Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our first dog drama at the new house. My yorkie got into some burs, the likes of which I have never seen!!! They were the size of acorns and spidery looking. They were on his belly surrounding his male organ very close to the skin!!!! I remembered Karen’s bur solution and it worked great. It took awhile but they all came out. I had to massage the conditioner into them with my fingers to loosen them up. My yorkie was amazingly good. I don’t think Mia would have been that good!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
We had our first dog drama at the new house. My yorkie got into some burs, the likes of which I have never seen!!! They were the size of acorns and spidery looking. They were on his belly surrounding his male organ very close to the skin!!!! I remembered Karen’s bur solution and it worked great. It took awhile but they all came out. I had to massage the conditioner into them with my fingers to loosen them up. My yorkie was amazingly good. I don’t think Mia would have been that good!!!
Oh no! I'm glad the conditioner trick worked, anyway!

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
When we were camping Willow used to get burrs from the burdock that grew around the lake. Horrible things! Since we frequented that park I finally knew where to watch out for them but she still occasionally got into them. I would have to cut them out. Ugh, I remember when she got them around her mouth once. Here is a link to photos of the burrs on burdock. Is this what your yorkie got into? burdock burr - Google Search

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When we were camping Willow used to get burrs from the burdock that grew around the lake. Horrible things! Since we frequented that park I finally knew where to watch out for them but she still occasionally got into them. I would have to cut them out. Ugh, I remember when she got them around her mouth once. Here is a link to photos of the burrs on burdock. Is this what your yorkie got into? burdock burr - Google Search
Yes those look like the burs!!! He got them at my in laws while sticking his nose under a hostea looking for a chipmunk! I will definitely be watching for those. At the new house there is no vegetation near the house thank goodness. When we take a walk I try to keep them away from the edges of the woods! It is hard to avoid them though at this time of year.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Yes those look like the burs!!! He got them at my in laws while sticking his nose under a hostea looking for a chipmunk! I will definitely be watching for those. At the new house there is no vegetation near the house thank goodness. When we take a walk I try to keep them away from the edges of the woods! It is hard to avoid them though at this time of year.
Yes, outside the fenced area of our yard, along the edges of the woods, we have TONS of those. I try to keep the dogs out of thise areas anyway, because those are the areas where they are likely to pick up ticks too.

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, outside the fenced area of our yard, along the edges of the woods, we have TONS of those. I try to keep the dogs out of thise areas anyway, because those are the areas where they are likely to pick up ticks too.
I definitely avoid areas along the edge of woods. Here we have a wide trail which is helpful. The yorkie got the burs in my mother in laws’s yard and not near the woods. So this caught me off guard! Mia also got a different type of bur in her yard but not as bad. So far my Yorkie has gotten only two ticks and Mia none, I know they flare up in the fall but here it should be better than at the old house. That is my hope anyway!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
I definitely avoid areas along the edge of woods. Here we have a wide trail which is helpful. The yorkie got the burs in my mother in laws’s yard and not near the woods. So this caught me off guard! Mia also got a different type of bur in her yard but not as bad. So far my Yorkie has gotten only two ticks and Mia none, I know they flare up in the fall but here it should be better than at the old house. That is my hope anyway!
Ducky got his first tick today!:cry: It was newly attached, but BOY was it buried, and RIGHT in the cartilage of his poor little nose. I had to dig it out in pieces! I only found it as fast as I did, because I went to give him a bath, and saw it the moment I wet him down. It was still tiny, but getting ready for a big feed.:mad: I HATE those things!!!

And he was right in the flower garden in our back yard too, which means I need to pull out the Advantix and put it on all of them. I hate using it, but one TBD this year was plenty!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ducky got his first tick today!:cry: It was newly attached, but BOY was it buried, and RIGHT in the cartilage of his poor little nose. I had to dig it out in pieces! I only found it as fast as I did, because I went to give him a bath, and saw it the moment I wet him down. It was still tiny, but getting ready for a big feed.:mad: I HATE those things!!!

And he was right in the flower garden in our back yard too, which means I need to pull out the Advantix and put it on all of them. I hate using it, but one TBD this year was plenty!!!
Sorry to hear about poor Ducky. I have never had one stuck on their noses, although they LOVE the face area! I think they are taunting us by being right there in front of us but sometimes so hard to see. They are especially hard to see them on my black dog!

·
Registered
358 Posts

Ouch! Poor little guy! I’m glad you got it before I’d had feasted on him!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Sorry to hear about poor Ducky. I have never had one stuck on their noses, although they LOVE the face area! I think they are taunting us by being right there in front of us but sometimes so hard to see. They are especially hard to see them on my black dog!
I had one in my ear once, and the same thing happened… when they embed in the cartilage, it seems almost impossible to get them out without digging them out piece by piece. I felt SOOO bad for him! He was very brave!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had one in my ear once, and the same thing happened… when they embed in the cartilage, it seems almost impossible to get them out without digging them out piece by piece. I felt SOOO bad for him! He was very brave!
Beastly things…you would think they would attach where there is a greater blood supply but that does not always seem to be the case. Sounds like Ducky was not too traumatized by the experience! It is unfortunately something dogs have to suffer with in these tick laden areas. I think our new house location will be better but there is no real escaping them.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Beastly things…you would think they would attach where there is a greater blood supply but that does not always seem to be the case. Sounds like Ducky was not too traumatized by the experience! It is unfortunately something dogs have to suffer with in these tick laden areas. I think our new house location will be better but there is no real escaping them.

We've been lucky this year... We haven't seen ANY since early spring, and then I think I picked ONE crawler off of one dog. Now I picked another attached one (but still not at all engorged) off Kodi's head last night. I hated doing it, but they ALL got Advantix today. The risk is just too great if they are picking them up INSIDE the fenced yard. Not with the horrendous TBD going around. Not with Kodi being so sick earlier, and the tie between Hemangiosarcoma and Bartonella. A dear friend recently lost her WONDERFUL 8 hear old Havanese (Duck'y grandmother) to a chest full of Hemangio... And she was known to have been positive for Bartonella a few years ago. And Hemangio is known to be a long-term side effect of Bartonella. No thank you. I hate chemicals, but it's better than cancer. At least THAT one!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We've been lucky this year... We haven't seen ANY since early spring, and then I think I picked ONE crawler off of one dog. Now I picked another attached one (but still not at all engorged) off Kodi's head last night. I hated doing it, but they ALL got Advantix today. The risk is just too great if they are picking them up INSIDE the fenced yard. Not with the horrendous TBD going around. Not with Kodi being so sick earlier, and the tie between Hemangiosarcoma and Bartonella. A dear friend recently lost her WONDERFUL 8 hear old Havanese (Duck'y grandmother) to a chest full of Hemangio... And she was known to have been positive for Bartonella a few years ago. And Hemangio is known to be a long-term side effect of Bartonella. No thank you. I hate chemicals, but it's better than cancer. At least THAT one!!!
We had a terrible bout with ticks in April and May, the worst I have ever seen. That is peak season for us. Since then I have only seen a couple on Bear. However, there typically is a flare up in the fall when it gets cooler and moist. We all need to do what we need to do. I am hoping where we live now is better though. I think paying attention to peak season times can help minimize the chemicals vs. using them year round.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
We had a terrible bout with ticks in April and May, the worst I have ever seen. That is peak season for us. Since then I have only seen a couple on Bear. However, there typically is a flare up in the fall when it gets cooler and moist. We all need to do what we need to do. I am hoping where we live now is better though. I think paying attention to peak season times can help minimize the chemicals vs. using them year round.

And that's the problem. It IS "cool and damp" again here now. And yes, this is only the second time this year the big ones have had it on them, and the first time ever for Ducky!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And that's the problem. It IS "cool and damp" again here now. And yes, this is only the second time this year the big ones have had it on them, and the first time ever for Ducky!
During April and May my yorkie had at least one or two ticks on him every single day. That is a lot of ticks!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
During April and May my yorkie had at least one or two ticks on him every single day. That is a lot of ticks!
:eek: That's a WHOLE lot of ticks!!! I think I'd be tempted to keep them indoors at that point!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:eek: That's a WHOLE lot of ticks!!! I think I'd be tempted to keep them indoors at that point!!!
Yes that is a tempting thought. I wish they made a dog bug suit. Sort of like a mosquito net that fits over them! I did worry a bit about the boy getting an overdose of tick juice this year but he is doing okay. The thick woods and tons of leaves around the old house and neighborhood is ideal for ticks. Here it should be better. Plus there are miles of gravel roads to walk on if I really want to avoid them.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Yes that is a tempting thought. I wish they made a dog bug suit. Sort of like a mosquito net that fits over them! I did worry a bit about the boy getting an overdose of tick juice this year but he is doing okay. The thick woods and tons of leaves around the old house and neighborhood is ideal for ticks. Here it should be better. Plus there are miles of gravel roads to walk on if I really want to avoid them.
I assume you do a tick titer in the fall?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts