Havanese Forum banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,454 Posts
Hope it's just "one of those dog things", but I certainly understand why you are being very cautious with him!!! 💕

Reactions: BoosDad

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Saturday Afternoon Update - Back from vet. Good news. No temperature and no dehydration. Blood pressure under control with new medication. Vet gave Boo a B12 injection and Flagyl (for diarrhea).

Looks like Boo will be on boiled chicken breast and white rice for next 3-4 days. I am making white rice and chicken on the stove now. Of course, it has boiled over, leaving a mess to clean up.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Toy dog

·
Metrowest, MA
29,454 Posts
Good to hear no temp or dehydration. Hope he enjoys his boiled chicken breast and white rice for dinner. Love seeing his sweet face and beautiful eyes in the picture. :)
I was thinking the same thing! He sure does have beautiful eyes!!!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Do you think it’s a delayed response related to his recovery? I hope he enjoys his dinner!
I think it might be related to his IBD. He had a similar episode back in August. However, typically, his IBD manifests in the form of poor appetite. However, last time it was responsive to Flagyl and bland diet. So far no diarrhea today.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
Good to hear no temp or dehydration. Hope he enjoys his boiled chicken breast and white rice for dinner. Love seeing his sweet face and beautiful eyes in the picture. :)
Believe it or not, he licked his bowl clean. He did not even leave behind a grain of rice. That's very unusual for him but I'm not complaining.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,454 Posts
Believe it or not, he licked his bowl clean. He did not even leave behind a grain of rice. That's very unusual for him but I'm not complaining.
The “sensitive diet” our vets recommend is sweet potato and chicken (or 95% lean ground pork, since Kodi can’t eat chicken) rather than rice, but my guys love it SO much that if one of them NEEDS it, I end up feeding it to ALL of them or they complain that they are getting left out! LOL!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Sunday Morning Update - Boo had a fantastic night. He ate well, and took his meds with no problems. I wish chicken breast and white rice were a complete meal because he devours eat. His weight is down almost a pound. So gotta get some weight back on him. Though I sometimes wonder, as being on the skinny side is contributing to his longevity. Who knows?

Another good piece of news is that he slept all night without waking. Still half sleeping now.
Felidae Carnivore Dog breed Small to medium-sized cats Grey

·
Metrowest, MA
29,454 Posts
I wonder if the DogFather could change the name of this thread for you and make THIS his "old age" thread? Maybe you should send him a message and ask!

...And if he likes the chicken and rice so much, what about adding that and something fattening to his regular meals when his tummy is better?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I wonder if the DogFather could change the name of this thread for you and make THIS his "old age" thread? Maybe you should send him a message and ask!

...And if he likes the chicken and rice so much, what about adding that and something fattening to his regular meals when his tummy is better?
Yes, your right. I'll start a new thread " Diary of an 19 Year Old Havanese. " Thanks for suggestion. Also, Boo has chicken and rice with his regular meal but he hates the carrots and other vegetables lol

·
Metrowest, MA
29,454 Posts
Yes, your right. I'll start a new thread " Diary of an 19 Year Old Havanese. " Thanks for suggestion. Also, Boo has chicken and rice with his regular meal but he hates the carrots and other vegetables lol

My guys (and gals!) are all veggie-fruit-ivores! They all LOVE that stuff! They wait around for us to finish dinner, because they know they will get our left-over steamed veggies!!! OTOH, for Boo, I am sure THOSE don't add much in calories. So maybe talk to your vet about leaving THAT part out?

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
My guys (and gals!) are all veggie-fruit-ivores! They all LOVE that stuff! They wait around for us to finish dinner, because they know they will get our left-over steamed veggies!!! OTOH, for Boo, I am sure THOSE don't add much in calories. So maybe talk to your vet about leaving THAT part out?
From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness has just recently found the gloriousness of green beans. They were suggested by the vet to help keep her weight under control (she gained a little more than a pound during the pandemic lockdown and is now on a stricter diet). She cannot get enough of them. She likes carrots too, just in smaller, less regular amounts. But she very unladylike snarfs green beans.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness has just recently found the gloriousness of green beans. They were suggested by the vet to help keep her weight under control (she gained a little more than a pound during the pandemic lockdown and is now on a stricter diet). She cannot get enough of them. She likes carrots too, just in smaller, less regular amounts. But she very unladylike snarfs green beans.
Perry loves his fruit and veggies. His favorite used to be snow peas - but haven't had good ones around in a while so he hasn't had them. Lately it's been apples and tomatoes, but he'll eat almost anything except leafy greens (he doesn't see the point - probably because they don't have much of a scent). And broccoli he prefers the stems to the florets (he'll eat a few pieces of the florets but then leaves them)

·
Metrowest, MA
29,454 Posts
Perry loves his fruit and veggies. His favorite used to be snow peas - but haven't had good ones around in a while so he hasn't had them. Lately it's been apples and tomatoes, but he'll eat almost anything except leafy greens (he doesn't see the point - probably because they don't have much of a scent). And broccoli he prefers the stems to the florets (he'll eat a few pieces of the florets but then leaves them)
Kodi will eat ANY veggies offered to him... Even celery. And I've been told most dogs HATE celery! Pixel is the "pickiest" about veggies and fruit, and we have to keep a close eye on her, because if she doesn't like something, she will still take it, (HEAVEN FORBID it go to ANOTHER dog!!!) and then she takes it in onto the couch in Dave's office and ROLLS on it! LOL! Didn't end well when it was over-ripe banana! LOL!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

My previous dog hated green beans. We were living in Azerbaijan at the time so I had to make her food and usually added green bean to it - so she would pick them all out... and then, when she was done, if she was really hungry, she MIGHT eat them, but often wouldn't :). I'm going to have to try them with perry though I suspect he'll like them fine.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts