Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like we have had a lot of bunnies come in our yard now. Not sure why now, but any ideas on how I can keep them away? Charlotte loves to nosh on their poop and it’s really hard to find it and get them before Charlotte.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Nope. all I can say is it has never hurt our dogs.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I view it as free probiotics.
There are NO face kisses allowed afterwards, though!!! And Pixel insists on ROLLING in them. THAT is REALLY gross!!!🤮

Reactions: mudpuppymama

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I have one poop roller too! It is not Mia! Luckily Mia has never rolled on anything but a worm. However, she can eat poop with a vengeance!

Panda will eat it, but not roll in it, Ducky won't eat it OR roll in it... Both Kodi and Pixel are equal opportunity eaters and rollers, but Pixel is by FAR the worst! She actively seeks it out! The fresher and nastier, the better!!!

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I have heard they can get parasites from it. I sprinkle cayenne pepper on it and that seems to make the smell less appealing.
It also helps her do her business faster rather than searching for bunny drippings for fifteen minutes in the twenty degree weather lol.

I'd have to spend half my day searching out bunny poop and sprinklixngpepper... and then I'm petty sure I wouldn't find it all...

· Owned by a Havallon
3,774 Posts
I have heard they can get parasites from it. I sprinkle cayenne pepper on it and that seems to make the smell less appealing.
It also helps her do her business faster rather than searching for bunny drippings for fifteen minutes in the twenty degree weather lol.
If the dog is healthy, it is unlikely that the rabbit poop will cause them to get parasites IMO. Mine eat various kinds of wild animal poop and have never had a parasite problem.

· Registered
33 Posts
[
QUOTE="krandall, post: 1508130, member: 7369"]
I'd have to spend half my day searching out bunny poop and sprinklixngpepper... and then I'm petty sure I wouldn't find it all...
[/QUOTE]

My dog leads me right to them! I have a fairly small yard though, and you do have to reapply after it rains, I do it more to reinforce, that when I tell her to do her business, that should be her main mission. Fun time is for walks and parks, not for freezing cold nights when it is time to go to bed.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
If the dog is healthy, it is unlikely that the rabbit poop will cause them to get parasites IMO. Mine eat various kinds of wild animal poop and have never had a parasite problem.

I agree. Kodi has been eating it for almost 14 years and hasn't had a problem...

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
[
QUOTE="krandall, post: 1508130, member: 7369"]
My dog leads me right to them! I have a fairly small yard though, and you do have to reapply after it rains, I do it more to reinforce, that when I tell her to do her business, that should be her main mission. Fun time is for walks and parks, not for freezing cold nights when it is time to go to bed.
[/QUOTE]

My guys spend a fair amount of time just enjoying our fairly large (fenced) back yard.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have had a lot of medical appointments and sicknesses with Charlotte, our vet said that we should have dropped her off at the vet office the day we got her! She also said that Charlotte is “ the most delicate flower“ in her entire practice! Yup so I’m not taking ant chances with poop…… and her eating it. I’m on constant surveillance. She has managed to get some and not sick yet .

· Laura
226 Posts
Our dogs both got giardia twice last summer. After discussing all the places they frequent, she thought noshing on rabbit poo in our backyard was the most likely culprit. They do indeed often have it and it is spread through feces.

"Rabbits carry the parasite giardia duodenalis as part of their intestinal flora, and generally do not experience symptoms apart from occasional diarrhea. The parasite is secreted in their feces, however, and if a dog ingests the feces or consumes contaminated food or water, it may develop giardiasis as a result. "

· Registered
83 Posts
I’ve never seen a rabbit in my fenced yard but our local park is overrun with them. Worf definitely desires the forbidden puppy caviar and I try to discourage him eating it but it’s next to impossible to prevent entirely. I’d lose my voice from saying leave it so many times on a 30 minute walk.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
I’ve never seen a rabbit in my fenced yard but our local park is overrun with them. Worf definitely desires the forbidden puppy caviar and I try to discourage him eating it but it’s next to impossible to prevent entirely. I’d lose my voice from saying leave it so many times on a 30 minute walk.
We were out of the country over the summer and our housemate wasn't home either so the bunnies got really cheeky - when we did get home we'd walk out of the house and they'd just sit in the driveway until we were really close.

Perry will eat it - but he doesn't search it out and will walk away if I tell him to leave it, so I'm pretty lucky in that way. If he was in a fenced yard off leash I think it would be a different situation :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts