Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Stogie is officially blowing coat!!!
Poor Jane, when I took the dogs to be groomed today she could only do Stogie because it took her the entire time. He is matting so fast, you cant keep up. Im going to have to brush him out three times a day I guess! :eek:

This may drive me to drinking, haha.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I feel for you Melissa. That part of Cru's 'puppyhood' I did NOT enjoy.
You're lucky you have a groomer who will work with you to keep their show coat. The small town groomers here won't touch a mat. They just want to shave 'em!!!
It DOES get better, just takes a little while.
Dawna

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh Melissa just wait. Noah is still blowing coat but his mature coat is so soft and silky. They have alot of coat but it is so nice and easy care when it is finally in. Don't drink while you're pulling mats, he will not love you anymore<g>
J

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok its just terrible. I brush out a mat and its back within an hour.
He just whines. Im trying to be so gentle. Today I was brushing out these mats that were right on the skin, and he would let out a yelp sometimes, Goldie and Rumba were right by him trying to make him feel better, licking hsi face. It was precious.

Is there anything I can put on his skin? It seems like this would be very irritating to it. I hope this doenst last long.

:(

·
Registered
847 Posts
Um, yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Cru was finished with that matting stage, but it's SO better. He still gets mats, but not like when he started blowing coat the first time around 10 months or so. That was AWFUL. Everyone says their coat gets easier and easier to care for. Let's hope their right!
Dawna

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder how long the blowing coat lasts? When is their adult coat IN?
Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?
Goldie has been matting BAD this week, and she is a year and a half!
She was sick so maybe that caused her to Blow Coat???

Who knows, but its awful trying to get the mats out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Blowing Coat.

Melissa,
Can you say "Puppy cut". Only kidding. The transition from puppy coat to full adult coat can take years. Usually they start "blowing coat" at about 8 months give or take a month and do not finish until three years or more. Of course, changes or imbalances in their metabolism may play a role in this. For example, bitches coming into season, stress, change in diet etc. Just comb them more often and keep the hair nice and clean. Try to reduce buil up. Susan is really good at that.
Hugs,
J

G

·
Tanzi is finally coming out of that stage. Her coat is much easier to care for now, but it still shows the effects of the 'nasty' phase. Her coat change was EXTREME. We may give her a haircut and cut off those puppy ends so she can start over.

·
Registered
847 Posts
HELP. I am making dinner for 20 people. (I thought 10 were coming) Our oldest son is 21 today. Cru had a bath so he'd be all pretty for company. Some precious helpful little person put his belly band on him for me ... while he was still wet. He has a 'belt' of mats of the likes I have never seen. It's like a shrink to fit mat all the way around. Is there any way to get this out? He is just now looking like a hav again after a puppy cut.

G

·
Try cornstarch...put it directly on the mats and use your fingers to gently separate the mats, and then use a metal comb.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks Tami. I can't believe how badly it matted right around his waist. It looks like felt or something. I'll try the cornstarch right now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Cru is getting so mad at me! I can only work on him for a little bit, but it's coming out sloooowlyyy.:eek:
I like the puppy cuts a lot, but I'm trying to grow Cru out again right now.
Goldie will be stylin'!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dog is now 20 months old and has gone through several periods of severe matting. He only made it for 9 months before I had to start keeping him in a puppy cut. That did not stop the matting, just made it easier to manage. How can you tell when their "adult coat" has come in? Is their final color established when that happens?

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's sort of like shedding, but instead of individual hairs coming out all over your furniture, carpet, etc, the loose hair in this breed needs to be combed or brushed out. Then you just take the hairwad out of the brush and throw it away. LOL
This is the time when havanese are prone to matting if you don't really brush them out well everyday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently took my 5 mo. old pup to the groomer, who said that her coat was hopelessly matted and that she would need to be shaved. Needless to say, I was fairly shocked to see my little furless "baby" when I picked her up. Since then I've talked to another groomer, who said that the first groomer was just being lazy -- that they should have been able to comb out the mats. Is shaving the only answer to matted coats or is the 2nd groomer right?

1 - 20 of 323 Posts