Havanese Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and love it so far I keep reading about blowing coat and have no idea what it means can someone help me? Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
I'm new here and love it so far I keep reading about blowing coat and have no idea what it means can someone help me? Thanks...
Blowing coat is when a Havanese transitions from their puppy fur to their adult coat. This usually happens some where between the ages of 9 months and 18 months depending on the dog. Each dog is different, with different coat characteristics, and it can vary. Blowing coat is characterized by matted, tangled fur. The coat is a nightmare to maintain for several months. Many owners will put their dog into a "puppy cut" to ease the maintenance during that period. It involves thorough brushing daily, sometimes more than once a day. The good news is that they grow out of it as their adult fur grows in which is usually easier to maintain than puppy fur.

When you go through the blowing coat stage, we are here to help with suggestions for proper tools and techniques.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts