Havanese Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask you all a quick question. We are considering getting a Havanese puppy to join our family. Me and my wife both work and even though we work from home a lot, there are times (2-3 days a week at times) where no one is at home for 4-6 hours.

I have been asking breeders about whether this is OK since I was told that Havanese dogs are bred specifically for companionship. I have heard both sides: some breeders say you absolutely cannot leave Havanese dogs alone that long, others told us that you can train them, put them in a crate, and it's no problem at all.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I would REALLY love to get some feedback so I can make the right decision.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Ruby's mom
484 Posts
I have been able to leave Ruby for 4 hours with no problems since she was 3 months old. But if it was any longer I would get someone to come over for the sake of her bladder but mostly so she won't get anxious about being left.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You definitely have to train for it. Right when you bring your puppy home start leaving them for SHORT periods of time and build from there. And for a small puppy that has to pee frequently you should utilize a dog walker and ex-pen with an indoor potty system.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Molly is crate trained but I do not leave her confined to it if it is going to be several hours that I am gone. Instead I use a baby gate to confine her to my mudroom area. She has her crate(with door open), food and water, and toys. She does not potty in the house, but this way in an emergency she could just go on the tile floor if she couldn't hold it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been able to leave Ruby for 4 hours with no problems since she was 3 months old. But if it was any longer I would get someone to come over for the sake of her bladder but mostly so she won't get anxious about being left.
Thanks for the response. We definitely plan to get her a dog walker, especially early on. I just didn't know if we should stop considering Havanese altogether considering our work requirements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Molly is crate trained but I do not leave her confined to it if it is going to be several hours that I am gone. Instead I use a baby gate to confine her to my mudroom area. She has her crate(with door open), food and water, and toys. She does not potty in the house, but this way in an emergency she could just go on the tile floor if she couldn't hold it.
Molly looks so cute. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Melo is confined to the mudroom with his crate (opened), food, water, toys and his indoor potty option just in case. Whether we are gone for a short period, or 4 hours, he greets us in the same enthusiastic manner. Honestly I can walk down the driveway to get the mail and it was like I was gone the whole day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You definitely have to train for it. Right when you bring your puppy home start leaving them for SHORT periods of time and build from there. And for a small puppy that has to pee frequently you should utilize a dog walker and ex-pen with an indoor potty system.
Thanks, yes we will definitely get dog walker and utilize an ex-pen. Just wanted to be sure that we won't be putting the dog through unnecessary duress and stress since they are meant to be companion dogs, and don't see us at home for 4-6 hours (this should anyway happen only occasionally)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Melo is confined to the mudroom with his crate (opened), food, water, toys and his indoor potty option just in case. Whether we are gone for a short period, or 4 hours, he greets us in the same enthusiastic manner. Honestly I can walk down the driveway to get the mail and it was like I was gone the whole day.
Oh, that's so sweet! I can't wait to see a dog greet us like that :smile2:

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
Thanks for the response. We definitely plan to get her a dog walker, especially early on. I just didn't know if we should stop considering Havanese altogether considering our work requirements.
I think that people who work full days outside the house need to really think through how they will. Meet the needs of their Havanese. Even for those people, however, it can certainly can be worked out.

In your situation, there is no question it can be worked out. If you have to leave the dog for 6 hours more than once in a great while, I would set up a walker for the middle of the day. Four hours isn't a problem at all.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a dog of mine crated for that length of time during the day. I like them to be able to move around and stretch their legs. Instead, I'd use an ex-pen when they are younger, graduating to a gated off room when they are older. Some people allow their dogs free access to the entire house. But even the best behaved dog can get themselves in trouble when left to their own devices for a long period. I feel safer when I know they are in a safe, comfortable, but dog-proofed environment.

I also think that if you are planning on leaving a Havanese regularly for a number of hours, it is best if you train them from the time you first bring them home to use an indoor potty option... Either a litter box or a pee pad in a grate system like the UgoDog. Personally, I would never want to leave my dog's only option to be to pee on the floor. It might be easy to clean up, but a dog who has learned not to go potty in the wrong place will be very distressed at having no option. They will also hold their waste long past what is healthy in an effort to remain clean.

