Havanese Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The good news is that I really dislike travelling these days. I'd like to go home(not in winter, eh!) to see my family. Vacations, no.
I really need to work on this. Somewhere around me there must be a competent person. One of my dogs I did board at a pet resort after having bad experiences with people. Unless I find someone good, Shadow will probably go there but it is not ideal.
I personally wouldn’t get a puppy from across the country and have it shipped. It sounds like it’s coming from a puppy farm. Are you sure there are no local breeders in your area. I know these puppy farms are less expensive. But I think it’s worth the extra cost to get from a local breeder. That’s what I did and I’m very happy I did it that way. I did pay a few hundred dollars more but was well worth it. He’s been perfect since I brought him home. I could tell that the breeder for the first eight weeks really paid special attention to him. That normally happens with a local breeder. They treat the puppies as their own.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
I personally wouldn’t get a puppy from across the country and have it shipped. It sounds like it’s coming from a puppy farm. Are you sure there are no local breeders in your area. I know these puppy farms are less expensive. But I think it’s worth the extra cost to get from a local breeder. That’s what I did and I’m very happy I did it that way. I did pay a few hundred dollars more but was well worth it. He’s been perfect since I brought him home. I could tell that the breeder for the first eight weeks really paid special attention to him. That normally happens with a local breeder. They treat the puppies as their own.
Good breeders are always “local” to someone! ;) This puppy is NOT being “shipped”. It is being hand carried in the plane by the breeder. A HUGE difference, and quite acceptable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We're on our breeder's list to get our puppy in March or April. She's having one litter that's due on Dec. 31 and another litter that's due in mid January. That's great news because it's a bit earlier than we thought it would happen. The bad news is that we have a trip planned at the end of April. We could have the puppy for a month by that point or just a week or two before we leave on our trip. Our puppy will be 3 months old.

I thought we'd have my parents take care of our puppy but they'll be out of town. Our only other option I think is to find a board and train facility. I hate the thought of boarding our puppy but I'm not sure we have another option. I'm not sure if they strictly follow positive reinforcement training or if they do a "balanced" approach (which I heard could be code for other approaches I'm not a fan of). Plus, it could be quite costly which isn't ideal but we'd do it if necessary.

What has been your experience with board and train facilities?
(Hav owner since 2019)

If you live close to breeder ask them if they can care for your little one while you are gone.

No to facilities because your little one is not fully vaccinated. Plus Havs are prone to separation anxiety.

My experience is I left my little one at my friends. I had set him up in a children’s pack in play.
If yours is in a play pen take to your friend’s house.
I was gone for two nights and slept a lot while away from my little one (3 mo old).

Most Havs are fully housebroken at 9 months old.
Therefore, your friend will be housebreaking while you are away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you all. I've been agonizing over this since finding out that the litters would be born much sooner than I thought. We'd feel terrible leaving so soon after getting the puppy so I think we'll need to cancel our trip. It's for a week and while we might not be able to recoup the cost, it's worth it to be there for the puppy. We have our pet sitter lined up for our cats, and while she does do overnights, she'd also charge us for 4 daily visits for the puppy. Understandably so, but it would be a fortune.

I hesitated posting this at all because it seems like we'd be irresponsible new owners to go away so soon after getting our puppy. We're not irresponsible at all though and I was hoping a board and train situation, while not ideal, would be ok. Thank you for telling me what I knew deep down. We want what's best and that's cancelling our trip.

Our breeder is across the country from us. She's going to fly the puppy to us. She doesn't know about our trip. We're not keeping anything from her- we just found out about the timing. I suppose I could ask her to keep the puppy a while longer but I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm not sure if she has another litter planned after this. I vaguely remember her saying that she was going to wait until next year to give her females a break. While we could postpone and wait til then, we'd prefer not to.

Thanks again for not judging too harshly. We really want to do the right thing.
IMO, I would ask breeder to keep puppy til you get back from trip….(before flight to you) due to puppies coming prematurely. Personally, I would not cancel trip. If your breeder is like most breeders she would love to hold on to one of her puppies for you (with pay-learn her fees.)

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
IMO, I would ask breeder to keep puppy til you get back from trip….(before flight to you) due to puppies coming prematurely. Personally, I would not cancel trip. If your breeder is like most breeders she would love to hold on to one of her puppies for you (with pay-learn her fees.)
Actually, many breeders will do it if it's absolutely necessary. Few breeders "love" it. They have their own dogs, and often are keeping a puppy. It complicates all that, and means the added work of training another puppy right when they THOUGHT they would be having a bit of a break after the exhausting 10-12 weeks of puppy rearing! ;)

But more importantly, they know that that SO important and very short critical socialization period is ticking away, and this is the time that the puppy REALLY should be home with their new family. Sometimes it can't be helped. But if it can, it is better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Msteinho6514, I wouldn't have a puppy shipped, ever. Our breeder flies with her puppies to their new owners when needed. She's a great breeder, one who my sister used last year. My sister is a dog trainer and a business owner who runs a dog adventure company. She knows her stuff, including what a reputable breeder looks like. This isn't a puppy mill situation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Actually, many breeders will do it if it's absolutely necessary. Few breeders "love" it. They have their own dogs, and often are keeping a puppy. It complicates all that, and means the added work of training another puppy right when they THOUGHT they would be having a bit of a break after the exhausting 10-12 weeks of puppy rearing! ;)

But more importantly, they know that that SO important and very short critical socialization period is ticking away, and this is the time that the puppy REALLY should be home with their new family. Sometimes it can't be helped. But if it can, it is better.
Our breeder is one who probably would want to hang onto her puppies longer, but their new owners want to bring them home as soon as they can. I'm sure I could ask if she can keep our puppy longer, but my husband and I really want to start bonding with him or her as soon as possible. I think that's more important than going on vacation, no matter how much part of me wants to go to the Caribbean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We're on our breeder's list to get our puppy in March or April. She's having one litter that's due on Dec. 31 and another litter that's due in mid January. That's great news because it's a bit earlier than we thought it would happen. The bad news is that we have a trip planned at the end of April. We could have the puppy for a month by that point or just a week or two before we leave on our trip. Our puppy will be 3 months old.

I thought we'd have my parents take care of our puppy but they'll be out of town. Our only other option I think is to find a board and train facility. I hate the thought of boarding our puppy but I'm not sure we have another option. I'm not sure if they strictly follow positive reinforcement training or if they do a "balanced" approach (which I heard could be code for other approaches I'm not a fan of). Plus, it could be quite costly which isn't ideal but we'd do it if necessary.

What has been your experience with board and train facilities?
Almost fourteen years ago when I got Dusty, I also had a planned trip. My solution was to ask the breeder to keep him longer. It worked out well.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
my husband and I really want to start bonding with him or her as soon as possible. I think that's more important than going on vacation, no matter how much part of me wants to go to the Caribbean.
I agree and understand your decision! ❤

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
Thank you, HavaneseMe and Karen. If we were getting our puppy in May or June as we thought, this trip wouldn't have been an issue. When we learned about the new timeframe, we tried to figure out a way to make the trip work. Like I said earlier though, canceling is the best decision. My husband agrees that palm trees and the beach will have to wait. On to shop for puppy gear! 😂
I believe I am who Karen is talking about! We were going to go to Florida for a month in February (first time ever going away that long.)Then Ms. Syd came along. She would be 7 months when we left. The breeder was willing to take her for the month. But we thought it would be confusing to her at such a young age for so long. We thought about bringing her with us, but they wouldn’t budge on their no pet policy. So we cancelled. We risked losing 1/2 the cost, if they didn’t rebook. Luckily they were able to rebook and we got a full refund.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
I believe I am who Karen is talking about! We were going to go to Florida for a month in February (first time ever going away that long.)Then Ms. Syd came along. She would be 7 months when we left. The breeder was willing to take her for the month. But we thought it would be confusing to her at such a young age for so long. We thought about bringing her with us, but they wouldn’t budge on their no pet policy. So we cancelled. We risked losing 1/2 the cost, if they didn’t rebook. Luckily they were able to rebook and we got a full refund.
LOL! It would be you! ❤

Reactions: Missy
21 - 31 of 31 Posts