Havanese Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Friday! We are tentatively bringing home a new puppy (assuming everything goes well on our visit to the breeder in a few weeks and there’s a good match for us) on September 3rd, when it would be about 10.5 weeks old. I’m looking into puppy classes since they book up, and trying to figure out the best timing. I was thinking starting after two weeks at home would be ideal, but of course the schedule for the place I want to use doesn’t fit that 😊 Our options are to start a week and a day after coming home (Sat the 11th) or not until a few weeks later on Sept 25. Any thoughts on which is preferable? We will be doing LOTS of socialization on our own, as well as early training, and our breeder uses puppy culture and says she does a lot of socialization before they come home too. Thanks!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Happy Friday! We are tentatively bringing home a new puppy (assuming everything goes well on our visit to the breeder in a few weeks and there’s a good match for us) on September 3rd, when it would be about 10.5 weeks old. I’m looking into puppy classes since they book up, and trying to figure out the best timing. I was thinking starting after two weeks at home would be ideal, but of course the schedule for the place I want to use doesn’t fit that 😊 Our options are to start a week and a day after coming home (Sat the 11th) or not until a few weeks later on Sept 25. Any thoughts on which is preferable? We will be doing LOTS of socialization on our own, as well as early training, and our breeder uses puppy culture and says she does a lot of socialization before they come home too. Thanks!
The best time to start is as soon as possible!! All my puppies started school within days of coming home! Your sensitive period for "easy" socialization will fly by. Don't waste a moment!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best time to start is as soon as possible!! All my puppies started school within days of coming home! Your sensitive period for "easy" socialization will fly by. Don't waste a moment!
Awesome to hear. The 11th it is! This school won’t let you bring them in until you’ve had them at home for a week so you’re sure the puppy is healthy, but that also happens to be the first class starting

@krandall and others with multiple Havanese… any tips or resources I should check out for purposefully introducing and building a relationship between the two dogs? I know it will be an adjustment for Charlie to not be the only dog, but we have talked about things we can do to help ease the transition, like making sure he still has special outings on his own (also so the puppy learns to be alone) as one example. One thing that’s good about Charlie is that he’s sweet but assertive with other dogs; he won’t hesitate to warning growl if a puppy, even a bigger dog, keeps jumping on his head or otherwise annoying him. But i want to help things along as much as possible! Thank you!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Awesome to hear. The 11th it is! This school won’t let you bring them in until you’ve had them at home for a week so you’re sure the puppy is healthy, but that also happens to be the first class starting

@krandall and others with multiple Havanese… any tips or resources I should check out for purposefully introducing and building a relationship between the two dogs? I know it will be an adjustment for Charlie to not be the only dog, but we have talked about things we can do to help ease the transition, like making sure he still has special outings on his own (also so the puppy learns to be alone) as one example. One thing that’s good about Charlie is that he’s sweet but assertive with other dogs; he won’t hesitate to warning growl if a puppy, even a bigger dog, keeps jumping on his head or otherwise annoying him. But i want to help things along as much as possible! Thank you!
I would say that first introductions should be with an expen or baby gate between them. Then, if things seem fine, you can let them together, but supervise carefully. That said, we have never had a problem.

As time goes on, it sounds like you already know the basics. I'd say the one thing that is REALLY important that you are missing is that you HAVE to make sure that the adult dogs can get away from the puppy. Either by getting up onto something that the puppy can't get onto (that only works for a while!) or with gates. In our house both the kitchen and my office are gated. The puppy is inside either the office or the kitchen where I can keep my eye on him. The adult dogs are allowed to come in if they want and leave when they want. That can be a pain in the neck, and a LOT of getting up and down to open the gates, but I owe it to them, for bringing home (or keeping ;) ) this annoying young one! ;) Kodi, in particular, has been really slow to tell off puppies who have been tormenting him. He's quicker now, with Ducky than he was with the girls... maybe because he's older and has less tolerance. But he would let Pixel hang from his ear or lip with her needle sharp teeth and just whine for me to come and save him!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
We are tentatively bringing home a new puppy (assuming everything goes well on our visit to the breeder in a few weeks and there’s a good match for us) on September 3rd, when it would be about 10.5 weeks old.
Ohhh, hooray! Congrats, Lisa! ☺ Can’t wait to see pics! I JUST started puppy K with Chase and I wish it had started sooner. He needs some little friends too!

he would let Pixel hang from his ear or lip with her needle sharp teeth and just whine for me to come and save him!!!
I just love how sweet and patient Kodi is with the young’ens! I’ve felt those sharky little teeth up close and personal so for him to maintain his gentleness and calm is pretty amazing! Good for him to finally put his paw down. 😉

1 - 5 of 5 Posts