Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I came home and Gizmo went immediately then after eating again and then three more times. I noticed when she ran off of her potty patch there was little spots of blood on the ground :( The vet thinks she has a UTI...I hope I didn't do something to cause it. How do they get those?

I took her in but he couldn't get a clean sample. We kept giving her water and before they could get a sample she would pee it all out :( I'm so nervous. She has peed atleast 20 times since 8:00 and it's only 10:00 is that normal? She's also moved her bowels a lot, not diarreha...I hate when she is sick....

Also after she came home from getting spayed she had a little bump on her side that scabbed over. I figured it was from a shot they gave her, but he didn't know what it was from...

·
Mom of Brutus and Roxie
2,152 Posts
The most common cause of blood in the urine is a UTI. Grequent urination is also a sign of UTI. I hope she is better soon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too....shes in her crate right now so she stops peeing all over...she keeps peeing in it then I just clean it. He said to keep her calm :(

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Pixie had one. She was chewing sweet potato jerky and the vet thought the high sugar content contributed to it. They can't hold it in and have to go whenever, where ever. She'll feel much better after the meds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She did have a little bit...okay a lot of people food yesterday. I told the vet that, he didn't say anything about it. We had a BBQ and were letting her sample. Guess we have to be more careful. Just feel bad all of the other dogs we know do it and they don't have this issue. :(

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Geez don't beat yourself up! This stuff happens and it could have been from who knows what. We're just guesstimating anyway. It's not like mine don't get the occasional Mickey D's fry (ok fries) and who knows whatever else DH slips them when I'm not looking. After the antibiotic she never had that problem again. Easy fix.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
She did have a little bit...okay a lot of people food yesterday. I told the vet that, he didn't say anything about it. We had a BBQ and were letting her sample. Guess we have to be more careful. Just feel bad all of the other dogs we know do it and they don't have this issue. :(
any onions????
That is exactly how we discovered Oliver had a piece of onion and he almost didn't make it.
Onions are toxic to dogs. The toxicity is dose dependent, so the bigger the animal, the more onion need be consumed to cause a toxicity. Onion toxicity causes a Heinz body anemia. Heinz bodies are small bubble-like projections which protrude from a red blood cell and can be seen when the cells are stained. This "bubble" is a weak spot in the red blood cell and, therefore, the cell has a decreased life-span and ruptures prematurely.
If numerous red cells are affected and rupture, anemia can result. It is a form of hemolytic anemia. Onions are only one of the substances which can cause Heinz body anemia. Other substances such as Acetominophen (Tylenol) and benzocaine-containing topical preparations can also cause Heinz body anemia in the dog.

The toxic effect of the onions are the same whether the product is raw, cooked or dehydrated. The hemolytic episode usually occurs several days after onion ingestion (lowest hematocrit around day 5 post ingestion). Daily feeding of onions could have a cumulative effect due to ongoing formation of Heinz bodies versus a single exposure with a wide gap until the next exposure, allowing the bone marrow time to regenerate the prematurely destroyed red cells.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,347 Posts
Three years ago when Brandy (my standard female) had a UTI, the vets couldn't get a clean catch. They used an ultra sound and a syringe and needle, went through her tommy to get the urine. Of course she had an infection and they were able to give her the meds right away. Can your vet do that???

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WHAT! Yes there was a little bit of onions....how bad was Oliver??

He couldn't collect the sample but gave her 3 weeks of antibiotics and will see her in 1.5 weeks and then 4 weeks to see how it is doing :(

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
WHAT! Yes there was a little bit of onions....how bad was Oliver??

He couldn't collect the sample but gave her 3 weeks of antibiotics and will see her in 1.5 weeks and then 4 weeks to see how it is doing :(
The Vet says "Oliver had a severe reaction" He had never seen a reaction that quickly

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Yikes.
Onions, artificial sweetener, grapes, raisins, chocolate, macadamia nuts-all bad. You may want to call the vet in the morning just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the Emergency Vet as well and they gave me the number to ASPCA Poison Control. They said that most likely what is happening now is not caused to the onion. They said that he pee would be a different color, hers is yellow or clear and after she pees a few drops of blood come out. They also said since she is running around a bit she is probably okay but I should get her blood and urine tested tomorrow, which I will. They also said the onions don't usually show up for 3-5 days so this is most likely not that.

I'm gonna keep an eye on her tonight and then my parents will have her tomorrow day time. Then I can get her tested.

I didn't know about the onions, I knew about grapes and chololate. I'm not giving her people food anymore...I feel so horrible....

The people I was with always had dogs and always gave them that stuff and they never had issues.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
any onions????
That is exactly how we discovered Oliver had a piece of onion and he almost didn't make it.
Onions are toxic to dogs. The toxicity is dose dependent, so the bigger the animal, the more onion need be consumed to cause a toxicity. Onion toxicity causes a Heinz body anemia. Heinz bodies are small bubble-like projections which protrude from a red blood cell and can be seen when the cells are stained. This "bubble" is a weak spot in the red blood cell and, therefore, the cell has a decreased life-span and ruptures prematurely.
If numerous red cells are affected and rupture, anemia can result. It is a form of hemolytic anemia. Onions are only one of the substances which can cause Heinz body anemia. Other substances such as Acetominophen (Tylenol) and benzocaine-containing topical preparations can also cause Heinz body anemia in the dog.

The toxic effect of the onions are the same whether the product is raw, cooked or dehydrated. The hemolytic episode usually occurs several days after onion ingestion (lowest hematocrit around day 5 post ingestion). Daily feeding of onions could have a cumulative effect due to ongoing formation of Heinz bodies versus a single exposure with a wide gap until the next exposure, allowing the bone marrow time to regenerate the prematurely destroyed red cells.

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I knew that onions were one of the things to avoid, but I had no idea HOW bad they were!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
Three years ago when Brandy (my standard female) had a UTI, the vets couldn't get a clean catch. They used an ultra sound and a syringe and needle, went through her tommy to get the urine. Of course she had an infection and they were able to give her the meds right away. Can your vet do that???
I sues to have a cat who got regular UTI's and they had to do the same thing with her. Though after a while, we just started treating her symptomatically. Once your animal has had a couple, it becomes pretty obvious the next time it happens.<g> Hopefully with Gizmo this will be a one time thing!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So this morning she peed once and didn't see any blood which is good, she didn't want to drink though. She is on her meds. Going to call the vet soon and specify about the onions and see what he says...I so hope she will be okay :(

She is with my parents right now so they will watch her like crazy too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just a note of useful information for the new puppy owners on the forum:

Outdoor barbeques can be very hazardous for little dogs, as can drops from the kitchen counter. We should all stick to the kibble and dog treats.

Along with the well known onions, raisins, grapes, and chocolate we should know that dogs have very short intestinal tracks and cannot tolerate high fat content. That would include suasages, chicken fat, steak fat, greasy french fries, etc. High fat human food usually causes gastric upset and diaherra. Also, highly toxic are fruit pits (cherries, peach, avocado, etc) They produce cyanide.

I know this has been discussed on many threads, but can't talk about it enough! Check out this link for a list of doggie food don't.

http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/baddogfoods.html

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Just a note of useful information for the new puppy owners on the forum:

Outdoor barbeques can be very hazardous for little dogs, as can drops from the kitchen counter. We should all stick to the kibble and dog treats.

Along with the well known onions, raisins, grapes, and chocolate we should know that dogs have very short intestinal tracks and cannot tolerate high fat content. That would include suasages, chicken fat, steak fat, greasy french fries, etc. High fat human food usually causes gastric upset and diaherra. Also, highly toxic are fruit pits (cherries, peach, avocado, etc) They produce cyanide.

I know this has been discussed on many threads, but can't talk about it enough! Check out this link for a list of doggie food don't.

http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/baddogfoods.html
The quantity of onions, raw or cooked, required is high enough that dogs can generally tolerate small doses of onions without any problem and moderate amounts of onion without apparent signs of onion poisoning. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.
I also wanted to add the above from from Rory's link---- however Oliver was the exception to this-- he showed sign with in 12 hours.The vet said if we waited much longer he wouldn't be here. He was very sensitive to a small piece of onion. Please be careful! :hug:
Get well soon Gizmo!
Thanks for adding that link Rory. I have that printed out (along with other things) in a notebook for Oliver and Comet

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THANKS all! I felt so horrible earlier! I hate that something I gave her could of made her sick or worse...

I'm going to talk to the vet once she is better about anything like meat products that she is allowed to have and what he says will go, if its nothing that is fine. I usually don't give her people food at all. Just figured it was a special day so I would let her sample a little (BIG mistake).

I called the vet, he said to keep an eye on her today and call him later. If she is not acting like herself or her pee gets worse then bring her in for bloodwork. If she is normal then keep an eye on it for a few days and thatway he can getthe urine sample as well. He thinks she will be okay and just said to be careful until she is all better (which is not a problem). Hopefully tonight I can get some sleep :)

Thanks again everyone!

3,646 Posts
Sending Best Wishes that little Gizmo recovers without any further issues cropping up - specifically the onion reaction. Hopefully, you will get your sleep tonight, Gizmo's Mom.

And, THANK YOU, Rory, for the link. I have printed it out and put it in Augie's folder. I had a list of toxic plants, foods, but this gives much more information.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,347 Posts
I sues to have a cat who got regular UTI's and they had to do the same thing with her. Though after a while, we just started treating her symptomatically. Once your animal has had a couple, it becomes pretty obvious the next time it happens.<g> Hopefully with Gizmo this will be a one time thing!
Brandy used to suffer and is prone to chronic UTI. We had her cultured at the same time to rule out stones and crystals and all came back negative thank goodness. Instead of treating it as it manifested itself, I put her on cranberry supplement which I add to her food daily. She hasn't had a UTI since (she was 1.5 when I put her on it, she is now 4 years 7 months). I highly recommend cranberry supplement to anyone (human or canine) who suffers from UTI.

As far as onions, I know they are toxic, but all the meat my guys ever had was cooked with onions. All are fine, I guess everything in moderation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts