Havanese Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
So my Bil Jac has pea protein. Legume issue? I just found this out. Switch? I’ve also started using Stella and Chewys raw salmon and chicken patties. Mixed with the Bil Jac. 466 calories a day! Max. Don’t want my Boo to get too fat to fly!
Personally, I avoid legumes for all my dogs as much as possible, but ESPECIALLY for puppies and reproducing dogs, as recommended by my vets because of the plant estrogens they contain. And yes, pea protein is definitely a legume.

Boo's weight should be based on what is proper for his frame, not on flying. That said, 466 calories per day DOES sound on the high side. I didn't go back and check what Ducky's K-Calories are right now, But Kodi, who is may largest Havanese is only getting 340 K-calories per day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Personally, I avoid legumes for all my dogs as much as possible, but ESPECIALLY for puppies and reproducing dogs, as recommended by my vets because of the plant estrogens they contain. And yes, pea protein is definitely a legume.

Boo's weight should be based on what is proper for his frame, not on flying. That said, 466 calories per day DOES sound on the high side. I didn't go back and check what Ducky's K-Calories are right now, But Kodi, who is may largest Havanese is only getting 340 K-calories per day.
That calorie count is based on something! He’s only 4.5 months old so maybe that. But I’ll check again. I know it goes way down as he gets older. What puppy food do you use? Or did use? You may have replied that in my first message to this group on foods but I can’t seem to find that. I do remember your statement about legumes. And then saw the pea protein.
Also, did I see that you train dogs for “shows” meaning activities? Like stage stuff? Not sure what the proper term for that is! I’d love to get my Boo into agility. Not for competition but for fun. I think he’s love it!!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
That calorie count is based on something! He’s only 4.5 months old so maybe that. But I’ll check again. I know it goes way down as he gets older. What puppy food do you use? Or did use? You may have replied that in my first message to this group on foods but I can’t seem to find that. I do remember your statement about legumes. And then saw the pea protein.
Also, did I see that you train dogs for “shows” meaning activities? Like stage stuff? Not sure what the proper term for that is! I’d love to get my Boo into agility. Not for competition but for fun. I think he’s love it!!!!
Ducky (my puppy) gets Fromm's Puppy Gold kibble in the morning, and Nom Nom (a fresh frozen food suitable for all life stages) in the evening. He ate 3 meals a day until he was about 5 months, then we dropped the middle meal, because he does a LOT of training. So he gets a good portion of his calories while training. But it is always good quality lean protein that is used for training treats. His total calories is very similar to Kodi's, but he is a MUCH smaller animal. He weighs 9 lbs, and Kodi weighs 17 lbs. (Ducky will NEVER be 17 lbs... I suspect he will top out around 10, perhaps a bit more)

Ducky is showing in "conformation" right now, but also training for competitive obedience and rally. He will probably also do agility, as his mom and Kodi have. And no, it's not for the stage, though both Panda and Kodi have "trick dog" titles! Ducky will probably get those too. :)

Here is a video of Ducky showing last weekend:

He's the little red and white puppy who goes second in this clip.

Dogs/puppies need to have a good solid start in basic obedience and be able to follow your instructions off-leash before they are ready for agility, even for fun, and they should not be jumping or weaving before they are a year old anyway! So you have PLENTY of time to work on the basics, before even THINKING about agility training! You can go to the agility section of the forum and see LOTS of videos of my dogs as well as a number of other forum members both learning agility as well as competing in agility in that section! There are also lots of fun videos in the rally and obedience sections if you want to see what those sports are like!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adeline is 7 months old and eats Stella and Chewy freeze dried raw puppy patties and I’ve added in their WildRed puppy kibble, which is grain free, but is also legume free. Their other puppy kibble does have legumes so I switched. I also like that Stella and Chewy adds Taurine, which is beneficial to heart health and was an ingredient mentioned in the grain free studies that should be present. Stella and chewy also sells an ancient grain line Of foods.

I should mention as a side note that she was on Simparica Trio which was the cause of 3+ months of continual diarrhea issues. After several rounds of anti diahreal meds, bloodwork, specialty RX food (Hills Digestive Care, which is expensive and she HATED it), we figured out it was the Simparica. It is also linked to neurological issues/seizures I’ve since discovered, so we are lucky it was just constant pooping. Also, she gained 3 lb in one month while on that crappy Hills RX food, despite her constant pooping, which i now have a ton leftover. If your Vet suggests Simparica Trio, refuse it. I’d avoid Hills as well. She is thrilled to be back on stella and chewy food.
Hi there, our pups Cocoa and Cisco are almost 1.
I have been torn between grain free / Grain kibble by Stella Chewy. I have been adding raw dried Frozen and mix it up and add a lil water to make it dewy and soft and they LOVE IT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a super picky dog and yes, I tried the leave the food for 10 minutes and then pick it up and wait until the next meal thing.

Otto is 9 lbs and change. He gets 1/4 cup of Fromm’s Small Breed Adult kibble and 1 Stella and Chewy’s (beef or chicken are the only two he will eat) patty at breakfast and the same at dinner.

More often than not he doesn’t finish the kibble. Once in a blue moon he’ll bark for more. I do leave his kibble out all day until bedtime because he seems to eat better when he can nibble all day. It was quite a process to get to this point but it is working for us.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have a super picky dog and yes, I tried the leave the food for 10 minutes and then pick it up and wait until the next meal thing.

Otto is 9 lbs and change. He gets 1/4 cup of Fromm’s Small Breed Adult kibble and 1 Stella and Chewy’s (beef or chicken are the only two he will eat) patty at breakfast and the same at dinner.

More often than not he doesn’t finish the kibble. Once in a blue moon he’ll bark for more. I do leave his kibble out all day until bedtime because he seems to eat better when he can nibble all day. It was quite a process to get to this point but it is working for us.
Is Otto a puppy because that's more than Perry gets and Perry's 11 pounds (he gets 1/4 cup Fromm kibble for dinner and 2 Stella and Chewy freeze dried patties for breakfast) - it could be why he doesn't always eat all his kibble.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Is Otto a puppy because that's more than Perry gets and Perry's 11 pounds (he gets 1/4 cup Fromm kibble for dinner and 2 Stella and Chewy freeze dried patties for breakfast) - it could be why he doesn't always eat all his kibble.
That's approximately what all my adults eat too. Ducky eats more, but he's an adolescent, and gets frankly boney without more food. But he is also VERY active!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That's approximately what all my adults eat too. Ducky eats more, but he's an adolescent, and gets frankly boney without more food. But he is also VERY active!
I use the kibble to regulate. If Perry is really inactive or we're using a lot of treats I'll give him a more scant 1/4 cup... if we're using fewer treats or i feel he's getting ribby, I'll give him more of a heaping 1/4 cup, but he never gets even close to 1/2 cup a day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adeline is 7 months old and eats Stella and Chewy freeze dried raw puppy patties and I’ve added in their WildRed puppy kibble, which is grain free, but is also legume free. Their other puppy kibble does have legumes so I switched. I also like that Stella and Chewy adds Taurine, which is beneficial to heart health and was an ingredient mentioned in the grain free studies that should be present. Stella and chewy also sells an ancient grain line Of foods.

I should mention as a side note that she was on Simparica Trio which was the cause of 3+ months of continual diarrhea issues. After several rounds of anti diahreal meds, bloodwork, specialty RX food (Hills Digestive Care, which is expensive and she HATED it), we figured out it was the Simparica. It is also linked to neurological issues/seizures I’ve since discovered, so we are lucky it was just constant pooping. Also, she gained 3 lb in one month while on that crappy Hills RX food, despite her constant pooping, which i now have a ton leftover. If your Vet suggests Simparica Trio, refuse it. I’d avoid Hills as well. She is thrilled to be back on stella and chewy food.
Thank you so much for your response! I find great VALUE on this site! Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Boos Dad, Thank you for your response! I will look into Stella and Chewy. I don’t really like a product pushed on me by a vet that they sell. Sort of conflict of interest thing. I’m sure there are such things as what used to be called “Pharma Babes” for veterinarians with meds and food.

Hi Boos Dad. Another question. My vet said that grain free diets have been shown to potentially be harmful. I believe it was heart issues. I haven’t researched it. Have you heard this? I was thinking I might try the raw meat kibble from Stella and Chewy, but appears to have no grain. I will research all of this, but I value your opinion.
Just a comment. Stella and Chewy's gave Jack hives on his skin.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
We have tried many foods and were feeding freeze dried for a while. We have now transitioned Minnie to Nom Nom. Her energy is excellent as well as her stools. This food is expensive but super convenient. One day, I may decide to cook for her but right now I am up for convenience. Thanks @Heather's for sharing your experience with us!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Just a comment. Stella and Chewy's gave Jack hives on his skin.
Well... There are several different protein sources under the Stella and Chew's brand. So it depends which one. And not all foods are going to work for every dog. The fact that one variety of one brand didn't work for your dog doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the brand...

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I chose Stella and Chewy’s freeze-dried raw rabbit for Isaac’s elimination diet diet and it has worked well for him. I started the last week of September and will continue the elimination diet through Christmas then start trying to re-introduce one thing at a time to see if I can determine his itch triggers. I moved Leo to Stella and Chewy’s freeze-dried raw during this period too just to simplify feeding time. Both boys eat it well and are doing well with it. Issac’s itching is almost completely gone. It will be interesting to see what his triggers are but I will probably keep both Leo and Issac on this diet for awhile.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
I chose Stella and Chewy’s freeze-dried raw rabbit for Isaac’s elimination diet diet and it has worked well for him. I started the last week of September and will continue the elimination diet through Christmas then start trying to re-introduce one thing at a time to see if I can determine his itch triggers. I moved Leo to Stella and Chewy’s freeze-dried raw during this period too just to simplify feeding time. Both boys eat it well and are doing well with it. Issac’s itching is almost completely gone. It will be interesting to see what his triggers are but I will probably keep both Leo and Issac on this diet for awhile.
My dogs love Stella and Chewy's it's just very expensive to feed to multiple dogs!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts