipsqueak will probably be on the smaller end of the Hav spectrum, maybe 9-10 lbs (obviously now that I have her I don't care at all and love her regardless lol!)
Willow is a pipsqueak. She weighs no more than 8 lbs. I like it. I can scoop her up and tuck her in one arm and carry her like that if I have to. Much easier with a little dog than one that weighs 15 lbs. or so!

Arf! Arf!
Willow is a pipsqueak. She weighs no more than 8 lbs. I like it. I can scoop her up and tuck her in one arm and carry her like that if I have to. Much easier with a little dog than one that weighs 15 lbs. or so!
I standard bowling ball weighs 16 pounds. RICKY weighs 15+ pounds. Think about that! Sometimes he will come running to me when I am sitting. He will leap from 6 feet away going full tilt rocket and land on my lap. It can and has knocked the wind out of me. There are pros and cons to all sizes of Havanese - just as long as it is a Havanese!

Metrowest, MA
I standard bowling ball weighs 16 pounds. RICKY weighs 15+ pounds. Think about that! Sometimes he will come running to me when I am sitting. He will leap from 6 feet away going full tilt rocket and land on my lap. It can and has knocked the wind out of me. There are pros and cons to all sizes of Havanese - just as long as it is a Havanese!
Kodi used to (And I THINK it was on purpose) run up behind us in the kitchen, and hit us RIGHT in the back of the knees with his forelegs. He could TAKE.YOU.OUT!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts