Havanese Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hello all,
it's been a while since I posted.

It has been really awesome with Bramble so far. He's very much become part of the family.
Hilarious, mischievous, cute, snuggly, annoying, amusing... you name it!

He's grown a lot, he's around 5kg now but still looks tiny.
Recently he lost his baby teeth, and I guess he's beginning adolescence now.

I've noticed he seems to sleep A LOT now. Is that normal?
He sleeps basically the whole day, and it's not until the evenings that he wakes up properly.
He's incredibly high energy when he is awake, and all his behaviour seems great.
I'm now working from home of course (like everyone) so maybe it's just I can observe him much closer than before!

Is this just normal puppy behaviour at 6 months?

And here are some recent photos... I trimmed his hair myself.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,972 Posts
He's very much become part of the family.
Hilarious, mischievous, cute, snuggly, annoying, amusing... you name it!
Yes, all of the above is typical Havanese behavior, including annoying. My Ricky can be annoying at times but in an enduring sort of way. I have to turn my back and giggle at times so he can't see me react to his "unacceptable" behavior, like selective hearing.

He's grown a lot, he's around 5kg now but still looks tiny.
Sounds like within the parameters. i think he is going to be a big boy.

Recently he lost his baby teeth, and I guess he's beginning adolescence now.
Adolescence evolves between 6 and 18 months generally.

I've noticed he seems to sleep A LOT now. Is that normal?
Probably normal. Go to this thread to see what the range is, it may surprise you!
how-many-hours-does-your-havanese-typically-sleep-during-daytime
He sleeps basically the whole day, and it's not until the evenings that he wakes up properly.
I bet if you took him for a couple of short walks during the day, he would wake up pronto!
He's incredibly high energy when he is awake, and all his behaviour seems great.
VERY normal

Is this just normal puppy behaviour at 6 months?
He sounds very typical and normal, and it only gets more fun as he matures

I trimmed his hair myself.
You're a braver man than I am! :wink2:

Ricky's Popi

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Shama sleeps a lot. I think that's normal for a Havanese. If you want Bramble to be slightly less wired in the evening, maybe you could take him for a walk or engage him in a play session in the middle of the day.

Where does he sleep? Shama has access to her ex pen during the day when we're home (and she's locked in it when we're not home), but in the early evening, we don't allow her access. She has to stay out with us (where she does have about 10 other beds!) and only go back into her ex pen for her overnight.

Please keep the updates and the photos coming!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks guys! We love him! A lot! He’s loving the fact that I’m home all the time at the moment m, and he’s enjoying his first ever sunny weather!

One new behavior I would love advice on... he’s starting growling and barking at unexpected things. E.g neighbours in their garden... somebody walking past the house... somebody knocking on the door. A pigeon! It’s like he’s become a little watchdog overnight! The thing is, I don’t need him to be a watchdog.

So far whenever he does it me or my wife give him soothing attention and let him know how normal whatever is happening is.

Is this just a phase? Or have I got a permanent little watchdog on my hands? He’s now 7 months old.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Since he’s entering adolescence, I’d be really careful about it. It’s easy to manage the symptoms, for lack of a better word, which was my mistake. I had to backtrack a little. For instance, barking in the window is pretty normal, and I worked on removing him from the window, which worked to manage that behavior. But I didn’t recognize some other subtle guarding behaviors because I wasn’t really looking for them. Once I made the connection, I could see how those small behaviors were connected, and it was much more effective.

Dave has posted some really good articles on guarding. One of them was actually more about adding a new dog to the home and it mentioned how guarding can play into that, but the more subtle behaviors it mentioned were helpful to me. (At least, I think I read that article here and Dave posted it!)

I wouldn’t stress out about it, just stay on top of it. There’s a lot of emphasis on the importance of the early socialization window, but adolescence is another window in which new behaviors can develop so just don’t let down your guard quite yet ;) It helped me to do a lot of reading about it from different sources because most of the information out there describes more extreme guarding behavior, and that’s not at all where we were at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys! Bramble is now here 🙂 we collected him on Friday. He’s very tiny, and very fluffy! So much character... he loves playing, he’s already learnt to fetch. And so far no accidents in the house; his breeders have done a great job.

The only ‘challenge’ so far is crying when he’s left alone, or thinks he’s been left alone. It’s early days, but it’s heart breaking to hear him. It’s already not as bad as Friday night, so I hope he’ll get accustomed to his new life without his siblings! Would welcome some encouragement on this!
Bramble is ADORABLE! Cherish him! Have you tried a Snuggle Puppy and your tee shirt? That worked for Tchotchke.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts