Havanese Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
I would not get a second dog before the first is AT LEAST 18 months - 2 years old. Enjoy the wonderful puppy you have. They are puppies for such a short time!

I am also a very strong believer that you get a second dog for yourself, NOT for the first dog. If you asked your first dog, your first dog would tell you she is PERFECTLY happy with her life as an ”only”! Don’t feel bad about getting a second, if it’s what YOU want… heck, I have FOUR! LOL! But understand that you are doing it because that’s what YOU want, and they will adjust, just the way siblings do, when parents decide to add more children to a family. ;)

Kodi, at twelve, STILL wishes, at times, that we’d send the rest packing and he could go back to his life as an “only”! He says, “Mom bought this as MY bed!” LOL! :ROFLMAO:
Fawn Woolen Dog breed Companion dog Tail

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not get a second dog before the first is AT LEAST 18 months - 2 years old. Enjoy the wonderful puppy you have. They are puppies for such a short time!

I am also a very strong believer that tou get a second dog for yourself, NOT for the first dog. If you asked your first dog, your first dog would tell tou she is PERFECTLY happy with her life as an ”only”! Don’t feel bad about getting a second, if it’s what YOU want… heck, I have FOUR! LOL! But understand that you are doing it because that’s what YOU want, and they will adjust, just the way siblings do, when parents decide to add more children to a family. ;)

Kodi, at twelve, STILL wishes, at times, that we’d send the rest packing and he could go back to his life as an “only”! he says, “Mom bought this as MY bed!” LOL! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 175689
We were thinking that she might be lonely now that she's going to be alone during the day. As everything seems to be back to normal here in the UAE, I will be on regular office hours (8-5). She's not used to being on her own for more than 4 hours at a time.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
We were thinking that she might be lonely now that she's going to be alone during the day. As everything seems to be back to normal here in the UAE, I will be on regular office hours (8-5). She's not used to being on her own for more than 4 hours at a time.
Whether you have one or more, that is really too long for dogs to be left alone without HUMAN interaction. That is what they crave, as they were bred as a companion breed. In sddition, yhey really need to get out to relieve themselves. Ee do have people on the forum who have Havanese and work full timr, but they have someone come in, mid-day to let their dog out to potty and play with them for a while. That might be a better option than adding another dog… ESPECIALLY a puppy, who REALLY will not be able to be left alone for NEARLY that long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whether you have one or more, that is really too long for dogs to be left alone without HUMAN interaction. That is what they crave, as they were bred as a companion breed. In sddition, yhey really need to get out to relieve themselves. Ee do have people on the forum who have Havanese and work full timr, but they have someone come in, mid-day to let their dog out to potty and play with them for a while. That might be a better option than adding another dog… ESPECIALLY a puppy, who REALLY will not be able to be left alone for NEARLY that long.
I know. Just the thought of leaving her alone for a long period of time breaks my heart. I already spoke to someone who can come in around noon to check on cayenne. He lives within the same block. Cayenne adores him too. I'm not going back till October, but i try to get prepared for everything that she might need. We're doing crate training also just in case.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
I know. Just the thought of leaving her alone for a long period of time breaks my heart. I already spoke to someone who can come in around noon to check on cayenne. He lives within the same block. Cayenne adores him too. I'm not going back till October, but i try to get prepared for everything that she might need. We're doing crate training also just in case.
That sounds perfect! Shamamama on the forum does the same for Shama, and it works great for her!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts