Havanese Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
I was able to sign up for vaccinations on 2/22 and 3/15 through my school district. I'm thrilled!

We are still in distance learning (which allowed me to spend this week visiting my parents), but tomorrow we're expecting to hear what's going to happen next. The district's plan was to return to hybrid on 2/22, but the teachers have been pushing to wait until we're fully vaccinated. The district finally surveyed the parents, students, and staff, so I'm hopeful that the consensus is to remain in distance learning until after Spring Break (i.e., beginning of April).
That's so soon! I'm happy for you! I hope they wait, with it only being weeks away.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Popi - thanks for the information. I still have a couple of weeks to wait for my 2nd dose. I had a doctor appointment yesterday. She said when she got her 2nd dose she was quite sick for 3 days. I'm glad to hear you are feeling so much better. Now, if we could just find out how long the vaccinations last! I'm hoping it will be like the yearly flu shots.
I always find ZDogg MD topics informative. Here he explains why we experience side effects to the vaccine.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Today DH, me and my friends 99 yr old mom got the Moderna vaccine through Stanford. The vaccine was given in the old gymnasium on campus and was very organized. We did the pre admit questioner online. They checked your ID in the computer and then you moved to another line. There were several stations where the vaccine was being given. The person who administered my vaccine was a nursing student. She did a great job! 😊 It took ten minutes longer because she had to wait for the vaccine to be dispensed because it is refrigerated. She picked up the syringe and waited until the timed dose could be given in the computer. Then we moved to another station where our next dose was scheduled. Next injection 3/13.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Heather, did you have a 15 minute observation wait time after the injection? Any side effects today?

Ricky's Popi

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Heather, did you have a 15 minute observation wait time after the injection? Any side effects today?

Ricky's Popi
We were requested to stay for 15 mins after the injection. The insurance and vaccine info was entered at the last station. By the time he finished with the three of us and scheduled the return date our 15 mins was done. Just checked in with my friends 99 yr old mom and she has no soreness. DH arm is slightly sore. My arm and shoulder are a little sore. Hopefully we will not have any side effects with the second dose. 😊

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
DH does not have his appointments yet. He teaches in a different district. In my district, we found out that we will NOT be returning to hybrid. The only question now is when we will have to return to in-person, before or after our vaccinations have taken effect ...

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Now, if we could just find out how long the vaccinations last! I'm hoping it will be like the yearly flu shots.
I listened to an epidemiologist on TV tonight. The answer to your question is unknown at this time BUT she said that the vaccination will probably be like "annual or seasonal" flu shots.

DH does not have his appointments yet. He teaches in a different district. In my district, we found out that we will NOT be returning to hybrid. The only question now is when we will have to return to in-person, before or after our vaccinations have taken effect ...
BUMMER for DH! I know if I were in your position with regards to in-person teaching at this time, I know what I would do.

Ricky's Popi

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Today we found out that, unless numbers don't allow it, the ninth graders will return on 3/22 while grades 10-12 will not return until 4/6. My second shot is scheduled for 3/15, so I'm happy. I have three sections of ninth graders, but since some students will still be staying home, I think I'll be able to keep my distance from my students for four days. Spring Break starts on Friday, 3/26. I'm relieved that we can stay in distance learning for another five weeks!

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Mama, I would be totally comfortable with this schedule. I think it is a realistic expectation. A cautionary note: you may need to take one or two days off after your second vaccination as a result of side effects.

You are well on your way to liberation. I am excited for you.

Ricky's Popi

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I had a long conversation with DD1 yesterday about the Covid vaccination clinic at her worksite. The community in which her university worksite is located was featured on national TV news last Friday evening at 6 PM PST. This community was featured as an outstanding example of vaccine distribution and implementation in California which has an otherwise dismal record. Interestingly, the mayor of the community is a young Hispanic guy who is a graduate of the university where she works. He is considered a rapidly rising star in California politics.

With regards to DD1 specifically, she got the Pfizer vaccine 3 weeks ago today. Pfizer recommendation is 21 days for the second dose which would be for today. That vaccination has been delayed until tomorrow, day 22 so not a big deal. Here is the problem. Her worksite was initially given 2000 doses to be administered over 2 weeks at the beginning of February. However, they have not received any vaccine for first inoculation for two weeks now! Because her community has been doing such a good job in distribution (see paragraph above) vaccine is being sent to other areas of California for apparently political reasons. She is very frustrated because she has the facilities to administer triple (3000 doses per week) the amount from the beginning of February. The Los Angeles County Health Dept. did relent and sent them 2000 doses for second vaccinations for those receiving their first dose at the beginning of February. So she will be moderately busy for the next two weeks facilitating second doses but after that, her program has been put on "stand by."

Lower population States are doing a better job of distribution than the California the most populous State with around 40M residents. But people are being vaccinated here. I talked to two of my neighbors over the weekend and they will be getting second vaccinations this week. USC where my heart surgery was done has contacted me via email three times to come in and get vaccinated. I keep telling them I have been vaccinated! Today is the completion of my 14 day waiting period for full immunity since my second vaccination. I am done and good to go! :p Patience and perseverance are required!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,662 Posts
Lower population States are doing a better job of distribution than the California the most populous State with around 40M residents. But people are being vaccinated here. I talked to two of my neighbors over the weekend and they will be getting second vaccinations this week. USC where my heart surgery was done has contacted me via email three times to come in and get vaccinated. I keep telling them I have been vaccinated! Today is the completion of my 14 day waiting period for full immunity since my second vaccination. I am done and good to go! :p Patience and perseverance are required!
Still miserable here in MA. It has opened up to those under 65 and those with 2 or more comorbidities and they have now aligned with the CDC guidelines on comorbidities, so both Dave and I are eligible. But because there are SO MANY people over 65, and so little vaccine available, the site crashed within minutes of opening last Thursday, and all appointments are completely filled. Basically, all the sites say "Try again next Thursday... you might have better luck trying the smaller, more local places, even though they have less shots available - If you're lucky..."

OTHER people who either have cancer or have been treated with cancer have been contacted by Dana Farber to come in for a shot, but Dave (who has Lymphoma) has not been. Sit's still a mess. Oh well... we've been living like a hermit for a year, what's another few months?

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
But because there are SO MANY people over 65, and so little vaccine available, the site crashed within minutes of opening last Thursday, and all appointments are completely filled. Basically, all the sites say "Try again next Thursday... you might have better luck trying the smaller, more local places, even though they have less shots available - If you're lucky..."
Yes, that has been the same problem here too, a reservation line opens with maybe 1000 doses available and 10 minutes later the line crashes when tens of thousands of people call in. There has been a recall effort mounted to recall our governor for the results and it looks like it might be successful. The problem is it is not the governors fault, California is just not getting enough vaccine to meet the demand. There is just not enough vaccine available as was thought by the new Federal Administration when they took over. They are increasing the orders to Pfizer and Moderna but it is going to take a few weeks to catch up. The good news is we have increased vaccinations from 900K per day in mid-January to over 1.7M vaccinations per day right now and that number is getting bigger each week.

Karen I want you and your family vaccinated ASAP take heart, it's something like waiting for a Havanese puppy, it will happen before you know it. Call the reservation line again this Thursday. Buena suerte amiga. ☘

Reactions: krandall

·
Metrowest, MA
26,662 Posts
Oh, we will keep trying! I know it will happen sooner or later!

Reactions: EvaE1izabeth
161 - 175 of 175 Posts