Havanese Forum banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
Friday Morning Update - Well, now a little over a week out of the hospital. Boo’s whining has much decreased and he actually ran a little in the backyard this morning.

Last night, he finished he finished his dinner at 11 pm and was asleep by 11:30 pm. He did not wake up until 4 am. Then, we took a quick trip to the back yard. After returning to his room, Boo had a quick drink of water and fell asleep for another 3.5 hours.
I really wonder if a lot of the whining wan't distress over the vestibular problems that he just didn't understand, and are now starting to clear up!

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Just a note if needed - I use to diaper my corgi. Used Pampers but she didn't have a tail to deal with. I think Karen mentioned once that you could cut a hole in the diaper for the tail. The Pampers worked well and stayed on. My corgi, of course, was a lot bigger but maybe a size for a newborn would work for a Havie.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I really wonder if a lot of the whining wan't distress over the vestibular problems that he just didn't understand, and are now starting to clear up!
I think that is a very reasonable observation. Early on, he was whining a lot (probably because of the vertigo feeling, as you suggested). Now, he seems to only whine, when he wants to get out of his bed and pee. After I pick him up and take him out, the whining completely stops. Further, the whining only happens, if I do not attend to him shortly after he sits up in his bed. Not sure why he won't just climb out of the bed, unless bumpers are too high. He only started using his bed after surgery because I did not want him jumping off his sofa (where he used to sleep) with stitches in his ear.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Just a note if needed - I use to diaper my corgi. Used Pampers but she didn't have a tail to deal with. I think Karen mentioned once that you could cut a hole in the diaper for the tail. The Pampers worked well and stayed on. My corgi, of course, was a lot bigger but maybe a size for a newborn would work for a Havie.
I thought about a diaper or belly band, a good idea. However, I'm just so paranoid that he might get a UTI, I'd rather just get up and take him out. He seems able to hold his urine for, at least, three to four hours. So, I can deal with that. I'm also worried that it might upset him, as he has been getting more anxious these days.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
Size 2 or 3 works for most adult Havanese. But boys, if it's pee, usually use a belly band rather than a diaper. OTOH, if a dog WANTS to go outside, it would probably be terribly humiliating to HAVE to wet himself.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
I think that is a very reasonable observation. Early on, he was whining a lot (probably because of the vertigo feeling, as you suggested). Now, he seems to only whine, when he wants to get out of his bed and pee. After I pick him up and take him out, the whining completely stops. Further, the whining only happens, if I do not attend to him shortly after he sits up in his bed. Not sure why he won't just climb out of the bed, unless bumpers are too high. He only started using his bed after surgery because I did not want him jumping off his sofa (where he used to sleep) with stitches in his ear.

My guess is it probably STARTED because he was dizzy, and he didn't feel like he COULD get out of bed by himself, and now he may have convinced himself that he can't. Maybe you could practice it with him for cookies a few times when he's awake? Just to get his confidence back?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes, I just took that picture before my post. I’m glad to hear that Boo is not the only Havanese, who does not like being held. It is a rare occasion, when he will stay in a lap for more than a minute or two. My mother says that Boo is very independent.
Perry has never been a super cuddler but tolerated being held (though was super squirmy when he wanted to get down so I always had to hold his harness as well). But, after being on restriction for so many months and therefore spending a lot of that time being held (carried up/ down stairs, held when we were downstairs with cousin Finley, and sometimes held on the bed when he wanted to jump), he's become more tolerant and will allow it more than he did before. When we're downstairs and Fin is bothering him, he'll even request being picked up and relaxes as you're holding him then.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
My guess is it probably STARTED because he was dizzy, and he didn't feel like he COULD get out of bed by himself, and now he may have convinced himself that he can't. Maybe you could practice it with him for cookies a few times when he's awake? Just to get his confidence back?
I think your guess is correct. I tried holding a cookie and he started moving toward the edge of the bed. I finally put the cookie on the floor in front of the bed. Eventually, he put his front paws over the bolster and grabbed the cookie. I put another cookie a little further away, and he climbed all the way out. We will keep on practicing. His vision is poor so it took him a little while but he did it. Hooray!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
I think your guess is correct. I tried holding a cookie and he started moving toward the edge of the bed. I finally put the cookie on the floor in front of the bed. Eventually, he put his front paws over the bolster and grabbed the cookie. I put another cookie a little further away, and he climbed all the way out. We will keep on practicing. His vision is poor so it took him a little while but he did it. Hooray!
He’s still a “smart cookie” in spite of his limitations! ❤

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
If you just want something temporary for monitoring, there are apps that will let you use a laptop, ipad, etc. as a video monitor. In addition to baby/pet monitors you can also use a home security system. We expanded our security system last year after there were break-ins while people were asleep in our neighborhood. I didn’t realize until they were installed that the indoor entry cameras really freak me out. I tried to get past it but we ended up returning them and did additional exterior security instead. Anyway, I know there a lot of really good, flexible cameras out there right now. If you do get a security camera, you could use it to monitor Boo from your phone and it could be easily moved around the house for him, or still be useful to you when he’s feeling better.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
If you just want something temporary for monitoring, there are apps that will let you use a laptop, ipad, etc. as a video monitor. In addition to baby/pet monitors you can also use a home security system. We expanded our security system last year after there were break-ins while people were asleep in our neighborhood. I didn’t realize until they were installed that the indoor entry cameras really freak me out. I tried to get past it but we ended up returning them and did additional exterior security instead. Anyway, I know there a lot of really good, flexible cameras out there right now. If you do get a security camera, you could use it to monitor Boo from your phone and it could be easily moved around the house for him, or still be useful to you when he’s feeling better.
I bought a baby monitor already but thanks for the information. I will store it for the future. I am so tech challenged that I was unaware about the apps. I just have to set up baby monitor now.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Saturday Morning Update - Well, last night, Boo decided not to eat his dinner (something he has a long history of doing). He did take cookies and play his puzzle games. This is not new, because of his IBD. However, it does hinder my efforts to raise his weight. Also, he decided to stay up til 2:30 am. However, on the plus side, he did not wake, during the night. Further, he is still sleeping now, 7 hours later. I think I'm gonna try keeping him up more in the afternoon/evening. Maybe, it will tire him out so he sleeps earlier.

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
I thought about a diaper or belly band, a good idea. However, I'm just so paranoid that he might get a UTI, I'd rather just get up and take him out. He seems able to hold his urine for, at least, three to four hours. So, I can deal with that. I'm also worried that it might upset him, as he has been getting more anxious these days.
Yes they used belly bands on the boy corgis. I forgot about that since mine was a lady.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh my goodness I have been reading this with my heart in my mouth, desperate to know and also not wanting to know how this thread might end😳😞💔

I am so relieved that Boo is now feeling more comfortable and that the vet has been supporting you and Boo into the right care options for him. The bond you and Boo share is truly heartwarming💖. I pray that Boo continues to feel better. Xx

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Saturday Evening - I kept Boo up for several hours this afternoon, wondering outside and playing his puzzle games. I offered lunch but he graciously declined. He dropped off to sleep at 6 pm. I guess I exhausted him. I plan to wake him before 9 pm, and keep offering food. Hopefully, he eats (fingers crossed).
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Grey

81 - 100 of 139 Posts