My dogs have often been left for 4 hours at a time without any difficulty at all. When my husband was in the hospital for a week and a half I needed to be at the hospital with him most of each day, and the hospital was in the city, an hour and a half a day. I only had Kodi then, and he was fully adult. But it was impossible to find a dog sitter on such short notice, and while friends tried to help out, there were days when he was alone for 8 hours or more. He had his litter box, water bottle, and a couple of antlers to chew on. He was gated in my office, and did just fine. It wouldn't have been my choice for an every day thing, but he did fine in a pinch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that people who work full days outside the house need to really think through how they will. Meet the needs of their Havanese. Even for those people, however, it can certainly can be worked out.

In your situation, there is no question it can be worked out. If you have to leave the dog for 6 hours more than once in a great while, I would set up a walker for the middle of the day. Four hours isn't a problem at all.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a dog of mine crated for that length of time during the day. I like them to be able to move around and stretch their legs. Instead, I'd use an ex-pen when they are younger, graduating to a gated off room when they are older. Some people allow their dogs free access to the entire house. But even the best behaved dog can get themselves in trouble when left to their own devices for a long period. I feel safer when I know they are in a safe, comfortable, but dog-proofed environment.

I also think that if you are planning on leaving a Havanese regularly for a number of hours, it is best if you train them from the time you first bring them home to use an indoor potty option... Either a litter box or a pee pad in a grate system like the UgoDog. Personally, I would never want to leave my dog's only option to be to pee on the floor. It might be easy to clean up, but a dog who has learned not to go potty in the wrong place will be very distressed at having no option. They will also hold their waste long past what is healthy in an effort to remain clean.

My dogs have often been left for 4 hours at a time without any difficulty at all. When my husband was in the hospital for a week and a half I needed to be at the hospital with him most of each day, and the hospital was in the city, an hour and a half a day. I only had Kodi then, and he was fully adult. But it was impossible to find a dog sitter on such short notice, and while friends tried to help out, there were days when he was alone for 8 hours or more. He had his litter box, water bottle, and a couple of antlers to chew on. He was gated in my office, and did just fine. It wouldn't have been my choice for an every day thing, but he did fine in a pinch.
Awesome, great to hear. Looks like if we are able to make sure that all their needs are satisfied (and we have a dog walker come by), it would not be a problem. BTW, you have very sweet dogs :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I leave Raffi gated in one room for up to six hours with no problem. He has his crate, water, teething ring and toys as well as a potty option but rarely uses it. I gradually worked up to this long. He seems to spend most of his time sleeping. I always go out through the garage when I am leaving. That lets him know I will be gone. If I leave through the front door he seems to think I am just going outside and he isn't being allowed to go outside with me. I am retired from teaching but am starting a part time job so I am glad I already have him used to being alone. When I am home of course he is always with me. One time before I started leaving only through the garage he actually figured out how to open the gate! He met me at the front door and I found the gate opened. I am sure he had watched me open it enough that he figured it out! He hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I leave Raffi gated in one room for up to six hours with no problem. He has his crate, water, teething ring and toys as well as a potty option but rarely uses it. I gradually worked up to this long. He seems to spend most of his time sleeping. I always go out through the garage when I am leaving. That lets him know I will be gone. If I leave through the front door he seems to think I am just going outside and he isn't being allowed to go outside with me. I am retired from teaching but am starting a part time job so I am glad I already have him used to being alone. When I am home of course he is always with me. One time before I started leaving only through the garage he actually figured out how to open the gate! He met me at the front door and I found the gate opened. I am sure he had watched me open it enough that he figured it out! He hasn't done it since.
Wow, Raffi sounds like a very smart boy :) Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful

·
I love pups!
379 Posts
All dogs need attention in that case you need to leave him for 4-6 hours. I think its better to leave him to your relatives or family to have someone take care of him. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts