Havanese Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes that is a tempting thought. I wish they made a dog bug suit. Sort of like a mosquito net that fits over them! I did worry a bit about the boy getting an overdose of tick juice this year but he is doing okay. The thick woods and tons of leaves around the old house and neighborhood is ideal for ticks. Here it should be better. Plus there are miles of gravel roads to walk on if I really want to avoid them.
They DO make foxtail guards that could be helpful if they’re mostly getting them on their faces… a lot of dogs wear them around here, though not sure if they have them for small dogs… OutFox Field Guard Canine Foxtail Protection Hood

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
They DO make foxtail guards that could be helpful if they’re mostly getting them on their faces… a lot of dogs wear them around here, though not sure if they have them for small dogs… OutFox Field Guard Canine Foxtail Protection Hood
The problem is, they don't normally GET onto their face... they latch on where ever they can, but then they very often climb toward the head, where the blood vessels are closest to the surface to latch on. So that wouldn't really help. You would really need a whole body suit. And booties. They DO make such things... also mostly for foxtails I think. But they are a PAIN to get on and off for every day walks.

I didn't even check this brand to see if they have small enough sizes for Havanese, but here is one brand:

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I assume you do a tick titer in the fall?
We do full blood tests, TBD titers and heartworm tests twice yearly. The TBD titer is helpful but my vet never treats a TBD based on that because it can simply indicate that they have been bitten by a diseased tick and they mounted an immune response against it. She looks at symptoms as well as other blood test markers. They can be tricky to diagnose. My dogs both have the Ehrlichiosis antibody but no symptoms of disease. I did do a PCR test on Mia once for Ehrlichiosis but it was negative and the vet said that even that is not accurate at diagnosing Ehrlichiosis. Maybe some of the other TBDs are different but mine have only had the Ehrlichiosis antibody, no other TBD. My yorkie did have an elevated ALT at his fall blood test and I wonder if he could have been fighting a TBD. We retested six weeks later and he was normal again. So I assume whatever he was fighting was resolved.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The problem is, they don't normally GET onto their face... they latch on where ever they can, but then they very often climb toward the head, where the blood vessels are closest to the surface to latch on. So that wouldn't really help. You would really need a whole body suit. And booties. They DO make such things... also mostly for foxtails I think. But they are a PAIN to get on and off for every day walks.

I didn't even check this brand to see if they have small enough sizes for Havanese, but here is one brand:

I would love to see me getting this on my yorkie!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The problem is, they don't normally GET onto their face... they latch on where ever they can, but then they very often climb toward the head, where the blood vessels are closest to the surface to latch on.
So interesting! I thought that they got on their head from nosing in the brush… Having just wrangled a puppy into a Halloween costume for the first time, I can’t even imagine trying a full body suit!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
So interesting! I thought that they got on their head from nosing in the brush… Having just wrangled a puppy into a Halloween costume for the first time, I can’t even imagine trying a full body suit!!!
Well, of course that COULD also happen, but that isn’t the main way. Even horses get ticks… regularly, and they just climb up their legs or tail!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, of course that COULD also happen, but that isn’t the main way. Even horses get ticks… regularly, and they just climb up their legs or tail!
When my brother-in-law goes into ticky areas on our property he wears light colored pants and duct tapes his boots to the pants. The ticks will crawl up the outside of the pants but this buys you some time and allows you to see them better.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts